Page 795 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2956957457857917927937947957967977987998058458951295 ... LastLast
Results 11,911 to 11,925 of 20948
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That this is likely to be a period piece according to THR it feels less likely. I'm positive that it's going to be Clark Kent - and that makes me feel a little negative (a little and not a lot because I've kind of already written this off).
    Check out this other point of view.
    WB Searching For Black Superman Director And Actor

In a post BP/Luke Cage/SamCap/Isaiah/Monica world, this is just going to make people think that DC doesn't have any prominent black heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Check out this other point of view.
    WB Searching For Black Superman Director And Actor
    Still pretty sure it's going to be a black Clark.

Well I’m just happy WB isn’t making yet another divisive Superman franchise.

(Checks comments sections and message boards)

...uh oh

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

...uh oh
    Yeah, UH OH, indeed.

This is going to blow up in their faces! In a world where your competition is doing Black Panther, Spectrum, Captain America (Sam) and soon Storm you’re giving us a race swapped Hawkman, a race swapped Catwoman, a race swapped Black Canary and now a race swapped Superman! Lol Use you’re original POC characters DC! Enough with the pandering race swaps! Thank god for Blue Beetle and Static getting films

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

...uh oh
    They picked the wrong creative team if they were trying to avoid something divisive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    This is going to blow up in their faces! In a world where your competition is doing Black Panther, Spectrum, Captain America (Sam) and soon Storm you’re giving us a race swapped Hawkman, a race swapped Catwoman, a race swapped Black Canary and now a race swapped Superman! Lol Use you’re original POC characters DC! Enough with the pandering race swaps! Thank god for Blue Beetle and Static getting films
    I never noticed before how it seems like DC is doing more race-swapping than actually promoting their diverse heroes.

Although I hope Marvel does better by Monica.

I don't think Hawkman should count as race swapping. It doesn't change continuity, he's just another reincarnation. In fact, it's what DC should do to him in the current universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't think Hawkman should count as race swapping. It doesn't change continuity, he's just another reincarnation. In fact, it's what DC should do to him in the current universe.
    It counts as raceswapping because DC will use White Hawkman everywhere else (video games, animation, comics). At this point Dc just look bad and like they don’t have any worthwhile POC characters

What is this Catwoman video from? https://twitter.com/SketchedBat/stat...50795966582787 We get a few more looks at Zoe Kravitz's Selina Kyle and we learn that they are taking inspiration from Brubaker and Cooke's depiction of the character as protector of the marginalized and forgotten (Crime Alley?).

Incredible Member

I find myself in agreement with this.

No one i know wants a black Clark Kent. The people i know want a Cyborg film. The people i know want an Icon tv series (long form story telling would be best in that characters case). The people i know would have been happy with a Jon/John Stewart Green Lantern film.

A Val Zod / Calvin Ellis / Whomever superman film would be interesting i suppose but it would need an incredible script that both keeps the character in the Superman Clark Kent universe while simultaneously making sure that he isn't saddled with being "almost but not quite" superman Clark KEnt.

I'd MUCH rather have ICON or Cyborg films if keeping this new Superman inferior to Clark Kent is the goal because of publishing history.

If an ANTMAN film can perform well i'm quite sure Cyborg , ICON and John Stewart Green Lantern would perform admirably as well.
    Last edited by Customizer; 05-06-2021 at 02:48 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I never noticed before how it seems like DC is doing more race-swapping than actually promoting their diverse heroes.
    Yeah, i noticed this only after this THR article came out.
    I mean dont get me wrong, Zoe as Selina is awesome, Jurnee as Black Canary too, im already loving Jeffrey Wright as Gordon and im absolutly on board with the idea of not letting skin color dictate who can play a certain character(unless the characters skin color is a vital point)...but while doing this, they seem to ignore their existing diverse characters.

And in doing so, what they do seems to look less and less genuine.

Just look at this allegedy informations on the Black Superman movie.
    A Black Superman from a black director as a period piece?
    You can already tell that the focus would more than likely be the skin color.

And while i do think that maybe the topic of racism needs to be tackled more, i wanted a black Superman movie not focus on that.
    I wanted it to treat Clark being black as normal and not the thing where he questions his place in the World.

It counts as raceswapping because DC will use White Hawkman everywhere else (video games, animation, comics). At this point Dc just look bad and like they don’t have any worthwhile POC characters
    Exactly. It's the same with characters like Black Canary or Deadshot, they'll be white everywhere else. There are tons of great minority characters that DC has created over the years and it's starting to become insulting how they neglect them in other media.

DC is a infinite multiverse
    Is it impossible for clark kent to be black in any universe now? of course not
    That should be their standard for everything not just adhering to the central Earth 0 standard

I do get the impression a lot of you would rather have mediocre white actors as long as they look the part vs say a really good POC actor who doesn't fit the comic look but brings a good performance because a lot of you can't comprehend the transition from page to film

It's kinda funny to see the about face double standard that WB operates on
    Rick Fumuyiwa got canned from Flash over issues about his script being too divisive because it had Flash investigating a police involved shooting of a black person and other corruption in the CCPD with Cyborg
    A couple years later this hire Ta Nehisi Coates to write their very highly touted reboot of Superman as a black man

All while in the midst of Ray Fisher's drama and quietly being canceled by WB

I'm happy we'll see a black superman movie though I am a fan of Coates just wish WB would have been bolder with their Flash direction because right now it seems a mess
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 05-06-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

It’s crazy that DC thinks in a post-BP world that Vixen wouldn’t be a smash hit. Doubt she hits a billion dollars but damn it you got an Afrofantasy-filled mythos headlined by a black woman who’s both a fashion icon AND businesswoman right there! You got Kiki Layne and Regina King available as well. Vixen would be competitive on the current market but alas we’re getting another race swap that’ll probably be known more for its controversy than anything else.

Hopefully Static really knocks it out the park and jumpstarts a Milestone renaissance so DC doesn’t have to resort to lazy pandering. As others have said, moves like this only draw attention to what many would perceive as a deficiency in original black characters. In comparison to Marvel it’s becomes even more embarrassing.