Page 164 of 233 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3484

Thread: Batwoman (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post

How they connected her to Alice was OK
    Yes, I think "ok" is the best way to describe it.

A lot of angst in this episode. To be expected.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Yes, I think "ok" is the best way to describe it.

A lot of angst in this episode. To be expected.
    Yeah, and some of it isn’t really interesting me. Particularly that bit at the end.
    Watching it now; from what I can see so far, Camrus still needs to slow down when he talks; I’m guessing safiyah tipped off Alice to the plane crash, otherwise, why would she even be there? And I know he’s not really Bruce Wayne, but I really couldn’t buy him as batman. Glad they wrapped up this storyline fast.

"Ok" sums up the whole episode, tbh. They really rushed through a lot of plot points, but I guess that is to be expected, due to the whole restructuring.

Mighty Member

The episode did its best trying to juggle this transition.

Javicia really shines, too bad she is saddled with all the issues surrounding the show.

Mighty Member

Loved the Batmobile chase scene.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post

Javicia really shines, too bad she is saddled with all the issues surrounding the show.
    I imagine once the season moves forward from the transition and establishes itself, it'll get even better.

I liked this more than I thought I would.
    -- I did genuinely feel for Ryan's situation and how her heroic justification is that she represents those ignored by the system. (I was definitely getting some "Joker" vibes in the parole officer scene) I think the fact that she initially refuses the suit may ingratiate her to some who were concerned that she was going to be presented as entitled to it.
    -- Tommy's inclusion this episode helped a lot to give us something other than the "where is Kate" story and made the plot about "who will get the suit" rather than "here's some rando who has the suit and she's awesome." I do wonder how long the "Bruce" actor was initially supposed to be on the show and if the Tommy as Bruce story was meant to last longer.
    -- I was getting a bit of "The Mandalorian" vibes when those guys kept shooting her with zero effect.
    -- I wasn't a fan that they made Batwoman's kryptonite actual kryptonite, but now it might be that the kryptonite is going to give Ryan some kind of super enhancement?? (who can tell with kryptonite) Or could they give her some Iron Man type life-threatening situation where the suit is the only thing keeping her alive?
    -- I wonder how much of Alice's plan was the actual intended plot for this season before Ruby left?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-18-2021 at 08:38 PM.

It's going to be difficult to justify half the characters being on the show since their ties to Kate are strong and it might be an awkward transition to build relationships with Ryan. Having said that, though, Luke was fine, and I really like how they are setting up Ryan and Mary.

Ryan goofing around in the Batwoman costume at first was fun, but it didn't feel in place with the rest of the episode. Her meeting with Luke and Mary and then giving up the costume fit the overall tone of the series better.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    And I know he’s not really Bruce Wayne, but I really couldn’t buy him as batman.
    I thought it was hilarious he had a drink in his hand in pretty much every scene he was in.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- I wasn't a fan that they made Batwoman's kryptonite actual kryptonite, but now it might be that the kryptonite is going to give Ryan some kind of super enhancement?? (who can tell with kryptonite) Or could they give her some Iron Man type life-threatening situation where the suit is the only thing keeping her alive?
    My initial thought was that they were going to make her a meteor freak, which would give her somewhat of an edge over the criminals she faces and justify making her Batwoman. But I don't want her to be some sort of meta. I'm not even a fan of the costume being some sort of Azrael/Batman Beyond super suit (they could've saved that for Luke as Batwing). But her needing the suit to keep the kryptonite from poisoning her? That could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    My initial thought was that they were going to make her a meteor freak, which would give her somewhat of an edge over the criminals she faces and justify making her Batwoman. But I don't want her to be some sort of meta. I'm not even a fan of the costume being some sort of Azrael/Batman Beyond super suit (they could've saved that for Luke as Batwing). But her needing the suit to keep the kryptonite from poisoning her? That could be interesting.
    Either way could be interesting, but I wonder if recent reports of Leslie's willingness to be more involved in stunts makes me lean towards thinking they might go the "meteor enhancement" route.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post

Yeah, she's very good, but I still can't buy the show's post-Kane transition. They should have gotten a new Kate and took it from there, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Trash rating even for the CW, but of course, there is the football game to consider so...maybe it changes a bit...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...160955662.html

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Doesn't even get an "okay" from me. The returning actors just looked like they were fumbling for what to do. Javicia really is a poor actor, and her car chase scene was comical. Maybe they should fully embrace the comedy and throw in some 60s-style "Whack!" sound effects. They way they brought her into the mix, in-story and backstory, is eye-rolling.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Trash rating even for the CW, but of course, there is the football game to consider so...maybe it changes a bit...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...160955662.html
    That headline is incredibly bad journalism.

- First, the actual drop from what they're comparing is more like 77%.
    - Second, they're comparing the pilot's final viewing numbers (including delayed/DVR views) against the new episode's initial and uncorrected views. That's not a fair comparison.
    - Third, it presents a skewed view of how big the actual drop is from season to season, since it's not taking into account natural falloff. Episode 1x20's initial viewing numbers were 0.752 million, making the drop from the previous episode only about 12%. For reference, Black Lightning had roughly a 30% drop from its season 1 finale to its season 2 premiere (using corrected initial views).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    That headline is incredibly bad journalism.

- First, the actual drop from what they're comparing is more like 77%.
    - Second, they're comparing the pilot's final viewing numbers (including delayed/DVR views) against the new episode's initial and uncorrected views. That's not a fair comparison.
    - Third, it presents a skewed view of how big the actual drop is from season to season, since it's not taking into account natural falloff. Episode 1x20's initial viewing numbers were 0.752 million, making the drop from the previous episode only about 12%. For reference, Black Lightning had roughly a 30% drop from its season 1 finale to its season 2 premiere (using corrected initial views).
    I have to agree, but considering that the views usually drop significantly from the first to the second episode in any season and than keep dropping slowly through out the season, absolute numbers are still not healthy.
    Last seasons the other Arrowverse shows lost something between 35% and 50% of their viewers between the first and the last episode, if that trend continues this season Batwoman (and probably all of the other Arrowverse shows with exception of Flash) might at the end of this season end up somewhere below 0.4 million.

So they set up an awesome potential storyline- a season of Tommy Eliot masquerading as Bruce Wayne- and they piss it away in one episode?

One one hand, I see why they did it. That story would only have worked with Kate- after all, she was living in his tower, and using his gear. That story just doesn't work with the new girl. That said, they could have dragged it out longer than one freaking episode.

So.... what kind of training does Ryan have? Has she traveled the world? Learned from martial arts masters? No? She's an ex-con with street smarts that could figure out how to use the batsuit in a few hours? Oh, okay.

Not sure if this is accurate, but did I hear that Jacob was willing to accept Kate was gone without finding her body? In spite of what happened to his other daughter?!

The one- ONE- good thing I see coming out of this is that they have a built in story for where Kate is. Say she never got on the plane, that Safiyah had her intercepted and abducted, and is now holding her prisoner. Of course, this could lead to the one storyline I am beyond sick and tired of in the Arrowverse- a mind-controlled Kate attacking Ryan and her friends/family if and when they recast the roll.

This just sounds bad on every level right now, and just isn't for me. I'll be back when we get a new Kate- if the show lasts that long.