Page 31 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    This seems too much to me like Moby-Dick set in the Star Trek universe, and for me that is not working at all.
    Star Trek has had several Moby Dick stories before that worked quite well... but that might be the problem, too. We've seen lots of damaged people driven to obsession and possible self destruction almost take our enterprising crews down with them, like Commodore Decker, Captain Benjamin Maxwell, Admiral Norah Satie, or even Picard himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Another good episode, I think I'm at the point where I can recommend the series now.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Great episode.

Loved Mudd.

I didn't like how in the end it was played for laughs and he got to play karma Houdini after killing at least 7000 people though.

The episode was great but its ending was rubbish. Forget the fact that Mudd is now a sadistic mass murderer. He knows exactly how the ultimate weapon the Federation has against the Klingons works... and he has even more reasons to hate the crew and the Federation now. Unless Stella and her father keep him in a cell without any communication, he'll probably let the Klingons know the truth for free. If the aim was to have a funny TOS-style resolution, it failed. At least they got Stella right. I was just happy for another non-gloom and doom episode. You can plainly see when the writing staff switched over. I expect at least one more such episode before the inevitable horrors of the mid-season finale.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I saw one Star Trek costume this year and zero Star Wars ones!!! The war is over, Star Trek is the superior franchise! We need a Star Trek board now!

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    The episode was great but its ending was rubbish. Forget the fact that Mudd is now a sadistic mass murderer. He knows exactly how the ultimate weapon the Federation has against the Klingons works... and he has even more reasons to hate the crew and the Federation now. Unless Stella and her father keep him in a cell without any communication, he'll probably let the Klingons know the truth for free. If the aim was to have a funny TOS-style resolution, it failed. At least they got Stella right. I was just happy for another non-gloom and doom episode. You can plainly see when the writing staff switched over. I expect at least one more such episode before the inevitable horrors of the mid-season finale.
    Wasn't Stella supposed to be unattractive? Or perhaps I just thought the Stella from the original series was unattractive...

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Wasn't Stella supposed to be unattractive? Or perhaps I just thought the Stella from the original series was unattractive...
    The hair colour and crazy attitude were right. That was enough for me.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The scenery in this last episode was fantastic!

I found the Klingon stuff confusing...though I guess now that I thought about it more it makes sense. It just wasn't immediately clear to me that Laura was taking the captains "body" to a morgue (since it doesn't look like one) and I thought her crew was massacred.

Also for episode 5 I didn't think Laura was the captain of the ship that captured Lorca. The two didn't look the same to me, but in the flashback of this episode they made those scenes brighter and I could tell it was her.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-07-2017 at 12:07 AM.

I really enjoyed the episode. I liked how different, unrelated story threads were progressing alongside each other, like the Burnham/Saru/Tyler away mission, the confrontation between L'Rell and Cornwell, and the smaller plotline concerning Stamets mental condition. The Pahvo stuff was my favourite; I really like Saru and how he relates to Michael, and I think this episode did a nice job unveiling a bit more about how Saru 'ticks', both in terms of details on his species physiologyy, as well as Saru's own personal little demons he has to come to terms with. Also, I'd like to say I'm still totally on the Michael Burnham bandwagon; I think she's a great POV character. Sonequa's doing a pretty awesome job IMHO. My only complaint would be about the romance between Michael and Ash, which I find has zero chemistry. But considering the fan theories for Ash, it might not last in the long run.

I was also confused about what had happened to Cornwell. L'Rell dragged her body away, but was she dead or just unconscious? This show's already had some rather unceremonious deaths for characters they had been setting up to be potentially interesting, but maybe L'Rell has some kind of ace up her sleeve and Cornwell is to play a role in that. Either way, probably my favourite episode yet.
    Last edited by Mormel; 11-07-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Saru crushed those communicators like tin foil. Guess his species has super strength (compared to humans). Don't know why they're afraid all the time, heh heh.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Saru crushed those communicators like tin foil. Guess his species has super strength (compared to humans). Don't know why they're afraid all the time, heh heh.
    A horse could bash the skull in of most predators with a single kick, but nevertheless chooses to flee instead of fighting. It's mostly because any creature hunting it is either better equipped to win a tussle, or hunts in packs. Now if Saru can squeeze a dent in a communicator with ease, imagine what kind of scary critters must prey on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Great episode.
    Loved Mudd.
    I didn't like how in the end it was played for laughs and he got to play karma Houdini after killing at least 7000 people though.
    Agreed. The ending was terrible misjudged. I did like Rapp getting more attention, though the episode was very Cause & Effect. I wasn't entirely sure why everyone started remembering things, when they made it clear only Rapp could because of the jumps. But hey... that's a minor fault, it was a good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Ohhhh... is Mudd from the original series?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I really enjoyed the episode. I liked how different, unrelated story threads were progressing alongside each other, like the Burnham/Saru/Tyler away mission, the confrontation between L'Rell and Cornwell, and the smaller plotline concerning Stamets mental condition. The Pahvo stuff was my favourite; I really like Saru and how he relates to Michael, and I think this episode did a nice job unveiling a bit more about how Saru 'ticks', both in terms of details on his species physiologyy, as well as Saru's own personal little demons he has to come to terms with. Also, I'd like to say I'm still totally on the Michael Burnham bandwagon; I think she's a great POV character. Sonequa's doing a pretty awesome job IMHO. My only complaint would be about the romance between Michael and Ash, which I find has zero chemistry. But considering the fan theories for Ash, it might not last in the long run.
    Agreed about Michael and Ash, ohhhhhh what's the fan theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I was also confused about what had happened to Cornwell. L'Rell dragged her body away, but was she dead or just unconscious? This show's already had some rather unceremonious deaths for characters they had been setting up to be potentially interesting, but maybe L'Rell has some kind of ace up her sleeve and Cornwell is to play a role in that. Either way, probably my favourite episode yet.
    I was confused if she was dead or not too. I did like that it's a two parter. And I'm warming to Michael, now we've had more episodes of other people doing things. Was it me or was Saru's make-up... not consistent this episode?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I wasn't entirely sure why everyone started remembering things, when they made it clear only Rapp could because of the jumps. But hey... that's a minor fault, it was a good episode.
    Everyone didn't start remembering. They just stopped showing Stamets making explanations as the audience had seen it several times already.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

Agreed about Michael and Ash, ohhhhhh what's the fan theory?
    Carabas and nx01a briefly talked about it before, it's heavily speculated that
    spoilers:
    Ash Tyler is really Voq undercover, which is why we haven't seen him (Voq) since episode 4. A clue is that the actor who is said to portray Voq, Javid Iqbal, has no IMDB credits to his name aside from Discovery. So it's thought that it's really Shazad Latif's face underneath all of Voq's Klingon make-up, and Javid Iqbal doesn't exist.
    end of spoilers