Page 1814 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 814131417141764180418101811181218131814181518161817181818241864 ... LastLast
Results 27,196 to 27,210 of 28116

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I disagree.
    Okay.

Try again. You've been going on about this way before I said Hal is riskier than his colleagues.
    What have I been going on about to earn being called a "fanatic" for it? In what way are my opinions towards the character obsessive or unreasonable to be conflated with fanaticism? If I have defended him before, it was because I must've felt he was either being unjustly criticized or blamed for something that wasn't on him. How does this make me a fanatic and in a place where comic book readers gather with the very idea to discuss and occasionally debate these characters.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-11-2018 at 05:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I thought MR was good as Harley but when I feel like watching Suicide Squad I always end up preferring to watch one of the animated films over the live action one.
    I enjoyed the recent SS animated film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Wonder Woman made 821 million so did Spider-Man 2002 and that's not even adjusting for inflation and only had a 139 million dollar budget and that was 2002 dollars and his sequels all made more. Iron Man 3 no cameos outside of Rhodey made over a Billion dollars as did Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises origin films doing great is fantastic sequels doing better is even better because it shows the brand is growing for a studio. Also though plenty of films with straight white guys fail even when connected to well known franchises like Robocop 2014 as does diverse films too while diverse films do great too heck going way back Marvel's first cinematic hit was Blade if a movie is good people will come.

Also I again personally prefer Alan Scott, Kyle Rayner, and John Stewart over Hal Jordan who I find uninteresting and honestly a bit of a "Mary Sue" with how lauded he is in an organization thousands of years old with thousands of members. But dismissing Hal over race and gender is foolish IMO when under the premise he won't be as profitable as a more diverse characters. I also think it downgrades the achievements of films like Black Panther and Wonder Woman taking the success earned by the filmmakers and giving it to race and gender those films being good had a major factor in helping them Ryan Coogler and Patty Jenkins had more to do with the success than the characters IMO just like Thor being a white guy had way less impact on Thor Ragnarok success than the creative direction of Taika Waititi. It's like saying Deadpool did well because it was rated R while ignoring the real factor was the Studio allowed the creative side freedom to allow Deadpool be Deadpool.
    Did you even... read the post you were quoting? Wow, what a waste of digital ink (though of course this is not the first time I have seen you obtusely ignore points in a post while arguing with the same post which is why I can barely take you seriously now).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What have I been going on about to earn being called a "fanatic" for it?
    You do know where the word "fan" comes from, right?

Also, an excellent exercise in dodging the question. You are very good in avoiding giving reasons why movies have to centre around a white male character in this thread and various others.

I know where the word "fan" comes from, but we all know what you meant by "fanatic". Whatever.

Also, an excellent exercise in dodging the question. You are very good in avoiding giving reasons why movies have to centre around a white male character in this thread and various others.
    Apparently not as good as you trying to put words in people's mouths to suit your narrative. Can you show me where I said movies "have to" center around white male characters? My only argument was that characters should not be put on the back burner based on their ethnicity or gender. That's relegating characters who have been around for decades merely to their external qualities, which isn't right no matter what those qualities are.
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-11-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It hardly seems unusual for a fan of any character to take issue with the idea that their character isn't worth the risk of being used. Especially for the dubious reason of one bad previous adaptation that would have sucked if John or Kyle were in it in his place.

Diversity doesn't have to be pushed aside for Hal. Hal can be used with any number of the other Earth GL's. It can very easily be an ensemble picture.

Extraordinary Member

Geoff is taking a more hands on approach to the GLC film. Hal feature prominently, no doubt. Hopefully, this film presentation will outshine the previous one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Cast Oscar Issac as Hal please. He felt like Hal in both Star Wars movies and it will make all the people obsessed with race happy. I said before Keith Davis is my dream Darkseid, Oscar Issac is my dream Hal.
    I could see it .
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It hardly seems unusual for a fan of any character to take issue with the idea that their character isn't worth the risk of being used. Especially for the dubious reason of one bad previous adaptation that would have sucked if John or Kyle were in it in his place.

Diversity doesn't have to be pushed aside for Hal. Hal can be used with any number of the other Earth GL's. It can very easily be an ensemble picture.
    Yeah, there's plenty of diversity in the GL franchise if handled well, without needing to throw Hal aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, there's plenty of diversity in the GL franchise if handled well, without needing to throw Hal aside.
    Hal's Jewish right? That counts as diversity doesn't it?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Probably depends who you ask (I'm Jewish but I'm not that particular about it) .

#if_pedant_fan_history_mode
    There are two theories. The orthodox one is indeed that it comes from "fanatic". The other theory is that it comes from "fancy" (which itself was a contraction of "fantasy"); using "the fancy" was used in Britain during the 19th century to describe groups of followers of sports teams or athletes, and this usage was later shortened to just "fan".

For myself, I believe the latter etymology is more sensible, especially since it carries exactly the same meaning as when "the fancy" was coined.
    #end_pedant_fan_history_mode

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I feel like this is the one property where it's easiest to include as many characters as possible to please multiple parts of the fanbase at once.

And yet, here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't see how it could hurt. There's always room for more positive representation for any group. An adaptation could play up Hal's Jewish roots.

Probably depends who you ask (I'm Jewish but I'm not that particular about it) .
    I'm Jewish too. Or rather, I'm Jew-ish. Haven't been to synagogue since my Bar Mitzvah. I'm an atheist; I claim the culture but not the Old Testament. That's one of the nice things about Judaism. You can be an atheist and Jew at once. Judaism doesn't require one to believe in god.

As for Hal, well, we've been told he's Jewish but that's as far as it's gone. It's never had an ounce of impact on his character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    #if_pedant_fan_history_mode
    There are two theories. The orthodox one is indeed that it comes from "fanatic". The other theory is that it comes from "fancy" (which itself was a contraction of "fantasy"); using "the fancy" was used in Britain during the 19th century to describe groups of followers of sports teams or athletes, and this usage was later shortened to just "fan".

For myself, I believe the latter etymology is more sensible, especially since it carries exactly the same meaning as when "the fancy" was coined.
    #end_pedant_fan_history_mode
    I did not know that.