Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Where did Batman go to school?

For some reason I remember him being homeschooled with private tutors and then going to Yale.

Batman Gothic covers off some time at a strict boarding school for boys. In Zero Year it's shown to be more of an ordinary high school. I think its pretty up for grabs.

The school of hard knocks.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Batman Gothic covers off some time at a strict boarding school for boys. In Zero Year it's shown to be more of an ordinary high school. I think its pretty up for grabs.
    Alright. But he went to High School, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The school of hard knocks.
    Ha.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

In the New 52 it was revealed in Batman: The Dark Knight #0 that Bruce went to high school at the "prestigious, private Roxbury Fielding Academy" and graduated in May 2000. He never attended college because he left to train in Tibet shortly thereafter. Erin McKillen, who was featured in the Batman & Two-Face arc, and her sister went to high school with Bruce
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-30-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Incredible Member

Different versions, different answers. In "Batman Begins" he attends Princeton for a bit but then drops out.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In Post Crisis he attended the same elementary school (forgot the name) as Thomas Elliot (Hush) until some time after his parent's death (Streets of Gotham), then at 13 he started going abroad (Year One)

In New 52 he was expelled from Gotham Academy (Gotham Academy #7) which is a middle school then graduated from Gotham High(?) (forgot the name of the school but it's in The Dark Knight #0) then already started globetrotting by the time he's 19. I don't think he ever attends university in New 52.

In Rebirth after his parents died he was sent to a rehabilitation home to be treated for depression and room with Harvey Dent (All-Star Batman) I forgot for how long

In Telltale Batman he's at the same elementary school with Oswald Cobblepot but I don't think they mentioned the name.

In the tv series Gotham, he attended the same school as Thomas Elliot too but I don't remember the name

Oh and both times in his elementary school with Thomas Elliot they wear uniforms. Gotham Academy also has uniform. The high school as depicted in Zero Year does not have uniforms but have dorms. Julie Madison stayed in the dorms.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-19-2019 at 03:30 PM.

I always assumed he was home-schooled with private tutors.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I always assumed he was home-schooled with private tutors.
    I really only see that happening if Bruce gets to control his own schooling (so only after his parents' deaths, and IRL only in the last few decades when Alfred raised him). It's not how he raised Dick or Jason (who both went to public school originally - not sure on current continuity).

I see fics with Bruce pushing Princeton a lot, but I don't know if that's just because it's in New Jersey and impressive.

I think in one version, Bruce attended college in Gotham. Can't recall if it was called Gotham State University or Gotham University. I think it was a 1980s story. I wish I could remember which it was - I read it not too terribly long ago. It was a flashback one where Bruce pretended to be a disinterested student, but would break into parts of the college at night to study (professor's offices - can't recall). May be one put out of continuity. Does anyone else remember this?

Extraordinary Member

If we're still using Year One as the proper origin, I would imagine Bruce attended local private schools up until high school when he was home schooled by Alfred (I remember in Robin Year One that having Dick home schooled by Alfred was an option since he has several degrees) before leaving to travel the world at around 16. I would imagine he probably bought a college degree somewhere just to make it look good for the public, while at the same time, hardly hide the fact that he did so to play up the spoiled/privileged socialite persona.

According to a Secret Origins issue I read, the golden age Batman did attend a university in Gotham while in a Detective issue just before Batman Year Two written by Mike W. Barr and drawn by Alan Davis he had said he did the same there as well.

The New 52 version/current version? I have no idea.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'm up to the mid 40s in the Golden Age omnibuses, and it's worth pointing out how little was established about his background from the beginning. His backstory jumps from Thomas and Marta's death to Bruce being an adult with no information about who raised him, much less his education. Alfred as his guardian wasn't a thing until post Crisis. I know the DC Wiki says that he was raised by an uncle in both Earth One and Earth Two.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I really only see that happening if Bruce gets to control his own schooling (so only after his parents' deaths, and IRL only in the last few decades when Alfred raised him). It's not how he raised Dick or Jason (who both went to public school originally - not sure on current continuity).

I see fics with Bruce pushing Princeton a lot, but I don't know if that's just because it's in New Jersey and impressive.

I think in one version, Bruce attended college in Gotham. Can't recall if it was called Gotham State University or Gotham University. I think it was a 1980s story. I wish I could remember which it was - I read it not too terribly long ago. It was a flashback one where Bruce pretended to be a disinterested student, but would break into parts of the college at night to study (professor's offices - can't recall). May be one put out of continuity. Does anyone else remember this?
    New 52 has Dick attends probably a public high school (no uniform) and Batman Black and White by Cliff Chiang have Dick attends probably a private school (he wears a uniform). Damian is homeschooled until he's asked to go to school with Jon by Bruce and Clark in Rebirth (has uniforms). I don't remember Jason. I think he's homeschooled in both Rebirth and Arkham Knight Origins. New 52 Tim was in public school. The parents aren't as rich as in Post Crisis. Middle upper class, suburban people.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-19-2019 at 03:32 PM.

didnt he attended Gotham Academy?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    didnt he attended Gotham Academy?
    Which "he"? According to Gotham Academy series, Bruce attended briefly, and Damian went there for one day before he was expelled.

In the YJ cartoon, Dick (and Barbara and Bette) went to Gotham Academy, but it's a very different school than in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Which "he"? According to Gotham Academy series, Bruce attended briefly, and Damian went there for one day before he was expelled.
    I did meant Bruce but couldnt remember if it was stated that he graduated or nt

In the YJ cartoon, Dick (and Barbara and Bette) went to Gotham Academy, but it's a very different school than in the comics.
    I did not remember that thnaks