Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default I like them all, Morrison/Snyder/King, do you?

I really liked Grant Morrison's Batman run
    then when it ended I read Scott Snyder's and I like it a lot
    and then I read and still read Kings run and I like it too

Am I the only one?

I ask this because I notice a lot of negativity that comes from threads of Kings run, I dont enter into many discussions here, however I dont see them as new. I clearly remember reading the exact same things about Snyder
    that he was the worst writer to ever touch batman
    Overrated
    he ruined him forever
    OMG OWLS!!
    really? this March guy looks just like Bruce, WTH Capullo, you suck!!

and Morrison was not different
    what the hell, a kid, for batman
    OMG what is he is snoring now
    What am I reading!!!(this last one is still valid for FC7)

I of course have my own critisisms on these runs But I never thought that they were ruining the character or that they werent entertaining for the least.

I really dislike some of the deconstruction aspects that Morrison did to batman, I think he could had been more straightforward and I never really liked his take on the Joker very much but I liked Dr Hurt even less, just never stoke me as a big villain and his motivation just wasnt very clear to me.

I think Snyder had a bad habit on trying to reform to many aspects of Batman that some didnt hit, like the new origins for Mr Freeze and Hush were completely unnesesary for example
    basically if it wasnt broken dont try to fix it
    and his Death of the Family was an overall weak story for what was a pretty good concept

King's pacing is pretty bad, some stories move too slow while others move too quick, Knightmares should had been 4 issues at the most not 8, but I overall liked the idea.

The biggest flaw that I have seen in other Batman writers is that I read an story and I felt that I have read it before, like it didnt leave a mark on the characters or on the world. they become forgettable after some time.
    I can honestly say that neither of the 3 main writers of the past 15 years have make that mistake.

You certainly aren't the only one because I really liked their Batman respectively and I'm enjoying King's current take. I don't share every critisism you make, and you probably won't share my own, but I think we agree in your final sentence. I like that they're giving me distinct versions of the same character instead of going with forgettable and not risked storylines. I think Batman has had a lot of great writers (and sure, some not so great) from quite a while and, what I consider even better, there has been produced a lot of comics appealing to different tastes, so if you don't like a title, there's always another one to follow (though of course there will always be people that won't care for any title. But that's unavoidable). Batman, Tec, Damned, Last Knight coming soon, another White Knight, etcetera. I think Batman is one of the characters who has had the most luck when it comes to quality and variety
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-24-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

Yes and no.

I LOVE Grant Morrison's Batman run, my favourite comic book run ever. Batman and Robin the standout with frequent highlights from the whole run. Batman #666 comes straight to mind, likewise Space Medicine.

I really liked Scott Snyder's run specially The Black Mirror which he never topped and Endgame. Court of Owls is overrated. Hate the Mr. Freeze origin revamp. That's the worst Snyder's ever written.

Didn't like Tom King's Batman barring the odd exception in Batman Annual #2 and The Button crossover.

Mighty Member

I enjoy all three. I have all of them in floppies, and am getting the Morrison and Snyder omnibuses (I'm hoping we get a Snyder w/o Capullo omni for Black Mirror, All Star, Gates, & the Signal). They're each different interpretations, but they all keep me entertained and show off a passion for the character
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I really liked Grant Morrison's Batman run
    then when it ended I read Scott Snyder's and I like it a lot
    and then I read and still read Kings run and I like it too
    You can see the talent in Morrison's run.
    But except the Owl arc, I don't see what's really to like in Snyders storie.
    For King it's different because you can see he tries innovative things, but he stretches them for full 6 chapters stories making each chapter en bit empty and stupid. (with some exceptions)

Am I the only one?
    No you are not

I ask this because I notice a lot of negativity that comes from threads of Kings run, I dont enter into many discussions here, however I dont see them as new. I clearly remember reading the exact same things about Snyder
    that he was the worst writer to ever touch batman
    Overrated
    he ruined him forever
    OMG OWLS!!
    really? this March guy looks just like Bruce, WTH Capullo, you suck!!
    Yes Snyder and King are both bad at writting Batman in their own way.
    The Only reason Snyder is a little less hated is because of Capullo and the invention of the Court of Owl, and his use of the Joker.

and Morrison was not different
    what the hell, a kid, for batman
    OMG what is he is snoring now
    What am I reading!!!(this last one is still valid for FC7)
    Morrison is a very good writter.
    But in the middle of his run he incorporate lots of old stories and some fantastic stuff that were complicated to understand and a bit confusing.

I of course have my own critisisms on these runs But I never thought that they were ruining the character or that they werent entertaining for the least.
    Well when you really study the runs of the 90's and Morrsion's, you really see that Snyder and King have very poor writting skills.

I really dislike some of the deconstruction aspects that Morrison did to batman, I think he could had been more straightforward and I never really liked his take on the Joker very much but I liked Dr Hurt even less, just never stoke me as a big villain and his motivation just wasnt very clear to me.
    Yes Dr. Hurt what his big faillure.
    But to introduce Damian was very well.
    And his Batman Inc. art is in my opinion excellent.

I think Snyder had a bad habit on trying to reform to many aspects of Batman that some didnt hit, like the new origins for Mr Freeze and Hush were completely unnesesary for example
    basically if it wasnt broken dont try to fix it
    and his Death of the Family was an overall weak story for what was a pretty good concept
    Yes.
    As well Snyder alwasy mishandled the ending of his stories.
    The Owls arc starts of very good. But look how it ends.

King's pacing is pretty bad, some stories move too slow while others move too quick, Knightmares should had been 4 issues at the most not 8, but I overall liked the idea.
    Exactly.

The biggest flaw that I have seen in other Batman writers is that I read an story and I felt that I have read it before, like it didnt leave a mark on the characters or on the world. they become forgettable after some time.
    I can honestly say that neither of the 3 main writers of the past 15 years have make that mistake.
    Yes they have, no one will ever concider Snyder or Scott has memorable writters in 5-10-20 years.
    It's because they are recent that you remember them.
    Before you had Chuck Dixon and his creation of Bane and his use of Azrael that was excellent.
    You had Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker with the New Gotham arc and Bruce Wayne: Murderer ? / Fugitive arc that were magnificent.
    Also what Paul Dini did on Detective Comics and Streets of Gotham and his great use of the Batman/Catwoman/Hush relationships.
    They are way better reads than any recent runs in my opinion.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-06-2019 at 05:09 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

-I liked parts of Morrison's run, specifically his Batman and Robin, but beyond that I just couldn't get into his run at all. That's the problem with returning to comics just as his run was ending. I saw the ending before having read the rest and frankly that ruined the entirety of it for me. I'm one of those people that can't stand knowing the ending ahead of reading something so that probably didn't help things.

-Synder's run got tiresome after awhile because everything with him was "the next big game changing story". After a point I just felt as if he was trying to hard to outdo whatever his previous arc was and I really feel like that he lost sight along the way of what made his earlier work so enjoyable to me. I did enjoy the Court of Owls arc a lot though and I also liked Death of the Family.

-King is my favorite Bat writer by a mile but I realize that his work is perhaps a bit to esoteric for a mainline and flagship ongoing. I also realize that his work isn't for everyone so I don't have a beef with anyone who doesn't care for it. King's work just happens to be of interest to me personally is all even with all its flaws and even with parts of it that I didn't care for.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I like Morrison and I like King's runs. I hated Snyder's run with a burning passion. It got worse and worse over time to the point of self-parody. But he actually started out with the best stories of any of the three. So that's worth something.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    . . . Didn't like Tom King's Batman barring the odd exception in Batman Annual #2 and The Button crossover.
    About "The Button" crossover: King didn't even script that second Batman issue (#22).
    Joshua Williamson did that (though King was still involved in the plotting/story with Williamson).

Astonishing Member

I liked the very beginning of Morrison's run, but that petered out long before Final Crisis and his death.

I liked most of Snyder's run up until they put Gordon in the suit, but then I didn't hop back on until Bruce was put back into it. I felt his All-Star Batman was a bit uneven, but I gotta say, I LOVED the last arc of that series that focused on Alfred.

For me, anyways, there's been a few misses with King's run, but when he hit, they were goddamn grand slams. And he is literally the only writer since the Bronze Age that at all convinced me that Bruce & Selina have the least bit of chemistry. Regardless of how he ends his work on Batman, I can't wait to see it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They have their own positives and negatives

I love Morrison's approach to continuity and he brought back a lot of insane Batman history and found a way to mix it with the modern era, but I can see how people hate it because Post Crisis started out very down to earth, and then there's his Talia.

Snyder's probably my favorite in term of character voice and his series of game-changing epic feels like every story is important, but as others already said, it's ridiculous how many disaster Gotham can face in such a short time.

King is the opposite of Snyder in that his story is so decompressed. I like some of his voices but not all. He also seems to be more often out of the three to write out of character in order to fit his idea. He's probably my least favorite of the three. I was actually interested in the plan he made for Bane, but man, get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Yes Dr. Hurt what his big faillure.
    But to introduce Damian was very well.
    And his Batman Inc. art is in my opinion excellent.
    Dr Hurt was a great challenge for batman but a dissaster of a character
    there is a point on RIP in which he apparently returns as Thomas Wayne trying to trick everyone, not just bruce and no one remembers this, no one references this ever and im positive that not a single reader fall for it.

Yes.
    As well Snyder alwasy mishandled the ending of his stories.
    The Owls arc starts of very good. But look how it ends.
    =/
    I dont think so
    I actually liked the end of CoO
    and as much as i dislike it, I think the ending of Death of the family is best part of it.

Yes they have, no one will ever concider Snyder or Scott has memorable writters in 5-10-20 years.
    It's because they are recent that you remember them.
    Before you had Chuck Dixon and his creation of Bane and his use of Azrael that was excellent.
    You had Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker with the New Gotham arc and Bruce Wayne: Murderer ? / Fugitive arc that were magnificent.
    Also what Paul Dini did on Detective Comics and Streets of Gotham and his great use of the Batman/Catwoman/Hush relationships.
    They are way better reads than any recent runs in my opinion.
    I completely disagree
    First Snyder is definitely not a recent writer, CoO started on 2011, when he finishes Last Knight he would had written Batman for over 8 years, and this not including his JL.

and I know not everything that they have done is as remember as other things but that doesnt mean they didnt leave a mark like the writers of No Man's Land. equally people remember some parts of NML more than others. the same for BW:murderer/fugitive.

people right now remember Morrison for Batman & Robin than his Batman RIP and most forget that Dr Hurt was even a thing.
    I think people remember Snyder's run for stuff like CoO and Endgame more than Death of the family and Zero Year
    and I believe people will remember King for I am Suicide and Rules of Engagement, and posibly the next arc more than what will happen next

My point is that those stories dont feel like will be forgotten as simply or as quickly as others
    Like your example of Paul Dini
    I love Paul Dini's take on Hush, thats the definitive Hush, even superior to Jeph Loeb's
    and yet I dont think it is as memorable.
    his Streets of Gotham was excellent but right now no aspects of it are relevant to the current continuity
    and thats the mark right there
    If it withstands a crisis or a reboot, it is and will be memorable.

Here is something that I just thought about
    Hush is getting its animated adaptation
    easily one of the most memorable comic stories in Batman in forever
    but its a "run" or part of a "run" by Jeph Loeb
    it was just 1 arc, 8 issues, begining, middle and end and still leave its mark. not that Loeb needed that because he wrote also The Long Halloween, one of the best Batman comics ever made and will never be washed away from history.
    but Loeb also wrote Superman/Batman, which is less memorable(even though it was adapted by an animated movie before TLH, come on DC) but it doesnt detract from him as a great Batman writer.

so yeah It doesnt matter if King/Snyder/Morrison made some less good stories or bad stories they did made some iconic ones

Extraordinary Member

I think I’d say I’m generally favorable towards all three, but not necessarily a fan, of that makes sense.

I own at least one arc from all three, and generally have one or two standout issues from them that I really, really enjoy... but I tend to be just a bit less attracted or addicted to the overall run, and tend to view them in the abstract.:

- Morrison’s introduction of Damian and the overall Batman RIP and Batman INC status quo changes were all good for me... but I’m not going to pretend like Morrison’s style of writing strikes my fancy, that I was reading every issue, or that I don’t own far more issues from Paul Dini and Fabian Nicieza’s companion runs from the same time.
    - Snyder’s style is a bit more my speed, and I love most of Zero Year... but at a certain point I find myself just shrugging non-committally towards his more outlandish and over-the-top ideas, and his Joker actually isn’t my speed at all. Still, I like his style most of the time, and I see him as a great successor run to Morrison.
    - King’s style does strike me as over-wrought at times, but I like a lot of his concepts, and if it weren’t for the head fake on the BatCat marriage, I’d probably like it a lot more. Still, he seems to be the first of the three to see Bane as the potentially greater Batman villain, he’s on one wavelength with me there.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I liked the very beginning of Morrison's run, but that petered out long before Final Crisis and his death.
    You may want to amend "his death" to "Batman's death", since Morrison (the only person/character mentioned in that sentence) was still alive last I was aware.

There are things about all three writers' runs that I really enjoy, and things that I dont. And some stuff that I disliked once, I have since come around on; Damian being a prime example. I couldn't stand the little bastard at first but he's grown on me over the years and now I really enjoy him.

Of the three, I liked Morrison the best. But I'm a bigger fan of Morrison than I am Snyder or King so that's to be expected.

I wouldn't say any of their runs were/are perfect but there's good stuff in all of them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I like Morrison's run for the most part. He had some great ideas and stories but he did not always deliver. I also think the Man-Bat attack action sequence from his "Batman and Son" story arc is one of the best action sequences to be put in a comic.

I love Snyder's work. The Jim Gordon as Batman stuff is the only part of his run that I really didn't like. Black Mirror, the Court of Owls saga, and the first half of Zero Year are highlights for me and I think the Court of Owls saga is up there as one of the Best Batman stories ever.

King's work is terrible. He can't write people and good dialogue to save his life, his plots are weak and his work is full of so many laughably terrible moments.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman