Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wish-list For The Finchs' Run?

Now that we have word that the Finchs are officially taking over Wonder Woman come November, what are your hopes for the series under them?

Mine:

1.) Cheetah within the first 6 issues. Seriously, the Wonder-rogues, after being absent from this book for 3 years deserve to make a major come-back. The Finchs' first priority should be to reintroduce and modernize Diana's villains. I'm hoping that new threats will be kept to a minimum for at least 18 months while Diana squares off with the likes of Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Circe, Queen Clea, Dr. Poison, etc.

2.) We learn why Diana put on a costume, left Themyscira, and why she became known as "Wonder Woman".

3.) The full details on Diana's relationship with Steve Trevor and A.R.G.U.S. revealed. I'd also like to see Steve regularly appear as an ally to Diana.

4.) Diana making some friends beyond Zola and Hessia. Let's see her build relationships with Etta Candy, Helena Sandsmark, Donna Troy, Artemis(the Amazon), Black Canary, and Batwoman.

5.) Build up the Amazons from their current savage barbarian state to something more credible and inspirational. Have them start creating their own technology, abandoning their brutal stance toward men, and working to improve their civilization.

6.) Ditch the 7-Eleven bracelets and sword and rely primary on the lasso, tiara, and bracelets as Diana's primary weapons.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Now that we have word that the Finchs are officially taking over Wonder Woman come November, what are your hopes for the series under them?

Mine:

1.) Cheetah within the first 6 issues. Seriously, the Wonder-rogues, after being absent from this book for 3 years deserve to make a major come-back. The Finchs' first priority should be to reintroduce and modernize Diana's villains. I'm hoping that new threats will be kept to a minimum for at least 18 months while Diana squares off with the likes of Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Circe, Queen Clea, Dr. Poison, etc.

2.) We learn why Diana put on a costume, left Themyscira, and why she became known as "Wonder Woman".

3.) The full details on Diana's relationship with Steve Trevor and A.R.G.U.S. revealed. I'd also like to see Steve regularly appear as an ally to Diana.

4.) Diana making some friends beyond Zola and Hessia. Let's see her build relationships with Etta Candy, Helena Sandsmark, Donna Troy, Artemis(the Amazon), Black Canary, and Batwoman.

5.) Build up the Amazons from their current savage barbarian state to something more credible and inspirational. Have them start creating their own technology, abandoning their brutal stance toward men, and working to improve their civilization.

6.) Ditch the 7-Eleven bracelets and sword and rely primary on the lasso, tiara, and bracelets as Diana's primary weapons.
    I like everything you said except I say keep the magic bracelets. I like that she has an armory at her disposal without having to carry any of it around. Plus, it gives the bracelets more purpose...now they are deflective, god mode inhibitors and magic (to produce weaponry.) But, I'd like to see them used a lot less for the god mode and swords.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I like everything you said except I say keep the magic bracelets. I like that she has an armory at her disposal without having to carry any of it around. Plus, it gives the bracelets more purpose...now they are deflective, god mode inhibitors and magic (to produce weaponry.) But, I'd like to see them used a lot less for the god mode and swords.

I don't see the point of the weapon-conjuring bracelets. Diana already has the lasso, tiara, and bracelets plus her Olympian abilities, why does she need a sword, spear, bow, etc. Plus, they come off as a utility-belt or a power-ring and the Justice League already has both of those.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Here is what I want for the run.

Re-focus on the original goal of Wonder Woman being "in a man's world" which means more human stuff rather than gods stuff. She was disconnected from the world for too long when she is supposed to be connected. Let's see her with people like Etta. Continuing the ARGUS plot is also an option to have more connect to the wider DCU.

She's a superhero. Own it. She hasn't been fighting crime in her solo for ages now. What is she, an X-Man? (get it? because they mostly fight each other now teehee). Take this to build up her rogues gallery. Cheetah, Circe, Giganta, etc, etc. Also some new ones too; ones who aren't like the overpowered plot device ones like First Born or Genocide, but smaller ones who are capable of recurring and being a continuing part of the WW story. Have each arc bring in a different villain for her to fight, then circle back round and bring them back. Maybe have them team up against her? Lots of things to be done. Her rogues gallery isn't something to write off, it's something that can easily be salvaged and built up with a little effort put in.

Change things up a lot as the run continues. Diana has the ability to fit in so many different genres. Being in the same story arc for three years has made people think she's only a myth hero, but she's not just that one thing. She can be in so many different situations. Change the genre every story arc or so, so that her versatility as a character can be shown. Superman can be fighting aliens invasions one minute and then having a battle of wits with Luthor. Batman can be fighting a supernatural creepy thing under Arkham one minute, next minute has a world wide ninja adventure against the League of Assassins and then the next minute be having a riddle-off with the Riddler. Diana is just as good as these guys and is capable of doing the same kind of things. If the writer feels like a story is out of their comfort zone, then that's even more reason to do it!

Wonder Woman front and center. She is the focus. While it's good to have a supporting cast, they can't overshadow her. I felt like the current run was mostly the story just pulling Diana along with the "hero falls into it" kind of story. I want to see the hero is pro-active and decides to do thing story. I want to see new writers having her take initiative and go after the adventure! She is an explorer, a solver of mysteries, she is anything she wants to be! That's what being a superhero is all about. She's gotta be a go-getter.

She needs to be fallible. I see a lot of people seem to complain when she's struggling in a fight by saying that's is sexist to make her struggle in a fight. That's crazy. All heroes have to struggle in their fight, otherwise it's not a fun read and the character becomes a mary-sue. It makes sense that Doomsday did a number on her. It's bloody Doomsday! What is she supposed to do; channel her unbeatable deus ex powers and defeat all the bad guys at once without even a scratch on her? No way. A hero has to struggle at first until they finally pull through. They have flaws, as do everyone. A poster here said they liked how Diana considers herself quite single minded. I agree with that poster, it's good to make the character have a fallible trait. Saying it's sexist to make somebody fallible is a sexist statement in itself via positive discrimination. Scott Snyder's Batman run is successful for many reasons, one of which is that he doesn't have "Bat-god" since people were sick of it. I'd be sick of other heroes that were overpowered too. Heck, let's Wonder Woman lose a fight to a villain she hasn't figured out yet; then she realises what she has to do and comes back better than ever!

tl;dr
    - Focus on WW's connection with humanity
    - More super-heroics and villains
    - Variety of genres for her to experience
    - Focus on WW's characterisation
    - Make her fallible and human
    - Cyclops was wrong you guys
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

I don't see the point of the weapon-conjuring bracelets. Diana already has the lasso, tiara, and bracelets plus her Olympian abilities, why does she need a sword, spear, bow, etc. Plus, they come off as a utility-belt or a power-ring and the Justice League already has both of those.
    I guess from my POV, the point is that it's a creative addition that I like. And it keeps her from carrying a sword around.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

She needs those weapons because she's a warrior and she knows how to use them to devastating effect against her enemies. A lot of bad guys know how to fight with their fists and feet. Not so many know what to do against a lady with a sword, spear, what have you. It let's Diana showcase what makes her unique from Superman. A bow in particular gives her the option of a ranged game, which is always nice.

The bracelets give Diana a lot of options and flexibility. They also eliminate the unpleasant sight of Diana walking around with lethal weaponry prominently displayed on her person. They're there when a writer needs them to be and gone when he/she doesn't. Best possible compromise between her warrior side and her peaceful side. She carries no weapons unless she needs them.

Anywho, my list?

You pretty much nailed it, except for the bracelets part.

1.) Classic Rogues. ALL THE CLASSIC ROGUES! Moo-hoo-ha-ha!........*regains composure* or at least, you know, a good number of them. Would be nice.

2.) Superheroic stories. No one's a bigger mythology nut than I am, but even I'm ready for Diana to get back to saving people and fighting super criminals for a while.

3.) Elevating the Amazons is a must. Bringing back the better Amazons like Artemis and Phillipus is also a must.

4.) Interpersonal realtions? Hells yeah! Let's see Diana re-connect with the people in he world with whom she should already be connected. Cassie, Donna, Steve (preferably a Steve who has moved on with his life and WON'T be trying to make her uncomfortable all the time), Black Canary, Batwoman, you name it. I want Diana to be one of the most well-connected characters EVER.

5.) Some filling out of Diana's backstory would be very welcome. Assuming Azz isn't SOMEHOW going to do that in the time he's got left.

Getting even a couple of these items will please me greatly.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Okay, listen up and listen up good as I'm very short on patience today.

This is a thread to discuss the content of the book when the new creative team comes on board.

This is NOT the thread to come in with smartass one liners about not wanting this creative team. In fact, there is no place on this *board* for smartass one liners about not wanting a creative team.

Knock it off.

Warnings are being sent and if it doesn't stop, bans will be requested.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

1) They said that there would be crossovers with the other books so i hope they dont overdo it like how "Batman and ____" has. WW could use some help from a crossover or two, but it should be in moderation. My second hope would be that they choose crossovers that have something to give besides readers. For example another Batwoman crossover would be good. Or Aquaman, Zatanna, Shazam. Not just BM and SM. You get my point.

2) That they continue to write WW's character and powers the way Azzarello has but improve on the Amazons. I'm not sure i like the Manazons on the island (or at all actually). It's also high time the gods take a big break because they have been stifling the book.

3) They get Johns or Morrison on the phone and ask them how to reinvent the rogues. They are the best two DC has for this job so i hope they're willing to share. That said, Johns' Cheetah was horrible (what the hell was that vampire gimmick?) as is new52 Giganta (if that was his idea). So update and generally work on the rogues and bring back the old Giganta.

4) Some big story that develops into a DC event where Diana and the Amazons are the protagonists (and the good guys DC!). Like how GL got Blackest Night.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 07-01-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    1) They said that there would be crossovers with the other books so i hope they dont overdo it like how "Batman and ____" has. WW could use some help from a crossover or two, but it should be in moderation. My second hope would be that they choose crossovers that have something to give besides readers. For example another Batwoman crossover would be good. Or Aquaman. Not just BM and SM. You get my point.

2) That they continue to write WW's character and powers the way Azzarello has but improve on the Amazons. I'm not sure i like the Manazons on the island (or at all actually). It's also high time the gods take a big break because they have been stifling the book.

3) They get Johns or Morrison on the phone and ask them how to reinvent the rogues. They are the best two DC has for this job so i hope they're willing to share. That said, Johns' Cheetah was horrible (what the hell was that vampire gimmick?) as is new52 Giganta (if that was his idea). So update and generally work on the rogues and bring back the old Giganta.

4) Some big story that develops into a DC event where Diana and the Amazons are the protagonists (and the good guys DC!). Like how GL got Blackest Night.

I think Wonder Woman is long overdue for a universe spanning event. She hasn't had one since War of the Gods(no I don't count "Amazons Attack" because I still despise it to this day).

Mighty Member

I hope it does the following:

1. Dare to have as fun with JLA as this did with the greek myths. Keep it a bit pulpy.
    2. Finds it's own voice and brings in some fun characters, making it fresh. Big Barda perhaps?
    3. That Finch starts drawing Diana more bulky and imposing (instead of just posing looking).
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-01-2014 at 09:09 AM.

I'm a keep it simple, I just want to see Wonder Girl as a reacurring supporting character, that's all...
    #MagnetoWasRight

BANNED

A team up with Mary Marvel when they give her powers. Or one with Star Girl.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A team up with Mary Marvel when they give her powers. Or one with Star Girl.
    I'll add to this by saying that I'd like to see Diana become something of a mentor for just about all the young heroines.

That one issue of Gail's run where Diana teamed up with all those teen heroes was one of my favorite Wonder Woman moments of all time.

I'd love to see that once again.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Keep the CAST!!!

The cast is presently Zola, Hermes, Zeke and (I'm told) soon to be joined by ALEKA, ..seemingly, a Lothar to Diana's Mandrake. Great cast! We should know these names like Jimmy Olsen and Alfred Pennyworth. They should be a s familiar to us as the drafts on our drawers! They should go with Wondy, like bacon and eggs! Hope the Finches leave the cast alone and add Steve Trevor, once in a while. Fatten Etta up, and I might warm up to her, too.

Hope the Finches add on to what Mr. Azzarello has built, because Azzarello built a good thing, with plenty room for future creators. No 'bold, new direction', please.

Keep the flaming CAST!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-01-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Keep the CAST!!!

The cast is presently Zola, Hermes, Zeke and (I'm told) soon to be joined by ALEKA, ..seemingly, a Lothar to Diana's Mandrake. Great cast! We should know these names like Jimmy Olsen and Alfred Pennyworth. They should be a s familiar to us as the drafts on our drawers! They should go with Wondy, like bacon and eggs! Hope the Finches leave the cast alone and add Steve Trevor, once in a while. Fatten Etta up, and I might warm up to her, too.

Hope the Finches add on to what Mr. Azzarello has built, because Azzarello built a good thing, with plenty room for future creators. No 'bold, new direction', please.

Keep the flaming CAST!
    I agree. Constant new directions are the bane of this titles existence. take what Azzerello did and add to it.