Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

That's a blast from the past. I'd forgotten the summaries but remember the pics, mostly. For the most part its all very underwhelming. But one cool thing with the Superman entry is that Clark/Lex dynamic. That part is cool; a very unstable cerebral element on top of the classic hatred.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-13-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Mine would be a kind of retro-futuristic world. A sort of cross between the Golden Age and early Silver Age, albeit set in a version of the modern-day. Think BTAS, Fleisher cartoons, New Frontier etc. as some of my stylistic influences.

More so than Marvel's Ultimate line, my line would be inspired by the 'Marvel Adventures' line and their other all-ages titles. Not in terms of maturity level, but in terms of approach to continuity. I'd go with a mix of one-off tales and 2-3 issue arcs. There would be some continuity and progression - but no drastic status quo shattering stuff. At least, not on a regular basis. Kinda like the actual Golden Age and Silver Age.

Needless to say, most books, unless specified, would be set in a kind of 'early DCU' where superheroes are just starting to become a thing.

Here are some of the initial books/characters I'd launch with-

Superman: This is a young Superman who's been operating in Metropolis for just a few months when the series begins. His suit is kinda an updated version of the Fleisher suit, with the black in the logo replacing the yellow. He's just a bit above the Golden Age power levels, but he has the ability to fly and his sensory powers. He's powerful, but has his limits and is vulnerable to massive damage - for instance, he'd shrug of bullets, but a powerful enough bomb could knock him out and a nuke might even kill him. He's strong enough to lift a car easily, and at peak strength can just about life an oil tanker. Clark Kent would be like a younger version of the George Reeves take - an intrepid reporter who's genuinely committed to journalism. He's 'mild-mannered' but by no means a weakling - an he and Lois make a crack team of investigative journalists. Most of the foes, at least to begin with, will be earth-bound threats - as this is an early Superman who has only a rudimentary understanding of his Kryptonian heritage.

Batman and Robin: When the series starts, Batman has already been around for a few years, largely as an urban myth who's only now starting to become recognized as a hero and not a vigilante by the authorities and the people of Gotham. The opening stories will focus on how a 14 year old Dick Grayson becomes part of Batman's world and his evolution into Robin. After that, the status quo holds and the series becomes about the early adventures of the Dynamic Duo against the familiar rogue's gallery and Gotham's underworld. Robin wears the classic outfit (pixie boots and all), and Batman wears a slightly darker and more updated version of the Golden Age blue & grey suit. The series will have a somewhat noir-ish tone, but this Batman, while serious-minded, is no brooder and gradually starts to lighten up and enjoy being a hero with Robin by his side.

Wonder Woman: In this version, Diana first came to Man's World back during WW2. She's a quasi-historical figure and an urban legend of sorts. The series will follow Wonder Woman's adventures during the war, with Intelligence operative Colonel Steve Trevor by her side. Later, once she returns to Man's World in the present-day (as detailed in Justice League) the series will starts jumping between time periods and showing Diana's adventures from various eras. Her suit, in the past, will be a slightly updated version of the Golden Age outfit (skirt and all), and her 'modern' suit will resemble the film version of her suit.

Justice League: The book kicks off with a White Martian invasion, that prompts J'onn J'onzz to call together the Justice League. Superman, Batman, Flash and Aquaman are already active heroes. Wonder Woman returns to Man's World from Themyscera. And US Marine John Stewart actually gets the power ring during the invasion and becomes Green Lantern. Following this, the League is formed, and maintains their headquarters at the Hall of Justice. In time, other members will join or guest-star including Hawkgirl, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Atom, Blue Beetle, Firestorm, Vixen etc.

Brave and the Bold: A book to basically showcase various DC heroes in this verse who don't have their own titles. Some of the heroes who will get story-arcs in this title include-

Green Lantern Corps: John Stewart's solo adventures on Earth, and in space, with other GLC members. It will be established that Hal is already also a GL who works mainly in deep space.

Green Arrow and Black Canary: A very 'classic' version of the couple, straight out of the JLU cartoon.

Flash: Barry Allen's solo adventures as the Flash. A very classic take on Barry (no dead mom). Basically a modern-day take on the earliest Silver Age adventures.

Aquaman: Aquaman is modeled after the classic Silver Age take, and will focus on his sea-faring adventures, as well as his duties as the King of Atlantis.

One thing to keep in mind is the purpose of Ultimate Marvel. A lot of the ideas are stuff I'm interested in but they also feel very nostalgia bait. Ultimate Marvel was an attempt by Marvel to "update" their characters for the modern world, with a clean break from continuity, and VERY different characterizations in some cases. An "Ultimate" DC would be focused on the same "update" for the characters. Personally I'd borrow from Ultimate Marvel's reduced power levels. Everyone is at their Golden Age power levels, so no Superman juggling planets, no Batgod master of preptime, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought the New52 was an "Ultimate" DC Universe?
    It was and it wasn't. The big difference here is that the DC Ultimate universe just swallowed the main continuity whole instead of running parallel to it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Funny. Earth 2 was essentially DC's Ultimate Universe Earth during the New 52.

It just fell apart VERY quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I am crazy about this one. Dick Grayson Robin has been gone SO long and he really got short shrift from New 52. And he has never been in any movie except Batman '66. (No, Chris O'Donnell doesn't count.) So many years of Batman movies since then, from 1989-present, and the most we've seen of Robin was that costume in BvS.

Robin the Boy Wonder has always been tied with Batman for my favorite character. And all characters benefit from contemporary storytelling, which is so much more sophisticated than the comics for kids we read through the 70s. I would love to see a great writer play with the true, original Dynamic Duo. I wouldn't mind having Superman around for that either. World's Finest, anyone? Those were some damn fine comics to grow up on.

I'd prefer Tom King do this since he's my favorite but there are so many writers that would be great for it.

The inclusion of Dick Grayson as Robin in the Titans series is the one thing that has me most excited to subscribe to DC's streaming service.
    Agree with all of this.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Funny. Earth 2 was essentially DC's Ultimate Universe Earth during the New 52.

It just fell apart VERY quickly.
    Once Taylor took over it was basically one long drawn out Ultimatum. And then Wilson took over and it got so much worse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Once Taylor took over it was basically one long drawn out Ultimatum. And then Wilson took over and it got so much worse.
    It's rare to get to see a book start with SUCH promise and just quickly turn to trash. So many good ideas started off with and just...tossed. It was almost comical by Society how many contradictions were being made.

Like Jay Garrick who was empowered by the powers of the dying god Apollo (yeah...). Or describing Alan Scott's ring as Oan tech (yikes).

I like the titans pitch the most. It feels somewhat fresh and distinct compared to the others and I like that they aren't legacies.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-14-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Holy ****, that Wonder Woman one is godawful.

Spectacular Member

Yah, the Green Lantern one is kinda interesting, and the Superman one is fine. The Wonder Woman and Teen Titans ones made me wince a little though.

Something else I'd like to see (and think should've happened with New52), is a total reinterpretation of the heroes.

Something more like the Flashpoint universe or the Tangent universe, not something that just looks like the DC Universe heroes with new costumes.

Batman: Steve Schroeder is a museum curator who becomes cursed to turn into a were-bat after handling an ancient artifact coming from Transylvania.

Superman: Fred Mitchell is a daredevil stunt-man and a master illusionist, but no one knows his true secret- that he's really a clone, one of many, of the former stage magician Mysto.

Wonder Woman: Macy Clarke wakes up the day after witnessing what she thinks was a ufo and discovers that she now has enhanced senses, strength and reflexes.

Flash: Kristian Turner is approached by a mysterious old man and soon discovers that she can see 'flashes' of past events by touching items.

Green Lantern: Natalie Howell is an archeologist that uncovers a secret lantern that gives the user the ability to control the emotions of others by shining a green light on them.

Aquaman: Jake Yates has been living a normal life, but his world turns upside down when a group of strange people arrive to take him in for conspiring against the Royal Family... of Atlantis.

Martian Manhunter: Katelyn Delacruz has a secret about what makes her one of the best bounty hunters in the business: dedication, determination and some of the best training on Mars.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

They could just make the earth one graphic novel’s their ultimate universe

I have but still haven’t read teen titans volume two and green lantern

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It was and it wasn't. The big difference here is that the DC Ultimate universe just swallowed the main continuity whole instead of running parallel to it.
    Hate to compare them but you take COIE which main goal was to simplify DC and jettison the Multiverse right or wrong decision for two decades they stuck to that until Infinite Crisis and even then the Multiverse never had the status it did in Pre-Crisis with main heroes living on different Earths. New 52 wanted to simplify DC by Jettison history which they failed at because they didn't committed you either go all in like the Ultimate Universe where it's ground zero or you don't do it because the middle of the road approach and all the questions it asked was New 52's biggest issue as long with all the editorial screw ups.

Invincible Member

I remember that! I think the only one I flat out didn't like the time was the origin of the Justice League and it wasn't bad, it just seemed a bit generic to me.