Page 205 of 828 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215255305705 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I actually thought about this when I watched Captain Marvel. Granted Marvel produced Black Panther, the colored character side kick supporting the white hero thing is a pretty tired trope.

Marvel should move away from it.
    Sometimes I agree and sometimes I think people are being too sensitive about it.

Fury was one of the highlights of CM and Monican's mom existed to allow Monica to exist in the future. It woulda sucked to eliminate both characters to get away from a trope.

Others, like Rhodey, Falcon, Valkryie... they were never going to get a solo anyway.

As long as the "sidekicks" are distinct and have a role, I don't mind it too much. Rhodey sucks because he is just a dumber Stark with an inferior armor. He doesn't add anything, he is just the butt of jokes.

Valkryie added something and was interesting. Falcon is completely different than Cap (although gotta stop with the "im him but slower ****). Im bitter about Ned because that is Miles character damnit.

now if they go and waste Voodoo as a sidekick..........
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Some people were complaining that Fury was emasculated because he helped wash the dishes. You just can't with folk sometimes. I didn't have a problem with Fury in the movie, he was in over his head, but he handled it well, he wasn't a bumbling doofus like Finn.

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-25-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

As for Rhodey, Falcon and Valkyrie not getting movies.... would they really be stranger choices than the Guardians or Antman?

Yes lol 10char

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

I don't think the problem is that we get used as sidekicks, it's when we're only sidekicks and never get to shine on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Sometimes I agree and sometimes I think people are being too sensitive about it.

Fury was one of the highlights of CM and Monican's mom existed to allow Monica to exist in the future. It woulda sucked to eliminate both characters to get away from a trope.

Others, like Rhodey, Falcon, Valkryie... they were never going to get a solo anyway.

As long as the "sidekicks" are distinct and have a role, I don't mind it too much. Rhodey sucks because he is just a dumber Stark with an inferior armor. He doesn't add anything, he is just the butt of jokes.

Valkryie added something and was interesting. Falcon is completely different than Cap (although gotta stop with the "im him but slower ****). Im bitter about Ned because that is Miles character damnit.

now if they go and waste Voodoo as a sidekick..........
    Take it easy. Fwiw, 616 James Rhodes danced distinction circles around MCU Rhodey. I was thinkin' tho, the Endgame trailer got Rhodes a newer (quantum) suit before a War Machine upgrade. He's still running Jarvis 2.0 from 2010. Damn shame they never spoke word 1 about his suit since IM 3, and that was only a paint job. Then too presumably that was the same suit that hit the ground in from 500 ft. in Civil War and lost his legs...

We do know there will be a Dr. Strange 2 and Ejiofor is going to be one dope Mordo so..
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

now if they go and waste Voodoo as a sidekick.

If we ever see Jericho Drumm in the MCU he will be a mage of Dr. Strange's order.

That is probably a really really good thing. Considering that the term "Voodoo" itself has troubling implications. Its really called Yoruba, irrc.

Yoruba tends to get badly portrayed every time it appears in mainstream media and classic Brother Voodoo is based on all those stereotypes turned up to 11. Dude starts out as a straight arrow medical professional,
    then he goes to Haiti and next thing you know dude dressed up like its carnival and he has his own Bongo Drum soundtrack that follows him everywhere.

As if the traditional portrayal of Yoruba in the movies wasn't bad enough.

Zombies, Sugarcane fields, shirtless Brothas running around with 1000 yard stares while brandishing either a chicken a snake or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    If we ever see Jericho Drumm in the MCU he will be a mage of Dr. Strange's order.

That is probably a really really good thing. Considering that the term "Voodoo" itself has troubling implications. Its really called Yoruba, irrc.

Yoruba tends to get badly portrayed every time it appears in mainstream media and classic Brother Voodoo is based on all those stereotypes turned up to 11. Dude starts out as a straight arrow medical professional,
    then he goes to Haiti and next thing you know dude dressed up like its carnival and he has his own Bongo Drum soundtrack that follows him everywhere.

As if the traditional portrayal of Yoruba in the movies wasn't bad enough.

Zombies, Sugarcane fields, shirtless Brothas running around with 1000 yard stares while brandishing either a chicken a snake or both.
    Meh. Easy to play it off.

1. Dr Strange runs into a threat he can't beat with his current skillset

2. Wong mentions another type of magic not practiced in Taj whatever (can't rememeber what their base is called).

3. Strange goes to wherever Drumm is at the study from him. Voodoo isn't a sidekick, he is an equal/superior in HIS form of magic

4. Drumm is talking, Strange makes a sarcastic joke about "so this is voodoo?" Drumm rplies with an equally sarcastic quip on how that is what dumb white people call it.

Like the Ancient One asian thing all over again.

Use Voodoo just enough to establish his existence and tease him, give him his own movie later in his world.

win win! And the 30 people who would be offended by "voodoo" will only be mildly offended!

It looks better than I expected.

Ultimate Member

I know you mean well and I very much agree with the rest of your post but saying that black women are "more opinionated and tougher" than any other group is a very troubling stereotype that a lot of black women have been trying to dismantle for decades. It actually does fuel horrible treatment of them like what was listed in that post.
    Oh yes. The "sassy black woman stereotype" has been quite destructive.

I personally see it as a strength. Society really has evolved to silence female voices and doubly so for black women.
    Last edited by Username taken; 03-25-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Ultimate Member

Speaking of Rhodey, writers like Pak have tried to take him away from Stark tech but for some reason he gets folded back in.

Personally, I preferred him with the Eidolon armour. He's been around long enough to get a permanent upgrade.

I know you mean well and I very much agree with the rest of your post but saying that black women are "more opinionated and tougher" than any other group is a very troubling stereotype that a lot of black women have been trying to dismantle for decades. It actually does fuel horrible treatment of them like what was listed in that post.
    Society just made jokes out of loud opinionated white woman... the "Karens" of the world. hehehehe its so funny there goes Karen again asking for the manager!! hehehe

Meanwhile black women get called obnoxious, loud, aggressive, ect. And it labels them all... from ghetto hood trash on up.

You say this as MCU is clearly in a position to give every one of them a solo. Literally, Iron Man, Captian America and probably Thor are on their way out of the door. If they were properly presented as heroes you could literally have a line up of CapFalcon, Warmachine, Black Panther, Valkeryie ... You know this a silly thing because Captian Marvel, Spiderman, Antman, and Dr. Strange can be replaced by Spectrum, Miles Morales, Bill Foster, and Brother Voodoo. At least Hulk and Black Widow could be replaced by Amadeus Cho and Monica Chang.

I don't think people are mad at sidekick trope more than the fact that they clearly feel inferior. For Falcon, they could have used the ultimate version whose intelligence is a big factor, For War Machine his armor always been more weaponized to stark swiss army knife. I am not worried about Monica I think she will come across like a peer, not a sidekick when she shows up. That said Hawkeye is in the same kinda development prison so I agree about the over senstive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Speaking of Rhodey, writers like Pak have tried to take him away from Stark tech but for some reason he gets folded back in.

Personally, I preferred him with the Eidolon armour. He's been around long enough to get a permanent upgrade.
    I just read on the Eidolon armour something like that would be perfect right now in a world were he hangs around Captian Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You say this as MCU is clearly in a position to give every one of them a solo. Literally, Iron Man, Captian America and probably Thor are on their way out of the door. If they were properly presented as heroes you could literally have a line up of CapFalcon, Warmachine, Black Panther, Valkeryie
    They are in that position NOW because they were side kicks though.

I don't think people are mad at sidekick trope more than the fact that they clearly feel inferior. For Falcon, they could have used the ultimate version whose intelligence is a big factor, For War Machine his armor always been more weaponized to stark swiss army knife. I am not worried about Monica I think she will come across like a peer, not a sidekick when she shows up. That said Hawkeye is in the same kinda development prison so I agree about the over senstive thing.
    eh, Falcon has a niche. And he was cool AF in Civil War especially. I love MCU falcon, 100000000x better than 616. I really hope that Falcon/WS show is a real thing lol

War Machine was 100% botched. at least his armor will always look the best lol. Why they decided to make a decorated military soldier into a "butt of jokes" character is odd.