BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Didn't improve himself? He won. Straight up and killed him. Than after the fight was over he offered Killmonger mercy again. MCU T'Challa actually shows leadership, compassion, mercy and nobility (not nobility through birth but actions). T'challa is able to compromise with M'Baku and they end up working together. That is true leadership. He takes counsel and isn't foolish to do everything himself but empowers those around him. He even confronts Zuri and his ancestors about their actions and takes steps to right their wrongs. He even comes full circle on Wakanda being isolationist after listening to Nakia and giving it some thought. We see T'Challa not only learn from his friends and allies but his enemies. He disagrees with Killmongers actions and end goal, but he recognizes the truth in what Nakia and Killmonger were saying about Wakanda and the plight of the world at large. A wise man learns from his mistakes but an intelligent man learns from others and T'Challa is shown to be an intelligent man in this film.

With limited allies and resources T'challa is able to rally and stop Killmongers plans and retake the throne. I also think it built off of the Civil War ending. T'Challa is not someone consumed by vengeance or self interest but someone who can and will champion the greater good.

I believe many people confuse heroism with bad@$$ery and those are two separate things.

Wonder Woman didn't have to face off against any true adversity in her film. She disobeyed her mother than left home and witnessed the death of two people she loved. Outside of that she was just far stronger than any adversary she faced. If Goliath stomped out David I'm not going to go patting him on the back for winning a one-sided fight.

I think the first two acts of Wonder Woman were very good, but the 3rd act was a little disappointing and didn't really give Wonder Woman that ending I thought the film was building towards. Diana needed a heroic send off which would have made her film a little stronger, especially considering she is the one bright spot of the DCEU.
    Bp didn't killed anyone Eric killed himself because he didn't want to be locked up.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    And hear I thought I was going to ACTUALLY pick up issue #1 due to loving the space exploration idea and felt Coates could not mess this up. Its clear he hates this character.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

I'm so done

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    I know its from the comics. My problem is that he didn't improve himself for the last fight. He's still a chump. Both versions were out maneuvered and both had feats overshadowed but MCU T'Challa role as king consisted of standing and/or listening.

Say what you will about wonder woman but she came out of her origin movie smelling like roses.
    Yes and no.

We sort of already know after the first movie, WW basically retires until the BvS movie. That's more the fault of the BvS movie than the WW movie itself but still... I think in a lot of ways that makes her look bad too.

well yeah I wouldn't want to be the King of his Wakanda either.

EDIT: this is actually a good interview, and generally I like his interviews. They just don't translate to his comics. I feel like I need to read Coates' runs in their entirety. I can't just pick them up form month to month, I tried that with his first run and it didn't work
    Like a lot of writers in recent years, I do think his writes almost for trades. And I think his stuff does read better in a single sitting than issue per issue.

That said, I do think his pacing is a bit better this season. Still reads better as a whole, but I think the action and pacing have improved to the point where it's less of an issue. IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    Killmonger beat one on one Black Panther fair. Then Black panther beat Killmonger one on one fair
    That wasn't at all my point, but yep.

Bp didn't killed anyone Eric killed himself because he didn't want to be locked up.
    Erik didn't stab himself with the short spear. T'Challa put the blade where it belonged.

Fantastic Member

Looking at this art furthers my belief that the idea of NERF’s Shuri toy gauntlet was most likely concepted before the movie had begun or maybe along side the films creation and not after. The art of every other character has variety except Shuri. Those panther gaunlets were absolutely lame imo and were obviously mandated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This thread is freaking insane.

I recall someone calling the BP writer Coates-Monger.

What a fitting name.
    I haven’t wrote in thread since issue 2 or 3 of Coates run. Primarily because I got locked out of my account andhad to create another but thats another topic. This thread has 8 million plus views and not because the film hit a billy. That, truly is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    I'm not going to lie. I was shocked they went with Kilmonger winning storyline for the first movie. i personally wanted Killmonger to win at the end of the movie on some Empire Strikes Back ish and the third movie being the comeback. The problem is that Klaw was a wack villain due to AOU. I have been displeased with the pre-movie Black Panther lore. Klaw was made into a second-rate arms dealer instead of a genius scientist. MCU Klaw was not a villain worth BP's time. Overall BPs stardom was muted due to his suporting cast but I do not have a problem with that. My issue is debating this "T'Challa iz a c00n/ T'Challa is Obama" narrative.
    Shocked? Pretty sure I called as soon as coogler brought his boy on to play a character that he looks nothing or acts nothing like. I knew he'd have about an equal amount of screen time and probably get to beat Tchallas ass while looking like a hero in the end. and now we have to put up with memes of killmonger being UMBC and t'challa being Virginia while michael b killmonger mocks "is this your king".
    I can't wait to see what the russos do with t'challa now that they don't have to be hamstrung by whatever plans coogler had which turned out to be a lackluster facade of The black panther.

also why I'm hoping that Fuqua gets a chance to direct. Maybe since Michael B Jordan is dead and won't be in the sequel Kugler will step down and loose interest.
    Last edited by Ekie; 03-21-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Come on, you know what he was saying T'challa gave Killmonger the deathblow and easily could have finished it. T'challa was very well done. He represented in a way that he needed in the film what's the big deal trying to water him down a la coates style?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Shocked? Pretty sure I called as soon as coogler brought his boy on to play a character that he looks nothing or acts nothing like. I knew he'd have about an equal amount of screen time and probably get to beat a Tchallas while looking like a hero in the end. and now we have to put up with memes of killmonger being UMBC and t'challa being Virginia while michael b killmonger mocks "is this your king".
    I can't wait to see what the russos do with t'challa now that they don't have to be hamstrung by whatever plans coogler had which turned out to be a lackluster facade of The black panther.

also why I'm hoping that Fuqua gets a chance to direct. Maybe since Michael B Jordan is dead and won't be in the sequel Kugler will step down and loose interest.
    This was very much a Michael B Jordan movie. Killmonger’s development had everything to do with actor/director biases and probably little to nothing at all to do with Marvel wanting to create a multidimensional villain. It was very

“Oh you work at such-n-such? put me on bruh!”

- “I got’chu”

Lamo.

I aint mad at Coogler/Jordan tbh. But Im definitely glad Jordan’s character is dead and hopefully there’s not MCU resurrection altar. Nor am I against a new director. Someone who actually likes Tchalla and is without an agenda for his boy thats not the titular character. Again I aint really mad at them though, Coogler mos def looks out for his bro.

Are people SERIOUSLY complaining about Coogler's direction for the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    This was very much a Michael B Jordan movie. Killmonger’s development had everything to do with actor/director biases and probably little to nothing at all to do with Marvel wanting to create a multidimensional villain. It was very

“Oh you work at such-n-such? put me on bruh!”

- “I got’chu”

Lamo.

I aint mad at Coogler/Jordan tbh. But Im definitely glad Jordan’s character is dead and hopefully there’s not MCU resurrection altar. Nor am I against a new director. Someone who actually likes Tchalla and is without an agenda for his boy thats not the titular character. Again I aint really mad at them though, Coogler mos def looks out for his bro.
    I myself am hoping for the resurrection alter.

I think marvel kills off too many of it's villains in the MCU. You never know when you might want to reuse some of them. It just seems like a waste to me. Not that I don't think narratively speaking Killmongers death didn't absolutely work... but it's easy enough to bring him back if they choose given what happens in the source material. And I do think similar to Loki, this is a villain you can get a lot of milage out of.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    This thread is freaking insane.

I recall someone calling the BP writer Coates-Monger.

What a fitting name.
    That "someone" would be me.

I also coined the phrases "juggling knives" "boxing gloves" and "Crying King" during Hickman's New Avengers run.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed the film and thought it was good tbh. Great set up for more world building. The cgi was fine to me. It didn’t look anymore worse that Thor Ragnorak. The film was much better than Coates current comics. Looking forward to BP2. And why are you asking about complaints as if everyone s’posed to love it?

Yeah. T'Challa was a trash ass passive protagonist. I'm not gonna kiss Coogler's ass for giving me killmonger the movie. He even gets overshadowed by comedic relief characters. Even t'chaka had better lines than T'Challa.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I myself am hoping for the resurrection alter.

I think marvel kills off too many of it's villains in the MCU. You never know when you might want to reuse some of them. It just seems like a waste to me. Not that I don't think narratively speaking Killmongers death didn't absolutely work... but it's easy enough to bring him back if they choose given what happens in the source material. And I do think similar to Loki, this is a villain you can get a lot of milage out of.
    Those are fair points. Klaue seemed like a waste to me for sure. In truth...both Klaue & Erikcould come back for sequels due to the source material tbh. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.