Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Super excited to have finally gotten all my recent art purchases in the mail. These are from the last six months or so

https://imgur.com/a/8vfoO

Incredible Member

Question for the group that is interested in the Original Art aspect of our hobby:

As we move more into the digital age, what are some opinions on how art could or could not be considered original if it is created fully digitally? What sparked this is I have a mutual friend with an artist who does some work for Marvel from time to time. He did a Variant cover that I wanted to reach out and see if I could acquire only to find out it was a completely digital creation. Speaking with the mutual friend he pointed out that one could potentially request a "limited edition" 1 of 1 print from the artist and that could be considered the original, but for me that just doesn't hold the same (for lack of a better term) prestige. I would always look at it as a print not as an original drawing because there could potentially always be other editions created. Any other thoughts or opinions?
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Mighty Member

Yeah its an interesting argument. For all intents and purposes the digital art is original in all the same ways except for pen to paper, but i can't get over that feeling of a "print" either, especially with some of the prices. As you mentioned a few go this route with 1/1 signed high quality prints (Janin and Dauterman come to mind) and others will create the majority digitally save for covers and certain splashes (Marquez and Bogdanovic do this), selling off regular digital panel pages as aforementioned. This to me seems the way to go personally. But as digital inevitably becomes more and more the standard, i think the stigma may subside eventually.

*As a side quandry, many do pencils and inks separately. Some see the inks as the finished product, as that is what makes it to print and is colored , but they're done on copied lines. So where is the line drawn? (Pun intended) It's really up to the individual. But for "investment" purposes it's probably good to have feel for the market
    Last edited by awayne83; 10-25-2017 at 02:12 PM.

It would be an extremely limited print, but ultimately just a print. Not OA.

Prints have their own merits, but i personally wouldnt place as much value on them relative to a pencilled/inked piece.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Super excited to have finally gotten all my recent art purchases in the mail. These are from the last six months or so

wow! all of them look amazing!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    It would be an extremely limited print, but ultimately just a print. Not OA.

Prints have their own merits, but i personally wouldnt place as much value on them relative to a pencilled/inked piece.
    I have to respectfully disagree sbout it not being OA. Plenty of digital artists commission works. That in itself is the definition of OA.

Incredible Member

I have to respectfully disagree sbout it not being OA. Plenty of digital artists commission works. That in itself is the definition of OA.
    I can totally see both sides of the argument although I lean a bit more with Dark-flux. That's why I posed the question to see if there are compelling arguments on the other side.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Awayne83, very nice drawings indeed!
    My wrinkle on the 'is digital art' "real" 'original art' is that I guess I can see how it might well come to be seen that way. But...
    I like seeing the brush strokes, I like seeing the original blue lines under the inked images, I like seeing/reading the editor's and others' marginal comments; that to me is part of what I like about pen and ink pages.
    I suppose it's a whole other topic whether or not single-image/splash page art is more than 'drawings' compared to paneled pages as 'actual comics' art... anther discussion another time perhaps?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

incredible. thank you for sharing!

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

I have a couple of very Awesome splash pages from Tom Strong (by Duncan Fegredo) on eBay right now. Forgot if I'm allowed to post links here
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    I have a couple of very Awesome splash pages from Tom Strong (by Duncan Fegredo) on eBay right now. Forgot if I'm allowed to post links here
    no sorry no links to personal sales but I think based on description people should be able to find them.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    no sorry no links to personal sales but I think based on description people should be able to find them.
    Thanks Balakin
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

I was happy to get this in the mail today. As a big Superboy/Wonder Girl shipper, I wanted this once I saw it. Fortunately, my recent birthday gave me the excuse to buy it. From Wonder Woman #153:

https://imgur.com/tnVdfWs

Mighty Member

Nice. I should probably get some more panel pages. They seem to represent the artform better. Most if mine are splashes/covers.

*edited for clarity
    Last edited by awayne83; 12-13-2017 at 04:02 AM.

I would argue that the artists original file is the OA, or even just the art in digital form. But a print of said art, even a one-off is still just a reproduction. Its no different to a limited variant cover that was done digitally. Still not OA.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 12-12-2017 at 03:59 AM.