Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Default DC Comics Suspends Eddie Berganza

Thought about posting this to the earlier thread, but I thought this was big enough news that it deserved a new one:

"DC Entertainment has immediately suspended Mr. Berganza and has removed him from performing his duties as Group Editor at DC Comics. There will be a prompt and yet careful review into next steps as it relates to the allegations against him, and the concerns our talent, employees and fans have shared. DC continues to be extremely committed to creating a safe and secure working environment for our employees and everyone involved in the creation of our comic books."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...ddie-berganza/

BANNED

This is long overdue.

I'm assuming this is just the first step to getting him out of DC completely. People have said that DC might run into some legal trouble if they fire him now, but that will have to be the price they pay for how they dealt with him in the first place.

Now that we know that people like Bob Harras were fully aware of Berganza's behavior and did so little to rectify the problem, they need to go too.

I'm not going to say good on DC, because they're only doing this because they're finally forced to, but I'm glad.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Like some other poster mentioned, Eddie must have some dirt on the big guys at DC otherwise how the hell could he have stayed this long with the **** he's been pulling? Hopefully this is leads to his dismissal but he probably knows too much.

On the one hand, I'm sure legal constraints kept DC's hands tied somewhat. On the other hand, they should never have allowed Harras to promote him. Harras was more than an enabler, but rewarded Berganza with more power. Didn't Harras bring Lobdell onboard as well when the New 52 hit? (https://www.themarysue.com/scot-lobd...al-harassment/)

Anyway, I wonder who the new Super-titles editor will be - maybe someone from the editorial team right now, like Jessica Chen (https://twitter.com/jesswchen/status/895395511657668609), Paul Kaminski (https://twitter.com/paul_kaminski/st...884672?lang=en), Mike Cotton (https://twitter.com/michaelcotton?lang=en), or Andrea Shea? Or maybe someone new to the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not going to say good on DC, because they're only doing this because they're finally forced to, but I'm glad.
    Yep. This would never have happened without their embarrassment over the BuzzFeed article and the fallout from it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Whoa. Huge attention brought about some serious stuff. This sounds like a coded situation when it comes to his employment status.

Social media power is pretty mindblowing. I definitely underestimated that power, but I guess that feeds into how the problem perpetuated. Years of these accounts but now the copied and spread BF article finally turned the heat up on DC like I was too cynical to believe possible.

Yeah.

Hopefully this is the first step on kicking him out.

Eddie out? Bendis in, probably with Superman.

Ah, DC Comics. I see what you did there!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm seriously debating if I should even keep reading DC at this point. How far up does this go? I feel guilty having financially supported this for as long as I have. Of course that would knock down a lot of my Christmas list! And I've only got three books to go before I finish three of my collections! Smallville has already been taken from me. I don't want to lose anything more. But I also can't overlook something like this either.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

*shrug*

I like to support all the people not Berganza who put work in on my favorite product. If anything maybe more people will support Superman with him removed.

This feels like it's been a long-time coming, and shouldn't have taken this long to begin with, but it's good to see DC finally making progress on ousting Berganza.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm seriously debating if I should even keep reading DC at this point. How far up does this go? I feel guilty having financially supported this for as long as I have. Of course that would knock down a lot of my Christmas list! And I've only got three books to go before I finish three of my collections! Smallville has already been taken from me. I don't want to lose anything more. But I also can't overlook something like this either.
    I sympathize with what you're saying, but:

A: we outside of the industry have no real way of knowing who far up it goes;

B: I think most of us support bad things without knowing it - I'm thinking about all the industries that we support one way or another, like clothing companies, phone companies, big business farming, Hollywood, etc. I'm sure there are people in power who've abused their power in all those industries. I'm not saying we shouldn't be mad about it, or that we shouldn't do something about it, but it's ubiquitous - it existed (exists?) at DC, and I'm sure it exists in many other places;

C: good people work at DC too. If we stop supporting them, people who choose to make comics because they love comics, in spite of a working environment that sometimes (too often?) sours into being toxic, will lose out.

None of this is to say we should ever be quiet when we learn about the abuses of those in power. Major respect to the women who spoke out. And its our job to support them - without the moral clamor of fans and reporters, Berganza would still have a job.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    I sympathize with what you're saying, but:

A: we outside of the industry have no real way of knowing who far up it goes;

B: I think most of us support bad things without knowing it - I'm thinking about all the industries that we support one way or another, like clothing companies, phone companies, big business farming, Hollywood, etc. I'm sure there are people in power who've abused their power in all those industries. I'm not saying we shouldn't be mad about it, or that we shouldn't do something about it, but it's ubiquitous - it existed (exists?) at DC, and I'm sure it exists in many other places;

C: good people work at DC too. If we stop supporting them, people who choose to make comics because they love comics, in spite of a working environment that sometimes (too often?) sours into being toxic, will lose out.

None of this is to say we should ever be quiet when we learn about the abuses of those in power. Major respect to the women who spoke out. And its our job to support them - without the moral clamor of fans and reporters, Berganza would still have a job.
    I know. The only way to escape stuff like this is to hole yourself up in a cave. Still, it's frustrating to think that even a little bit of my money went to line this guy's pockets.
    Assassinate Putin!

This. They've known about and ignored it for a long time and only doing it now because they've been publicly shamed into doing it. But at least it's done.
    Power with Girl is better.