Page 195 of 254 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 3801

Omg so Gal Gadot came into my job today. She's so beautiful. With no make up!

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    OMG!! That's FRAKKING AWESOME!!

Are you ok? I mean, I presume you had a heart attack and fainted straight away. Like I would have.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Nice! What's your job?

BANNED

This film is going to become an unexpected smash, and all the doubters are going to be pleasantly blindsided by the fact that their negativity was proven wrong. The only reason some people see an 83 million dollar OW and a 225 million dollar domestic total (the same as Dr. Strange, Thor 2) is because the iconic quality of WW would make one believe that she would open at least with 100 million and end up with at least 300 million domestic. However, we need to remember that a huge part of her icon status is by default: she is the only female superhero that any of the comic companies even bothered promoting throughout the decades. Her presence is pop culture has not been even 1/3 as relentless as Bats, Supes, or Spidey, all of whom have more than 4 highly successful movies a piece and all of whom have been relentlessly plastered over every kind of merchnadising imaginable in more than 6 decades. Wonder Woman may be an icon, but she needs to establish herself as a feasible movie property. I have no doubt that she will get there; once Wonder Woman is a smash, the floodgates will truly be opened and we will get not only sequels but reboots down the road. That is what I look forward in the future the most: a world in which the character is firmly established in Hollywood as a property worthy of being revamped, rebooted, and remade endlessly. Surely we will see varying degrees of quality in all of those potential sequels and reboots, but that is to be expected. However, just the thrill of knowing that at some point down the road we will get a, say, 4-film Wonder Box-Set full of Diana-goodness is mouth-watering.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

More points about this "projection."

1.) These kind of projections always have a way of going up as the movie release draws nearer. This is just an initial estimate that will likely go up more than once before June.

2.) This projection doesn't even take into account one of the most important factors in judging a movie's likely box office success: pre-sales. Pre-sales haven't even started for Wonder Woman yet.

3.) These projections are not always accurate. Dr. Strange was projected to have a MUCH lower opening box office than it ended up making. It made like twice its projection, if I recall correctly. And that was a Marvel movie, with all the strength of the MCU brand behind it. Still the projections for it were way smaller than one might expect. Dr. Strange proved those projections wrong. Wonder Woman probably will too.

Addendum: Dr. Strange also had a higher budget than the Wonder Woman movie is believed to have. Low projections did nothing to stop it from being an unquestioned smash hit.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 04-09-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I can bet a kidney that the WW movie will have a great box office performance and positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    Nice! What's your job?
    I work in a luxury store in Beverly Hills. And she came to shop! She's so beautiful and nice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCMARVELgeek View Post
    This film is going to become an unexpected smash, and all the doubters are going to be pleasantly blindsided by the fact that their negativity was proven wrong. The only reason some people see an 83 million dollar OW and a 225 million dollar domestic total (the same as Dr. Strange, Thor 2) is because the iconic quality of WW would make one believe that she would open at least with 100 million and end up with at least 300 million domestic. However, we need to remember that a huge part of her icon status is by default: she is the only female superhero that any of the comic companies even bothered promoting throughout the decades. Her presence is pop culture has not been even 1/3 as relentless as Bats, Supes, or Spidey, all of whom have more than 4 highly successful movies a piece and all of whom have been relentlessly plastered over every kind of merchnadising imaginable in more than 6 decades. Wonder Woman may be an icon, but she needs to establish herself as a feasible movie property. I have no doubt that she will get there; once Wonder Woman is a smash, the floodgates will truly be opened and we will get not only sequels but reboots down the road. That is what I look forward in the future the most: a world in which the character is firmly established in Hollywood as a property worthy of being revamped, rebooted, and remade endlessly. Surely we will see varying degrees of quality in all of those potential sequels and reboots, but that is to be expected. However, just the thrill of knowing that at some point down the road we will get a, say, 4-film Wonder Box-Set full of Diana-goodness is mouth-watering.
    First, I enjoy your enthusiasm and look forward to that 4-film box set.

As for the discussion, how are you defining "unexpected smash"? If you are going by the estimated $83 mil opening/ $225 mil domestic, then it's not really unexpected, right? Moreover, I don't follow your reasoning for why we shouldn't expect better. As you said, WW is an icon. Iron Man and Deadpool were not. So, why do I want to settle for less than Dr. Strange instead of hoping for Iron Man, or better, Deadpool, numbers?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    More points about this "projection."

1.) These kind of projections always have a way of going up as the movie release draws nearer. This is just an initial estimate that will likely go up more than once before June.

2.) This projection doesn't even take into account one of the most important factors in judging a movie's likely box office success: pre-sales. Pre-sales haven't even started for Wonder Woman yet.

3.) These projections are not always accurate. Dr. Strange was projected to have a MUCH lower opening boffice than it ended up making. It made like twice its projection, if I recall correctly. And that was a Marvel movie, with all the strength of the MCU brand behind it. Still the projections for it were way smaller than one might expect. Dr. Strange proved those projections wrong. Wonder Woman probably will too.

Addendum: Dr. Strange also had a higher budget than the Wonder Woman movie is believed to have. Low projections did nothing to stop it from being an unquestioned smash hit.
    1) Of course, projections and opinions change as more information becomes available. But, always up? I doubt that, due, in large part, to 2.

2) You're right that pre-sales are one of the best indicators, and we don't have that, yet. But, movies like BvS start out really strong and go down hill quick. I'd wager WW will have a pretty strong opening weekend. But, how will she do against all the other movies coming out? That's the multi-million dollar question. Hopefully, there are strong reviews and word-of-mouth.

3) Of course, they aren't always accurate. It would be interesting to see a review of just how close they come. As for Dr. Strange, I don't know where you get the idea that it made "twice its projections." Months before release, Boxofficepro had it making Ant-Man type numbers. Then, just before opening weekend, it was estimated to make $70-85 million. I believe only Disney had it at a $65 mil opening. It still did better than expected, but not near by "twice."

Perhaps more important, you give some reasons why Dr. Strange did well, namely a bigger budget (lots of good reviews for the 3D) and the strength of the Marvel brand. DC/WB does not have that same momentum, nor does WW have that budget. Do we know if WW will be offered in 3D? That can be a big factor in terms of total revenue.

Sources:
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-...hacksaw-ridge/
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/04/medi...ection-marvel/
    http://ew.com/article/2016/11/03/doc...e-predictions/
    Last edited by Awonder; 04-09-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Incredible Member

Nice, do u have any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    1) Of course, projections and opinions change as more information becomes available. But, always up? I doubt that, due, in large part, to 2.

2) You're right that pre-sales are one of the best indicators, and we don't have that, yet. But, movies like BvS start out really strong and go down hill quick. I'd wager WW will have a pretty strong opening weekend. But, how will she do against all the other movies coming out? That's the multi-million dollar question. Hopefully, there are strong reviews and word-of-mouth.

3) Of course, they aren't always accurate. It would be interesting to see a review of just how close they come. As for Dr. Strange, I don't know where you get the idea that it made "twice its projections." Months before release, Boxofficepro had it making Ant-Man type numbers. Then, just before opening weekend, it was estimated to make $70-85 million. I believe only Disney had it at a $65 mil opening. It still did better than expected, but not near by "twice."

Perhaps more important, you give some reasons why Dr. Strange did well, namely a bigger budget (lots of good reviews for the 3D) and the strength of the Marvel brand. DC/WB does not have that same momentum, nor does WW have that budget. Do we know if WW will be offered in 3D? That can be a big factor in terms of total revenue.

Sources:
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-...hacksaw-ridge/
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/04/medi...ection-marvel/
    http://ew.com/article/2016/11/03/doc...e-predictions/
    The numbers usually go up. Especially in cases like Wonder Woman, where they are citing "negativity over DCEU" as a way to temper predictions for Wonder Woman's opening weekend. But we don't know how much of this negativity will affect WW, the world's premiere and most iconic superheroine, whose film has been awaited for decades.

Also, women-led blockbusters tend to be underestimated a lot. The biggest and most recent example being Beauty and the Beast, which was predicted at this point of time to open at 144 million dollars, a whole 30 million less than its actual enormous opening (and it did so with mixed reviews)*

Another point to consider is even presales may not paint the entire picture. This film will hold more appeal to older women than most superhero films, and that demographic may not be as comfortable with social media as younger demos. So amounts of tickets purchased from walk-up will be more than that for your average superhero flick.

And even if the competition is stiff, there is no other direct movie in the month mainly targeting women and girls, so Wonder Woman could have demos all to herself while her rivals eat each other. Also, I'd say WW seems to be more hyped so far than any film coming out within three weeks of its release date.

As for 3D, I'm sure the film will have it.

*ETA: I just checked the long range forecast for Suicide Squad and turns out it was underestimated even more than Beauty and the Beast, at 98M versus its actual opening at 133M (a difference of 35 million! )
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-10-2017 at 04:36 AM.

BANNED

It is worth remembering that a projection is just that, an estimate of how good some people think it will do based on the parameters known to them.
    And the 'lowly' projection for WW will be based on previous female lead movies, which is a bit of a downer since its not all Beauty and the Beast or Hunger Games. Along with her brand not being that well known compared to say Superman, so it's risky waters for the company. And of course the sobering association the movie will have with BvS, SS and MoS, so they fear people will avoid it because it will be as divisive as the rest... or just not very good.

That said, I think the projection is low, because I think they underestimate the amount of people who have been waiting for this movie to come out. And when I say 'people' I really mean women and girls whom I don't imagine is that big a factor when the studio boffins sit down to consider the audience for a superhero blockbuster. Especially so because Diana has an inbuilt X-factor as an established feminist icon that will draw people in where other characters (like say Captain Marvel) will not.
    But the X-factor is nothing they can count on, because it might not be there, at all or negative (Ghost in the Shell appears to have a negative one). Or it may have something that unexpectedly pulls people in by the truckloads (like Deadpool). It's an unknowable quantity, and may be what makes or breaks the budget.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The numbers usually go up. Especially in cases like Wonder Woman, where they are citing "negativity over DCEU" as a way to temper predictions for Wonder Woman's opening weekend. But we don't know how much of this negativity will affect WW, the world's premiere and most iconic superheroine, whose film has been awaited for decades.

Also, women-led blockbusters tend to be underestimated a lot. The biggest and most recent example being Beauty and the Beast, which was predicted at this point of time to open at 144 million dollars, a whole 30 million less than its actual enormous opening (and it did so with mixed reviews)*

*ETA: I just checked the long range forecast for Suicide Squad and turns out it was underestimated even more than Beauty and the Beast, at 98M versus its actual opening at 133M (a difference of 35 million! )
    The numbers tend to go up. Except when they go down. Beauty and the Beast was underestimated, but, you're leaving out Ghost in the Shell, which was overestimated. Initially, they said it could do as well as Lucy ($40+ mil), then, it was adjusted downwards to $25-30-ish. Yet, it still underperformed with an $18 mil opening.

I'm not saying WW is the next Ghost in the Shell, just that they aren't always wrong by underestimating.

Another point to consider is even presales may not paint the entire picture. This film will hold more appeal to older women than most superhero films, and that demographic may not be as comfortable with social media as younger demos. So amounts of tickets purchased from walk-up will be more than that for your average superhero flick.
    Of course, presales are just a small part of the picture. The real test isn't even opening weekend, it's whether or not the movie has legs to do well throughout June.

And even if the competition is stiff, there is no other direct movie in the month mainly targeting women and girls, so Wonder Woman could have demos all to herself while her rivals eat each other. Also, I'd say WW seems to be more hyped so far than any film coming out within three weeks of its release date.
    I have yet to meet a woman that just goes to demographic movies. The last two Transformers movies made $1.1 billion each. So, even if you want to write off Pirates, The Mummy, and Cars 3, WW still has a limited window to make her money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    It is worth remembering that a projection is just that, an estimate of how good some people think it will do based on the parameters known to them.
    And the 'lowly' projection for WW will be based on previous female lead movies, which is a bit of a downer since its not all Beauty and the Beast or Hunger Games. Along with her brand not being that well known compared to say Superman, so it's risky waters for the company. And of course the sobering association the movie will have with BvS, SS and MoS, so they fear people will avoid it because it will be as divisive as the rest... or just not very good.
    Oh, of course, it's just a projection at this point. I'd imagine they are tough to do well this far from release, with no presale data and such. WW has a pretty strong name recognition, and she got a good showing in BvS; but, it's hard to tell how well that will translate to ticket sales. Will people hold the mixed reaction to other DC movies against it? Will people be hungry for another female lead in an action-romance movie? Part of what I find interesting about projections is that, so often, they don't go as I would anticipate (Deadpool did better than Thor 2?).

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    That said, I think the projection is low, because I think they underestimate the amount of people who have been waiting for this movie to come out. And when I say 'people' I really mean women and girls whom I don't imagine is that big a factor when the studio boffins sit down to consider the audience for a superhero blockbuster. Especially so because Diana has an inbuilt X-factor as an established feminist icon that will draw people in where other characters (like say Captain Marvel) will not.
    But the X-factor is nothing they can count on, because it might not be there, at all or negative (Ghost in the Shell appears to have a negative one). Or it may have something that unexpectedly pulls people in by the truckloads (like Deadpool). It's an unknowable quantity, and may be what makes or breaks the budget.
    I'm hoping it beats the projections. For one, it looks like a good movie. And, I love to see female led action movies do well (go Star Wars!). Here's hoping that the marketing gets better, and that early buzz is all positive. I'd love to see WW break the $600 million mark worldwide.

I had a dream about this film just now and it was really weird, like there was a stop motion Doomsday fight made from paper mache! It was wall to wall action to featuring some absurd action pieces too, but when I checked on RT what it received it got a 48%
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut