Page 63 of 105 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I don't see books with low sales as a bad thing. At least those characters are getting stories on their own and having their own material. If Shuri is gaining interest people can just walk into a store snd buy her trades if they're looking for something to read. Not to mention they can also buy BP stuff. The same can't be said with Karen.

Her being a knockoff isn't even hurting her. She's loved in the TT and YJ shows. Plus Rebirth got rid of her suit powers and made her an actual meta which I prefer.
    I mean, I could complain about them rebooting comic Shuri into the MCU version but it's probably good that she has a book out versus having nothing at all.

DC could stand to take a little more chances with the characters they give books too. Maybe not to the excess amount Marvel does, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Teen Lantern in YJ can be interesting and dont seem to be only a fill up...

Vixen is also nice and Icon seems to have a good role in the DC Animation Series YJ..
    Isn't Teen Lantern Bolivian? Doubt she's Black. Makes more sense that she's of Native descent, since Bolivia is majority Indigenous/Mestizo.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jeremy Whitley even pitched one a few years ago. It was turned down, and Marvel, not knowing about it, then coincidentally offered him Unstoppable Wasp.
    Interesting.

Those book have really low sales on the direct market.
    Marvel does not CARE about the direct market. You have books like Shuri, Moon Girl, Wasp, Ms Marvel, Iceman & Squirrel Girl made for a REASON.
    It's to get MATERIAL starring them out there on the shelves and understanding they fill in the holes.
    Shuri is going to last 10 issues. She will have 3 trades (1 being her BP run). She does not need 20 volumes of trades. Those 3 are enough until the next movie.
    Same with Wasp and her 4. That is enough to fill the market and the resell market. Enough for a few special editions.

And Karen doesn't even has any legacy connection to prop up the sales.

That she is kind of a knock off of Wasp also doesn't help.
    Karen can't do that? She's not good enough for ONE trade? As for being called a copy of Wasp? WHOSE FAULT IS THAT??? She has been around for 40+ years. That is on DC.

And honestly being the first female black character doesn't mean much, when most of the appearances of the character are so minor that doesn't even really has an established personality or any stories.
    This character only had 10 appearances in his 30 years of existence.
    This character only had 43 solo issues.
    This character was a joke creation and was MIA for 15 years.

Say hi to Rocket Raccoon, Static & Squirrel Girl.

Nothing is stopping a person from taking someone with nothing and doing something with them.

Just make a Bumblebee Appreciation thread if you want one.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Marvel does not CARE about the direct market. You have books like Shuri, Moon Girl, Wasp, Ms Marvel, Iceman & Squirrel Girl made for a REASON.
    I think the direct market is still a factor enough to where at least a few of those books still get canceled instead of going ad infinitum like Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl.
    It's to get MATERIAL starring them out there on the shelves and understanding they fill in the holes.
    Shuri is going to last 10 issues. She will have 3 trades (1 being her BP run). She does not need 20 volumes of trades. Those 3 are enough until the next movie.
    Same with Wasp and her 4. That is enough to fill the market and the resell market. Enough for a few special editions.
    Man, can you imagine the contrast with the current run ?
    Karen can't do that? She's not good enough for ONE trade? As for being called a copy of Wasp? WHOSE FAULT IS THAT??? She has been around for 40+ years. That is on DC.
    Has DC done Titans-centric trades? I think I might have heard about a Raven and Starfire one, but that's about it.

I don't think DC really cares about the Wasp comparison otherwise they'd stop using her wholesale even when Wasp is now in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Depends probably on if the writer will stay arround and use them in other books, but usually new additions to team books fade quickly into obscurity (that happens even with Justice Leaguers).

Beast Bay, Raven, Starfire and Cyborg are really an exception when it comes to that.
    Gar especially, as he was originally from Doom Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Janet's been around for 56 years though. There's no denying she's a copy - but yes, there's certainly been plenty of time for her to become more well known, time that was squandered. Don't forget, Aquaman is better known than Submariner - but Namor is the original, Arthur's the copy. That time the newer character became more famous.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-22-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Gar especially, as he was originally from Doom Patrol.

Janet's been around for 56 years though. There's no denying she's a copy - but yes, there's certainly been plenty of time for her to become more well known, time that was squandered. Don't forget, Aquaman is better known than Submariner - but Namor is the original, Arthur's the copy. That time the newer character became more famous.
    Oddly enough, thanks to Super Friends (initially) Arthur Curry got the boost I think, despite the memes that have long come from the show. And then followed by the DCAU Justice League later on.

I know this isn't an official version of the team, but this would be my wish if I every had a say on a reboot. I don't care if Mon-el is a Legion character. I just like him better than Supergirl and I think the team needs a Super-person. And Garth always bored me so I used Kaldur instead.

Teen_Titans.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I know this isn't an official version of the team, but this would be my wish if I every had a say on a reboot. I don't care if Mon-el is a Legion character. I just like him better than Supergirl and I think the team needs a Super-person. And Garth always bored me so I used Kaldur instead.

Teen_Titans.jpg
    This looks pretty cool .

(Poor Garth )

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post

Teen_Titans.jpg
    Awesome picture! Kaldur belongs more with the YJ generation (ie Tim, Kon, Cassie, Bart, Jaime, Virgil, Megan...etc) if you ask me. Still a cool picture though.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That'd be awesome! Maybe we might actually get to see the Fab Five together in live-action ?
    This show about to be a guiding light and save Dick Donna Roy Garth and Wally from the mistreatment they have endured in comics, and hopefully it will spin into enough appeal that the comics will have to comply

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This looks pretty cool .

(Poor Garth )
    Needs Garth and Dick needs a better mask.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Needs Garth and Dick needs a better mask.
    Also, Roy needs to get rid of the baseball cap.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Also, Roy needs to get rid of the baseball cap.
    The one thing HiC did right was launching that thing into the ocean.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Awesome picture! Kaldur belongs more with the YJ generation (ie Tim, Kon, Cassie, Bart, Jaime, Virgil, Megan...etc) if you ask me. Still a cool picture though.
    Not a fan of Kaldur, would like to see more an Aquagirl like Tula with YJ..