Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Default The news media and how they cover (or don't cover) News/Politics. Let's argue.

I feel like the news media is a big part of the public being ignorant about things. And frankly speaking, I think it's mostly intentional. I agree with Dana Milbank when he said...

“I don’t think anything in our training or experience as journalists prepared us for a moment in which one of the two major political parties is no longer cooperating with the democratic process."

I feel like before the Republicans became whatever they are now it was easy for the news media to just sell political horse races and "both side-isms". But now that Republicans went full blown fascists the news media is kinda forced to be real journalists now. But even still I see them kinda weaseling out of doing that.

For instance, Punchbowl News be like “I don’t think it’s incumbent on us to say, a person is a liar" If you are planning on reporting FACTS, that is indeed your job, it's probably your MAIN job ffs . If you wish to explain motivations for lying, well that's branching into opinion is it not? I mean the mental gymnastics of that statement.

I feel like people don't criticize the news media enough for the type of inviroment we're in. They're so concerned about looking partisan they forget to do their jobs.

https://twitter.com/magi_jay/status/1467890706211606534

Magdi is a good person to check out. Her media analysis game is pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I feel like the news media is a big part of the public being ignorant about things. And frankly speaking, I think it's mostly intentional. I agree with Dana Milbank when he said...

“I don’t think anything in our training or experience as journalists prepared us for a moment in which one of the two major political parties is no longer cooperating with the democratic process."
    If that’s true the training must be feeble beyond belief!

Think how tough it must be for journalists in countries where the state routinely uses its full power to intimidate the media…by any method needed, including imposing jail.

By comparison life for US journalists is cushty. And they should be doing everything they can to support democracy by exposing any politician that lies.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

They also refuse to fact-check police reports, and instead report it as fact without scrutiny. That's definitely intentional too, since they're very cosy with police departments. Because for local reporters on the crime beat their law enforcement sources are their daily bread & butter. Regardless though, they have to treat them like any other source & actually fact check. But they rarely do, likely do to fear of losing access. There's also probably pressure from up top too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    They also refuse to fact-check police reports, and instead report it as fact without scrutiny. That's definitely intentional too, since they're very cosy with police departments. Because for local reporters on the crime beat their law enforcement sources are their daily bread & butter. Regardless though, they have to treat them like any other source & actually fact check. But they rarely do, likely do to fear of losing access. There's also probably pressure from up top too.
    Which media are those? I haven't ever actually seen a pro police article in the past few years or so. Beyond the OP issue though, I'm reading terribly written articles that ignore grammar, tell the reader essentially nothing about the subject of the article, often leaving me wondering what it was supposed to be about. It used to be the rule that the article would tell the reader everything essential in the first paragraph of the story, now, if they aren't completely confusing as to what they're writing about, they mention it maybe at the very end. And of course they go with the first news of a major story, almost always getting it wrong, usually filtering it through whatever ideological lens they have. Then, they never retract their previous mess up and rarely even bother to correct it. Just sloppy work all around. Also, in the US media, the rest of the world mostly doesn't exist. So you must go to foreign media like BBC, NHK, DW, France 24, and others if you want to learn about anything happening outside the US.

What bugs me is how The News or at least the local news tries to use scare tactics to get people to watch.

Here in the Cincy area we get snow every year. Nothing major it hasnt been more then 6 or so inches but once in like the last 5 or 6 years. Over night we got less then a half an inch.

But what were the headlines on the local news? Now "A little snow coming." it was "Is this our first major winter storm of the season? Tune in to fine out." then the weather came on "Is this our first major storm of the season? Well no we really are not getting anything." But they used scare tactics to get people to tune in.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What bugs me is how The News or at least the local news tries to use scare tactics to get people to watch.

Here in the Cincy area we get snow every year. Nothing major it hasnt been more then 6 or so inches but once in like the last 5 or 6 years. Over night we got less then a half an inch.

But what were the headlines on the local news? Now "A little snow coming." it was "Is this our first major winter storm of the season? Tune in to fine out." then the weather came on "Is this our first major storm of the season? Well no we really are not getting anything." But they used scare tactics to get people to tune in.
    Local News has been going by the adage "If it bleeds, it leads" for decades. Rarely does local News tackle actual local problems. The report on corruption only after some pol is arrested. They concentrate on crime because it is "sexier". Outside of weather and traffic, they don't report anything useful.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The problem with national News outlets is they take the Republican narrative in almost everything.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Which media are those?.
    Local and national. There's also this article about this. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...c93_story.html

Also if you follow independent journos on Twitter they pretty much spill the beans on all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The problem with national News outlets is they take the Republican narrative in almost everything.
    Ive said a hundred times on here that the GOP is great at controlling the Narrative. They even set up their own news network for it. And CNN which a lot of people claim in the Democrat news machine they run as many stories that question Biden's mental health or bash him pretty bad. I mean I dont want fluff pieces on the news but when there are some stires that are not stories just bash attacks? Maybe look into that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Something like 6 mega-corporations own almost all of the media we consume. Much of the problem with the news is due to less partisanship and more corporate interest.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Something like 6 mega-corporations own almost all of the media we consume. Much of the problem with the news is due to less partisanship and more corporate interest.
    Unfortunately, those corporate interests align with the Republican agenda, or visa versa.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "LiBrUl mEdIa"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ive said a hundred times on here that the GOP is great at controlling the Narrative. They even set up their own news network for it. And CNN which a lot of people claim in the Democrat news machine they run as many stories that question Biden's mental health or bash him pretty bad. I mean I dont want fluff pieces on the news but when there are some stires that are not stories just bash attacks? Maybe look into that.
    Not to mention that a lot of social media (which I suspect reaches more people than traditional media) is dominated by conservative/hard-right nonsense. The conservative machine has been very quick to embrace and utilize social media and has practically legitimized disinformation. Some of the stuff I read is so stupid that I wonder how anyone can believe it but it is what it is.

Traditional media houses (outside of the conservative ones) still try to "two sides" issues which completely muddies the water. As you rightly pointed out, a lot of left-leaning outlets have been very critical of Biden and Democrats even after major successes. This doesn't help anyone and is pretty much bullcrap. Especially when some conservative media is taking a sharp right turn and now willingly put out lies and idiocy just to prop up their base.

It even becomes more complicated when you realize that only a few companies control majority of media. Throw in the social media companies and their greed and everything gets very messy.

But ultimately, it falls on the political entities/parties/ whatever to take charge and utilize the channels in front of them. Trump for example used social media very effectively and celebrated every win and every dumb thing he did, there's no reason for the opposition to not do the same. The Democrats need to get out in front of their message and counter disinformation...and they need to be unified. Seriously, guys like Boebert can get away with the sh!t see says about Ilhan Omar because her own party has vilified her for a while now.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-08-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Traditional media houses (outside of the conservative ones) still try to "two sides" issues which completely muddies the water. As you rightly pointed out, a lot of left-leaning outlets have been very critical of Biden and Democrats even after major successes. This doesn't help anyone and is pretty much bullcrap..
    I don't care about the media being critical of Democrats as long as it's fair. The problem is that they really starts to dig in when Democrats are trying to do things like BBB. When they're doing something that's the antithesis of that it doesn't get criticized or brought up. The media is on the side of their corporate overlords. And the only bias the "liberal media" has is towards the status quo.