Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    When something has been going on for about 20 years and isn't exactly showing any signs of slowing down any time soon, I think you need a better word than "fad".

Fads are things like Tamagotchis and fidget spinners and the Rachel Green from Friends hair style.
    And yet secret agent movie aren't that common now. Sure a few pop up here and there, Red Sparrow for example, but not like back in the 1960s.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Depends how different they can be. Justice League showed that the old formula doesn't work anymore. If that movie had come out when Avengers did it would have been reviewed very differently. Not saying it would be considered great, but the plots are too similar nowadays. Wonder Woman and Black Panther weren't just different because of the identity politics involved but the type of story told. Same with Logan. If the movies adapt to be as versatile as the comics are, people will still be interested IMO.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm going to have to think about that one, since my position is generally based on the idea that most of the stuff Rey does untrained are the kinds of things that other characters have done untrained as well.
    Happy thinking and if willing let me know if you find something.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, agreed. They get really nasty about it and tend to go heavy on the "my opinion is factual and people who disagree with me are stupid and wrong or else supporters of 'false' political ideologies" view. I respect people's right to an opinion, but be reasonable and open-minded about it.
    Some of these guys are really lacking in analysing the comics they review like Diversity and Comics he doesn't even give a break down of the story he is reading and he has even read stuff out of context.One YouTuber I know gave the most moronic analysis of the Black Panther film after lambasting it for so many days before even seeing it and he doesn't even realise that not many will take him seriously because of it.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And yet secret agent movie aren't that common now. Sure a few pop up here and there, Red Sparrow for example, but not like back in the 1960s.
    Not common?
    Bond is still going.
    A bunch of Bournes.
    Atomic Blonde.
    Red Sparrow.
    Half of Black Panther.
    The Kingsmen movies.
    The Mission Impossible movies.
    The November Man.

A whole bunch of great tv spy series...

They seem pretty common to me.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

How long do you think they'll be hot?
    A long, long, long, long, time. Maybe they'll be years when they're less warm than others, but they won't be going away for good.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I'm pretty burnt out on them, and I read the funnybooks.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member

What are the bulletproof genres? Romantic comedies? Supernatural horror? Sci-Fi? Crime? Mysteries? Based on a true life story? Animated films? Musicals? Fantasies?

No one has the recipe for a successful film otherwise studios would be banging out hits all the time. There might be less cape movies but they should stick around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    What are the bulletproof genres? Romantic comedies? Supernatural horror? Sci-Fi? Crime? Mysteries? Based on a true life story? Animated films? Musicals? Fantasies?

No one has the recipe for a successful film otherwise studios would be banging out hits all the time. There might be less cape movies but they should stick around for a long time.
    Which reminds me... Musicals and Soap Operas have both been at one time or another been deemed 'dead, never to return'.
    But then came Chicago and Glee.
    And then came a slew of dramas with every episode beginning with, "Previously on..."

I remember when Tombstone and Young Guns revived the western.

As long as there's someone out there that's passionate about the genre and has a story to tell, it will survive.
    No genre can truly die as long as there's dvds and digital media that can still inspire future generations.

I wasn't even around for the first releases of a lot of things that continue to inspire me. And it's the same for a lot of other people.
    There's likely a future movie writer or producer being born right now that probably won't even see Avengers for another ten years or so. And it could inspire him or her to make a superhero film several years later that launches a resurgence in the genre's popularity.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-09-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I don't think that superhero movies will ever go out of trend. The idea of that happening started, when Steven Spielberg compared superhero movies to old western movies and said, that superhero movies would also die out one day. But I disagree 100% with that.
    Western movies were not only a specific genre, but they were also a genre, which covered a specific era. An era, which people lost interest in. Nowdays the future is more interesting than the past. I mean, how often do we see pirate movies outside of Pirates of the Carribean?

I would compare superhero movies to horror movies. If at all actually. Because with superhero movies you don't have a specific genre. You have people with superpowers and then you can go crazy with sub-genres. Guardians of the Galaxy is a superhero sci-fi comedy franchise. Ant-Man is a superhero action heist franchise. Captain America 2: Winter Soldier was an amazing superhero action agent-thriller movie. The Avengers are straight up avengers movies.
    You could do a Sentry movie and turn that into a superhero drama horror franchise. You could do a Moon Knight movie and turn that into a superhero psychological thriller.

As long as they keep playing around with things and doing new stuff superhero movies will be just fine.

(Obviously this is a DC forum and I spoke about Marvel movies... We all know that DC has a lot of catching up to do, if they want their superhero movies to thrive as well.)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    Western movies were not only a specific genre, but they were also a genre, which covered a specific era. An era, which people lost interest in.
    That's only because it seemed like every other show from 1955 to 1970 was a Western.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    That's only because it seemed like every other show from 1955 to 1970 was a Western.
    It's also because people started to take a closer look at the reality of the period westerns used to glorify.

I wonder. In all the talk we've all had over the years about when/whether the superhero movie bubble would burst, has anyone considered the impact of technology?

Back in the day, superhero movies were almost impossible to do from a technical standpoint. Can you imagine how bad Green Lantern would've looked in 1984? Now its just expensive. Perhaps the genre has never been a Hollywood staple because Hollywood lacked the ability to do it, not because there is no audience.

Some genres endure the ebb and flow of trends, bending when they have to but never disappearing. Perhaps superheroes are like that. Perhaps they'll just always be around now, and some years we'll see five or six, some years we'll see one. But there'll always be a new one on the horizon.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I wonder. In all the talk we've all had over the years about when/whether the superhero movie bubble would burst, has anyone considered the impact of technology?

Back in the day, superhero movies were almost impossible to do from a technical standpoint. Can you imagine how bad Green Lantern would've looked in 1984? Now its just expensive. Perhaps the genre has never been a Hollywood staple because Hollywood lacked the ability to do it, not because there is no audience.
    Just wait until a few more years down the line, when it won't even be all that expensive anymore.

Incredible Member

Once Disney buys Fox, the number released per year will decrease. Unless DC fills the gap.

BANNED

Nevermind...