Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    The article on CBR's front page says that FLASH FORWARD will be a six-issue series.

https://www.cbr.com/flash-forward-wa...risis-spinoff/

Of course, if sales and response are through the roof, it might continue, I would guess.

I like Brett Booth's art, and I like Evan Shaner's cover that they show in the CBR article, so at least it'll be well drawn.

I'm sure Lobdell will do an OK job with this as writer -- nothing spectacularly groundbreaking and nothing terrible.

I don't think that's how the major events work at DC or Marvel anyway no matter who the writer is. Wally was made a killer in HIC because DiDio/editorial mandated it, not because that was Tom King's pitch. Tom King had the bare bones of what he wanted HIC to do, and then he was told to make it a murder mystery with Wally as the killer.

Maybe this redemption miniseries is a result of the backlash that HIC received, and it was assigned to Lobdell to whip something together quickly.
    Redemption stories aren't really Lobdell's specialty. I think Geoff Johns would have been a better choice for this, but DOOMSDAY CLOCK is taking up all of Johns' time.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

I can't wait be told that committing mass murder, planting fake evidence and framing others, and exposing others' privacy to the world was all just some kind of misinderstanding.

Because he was sad when it happened and that makes it okay. Either kill him or let him rot, he'll never be able to escape from what he did.

Astonishing Member

I don't think that's how the major events work at DC or Marvel anyway no matter who the writer is. Wally was made a killer in HIC because DiDio/editorial mandated it, not because that was Tom King's pitch. Tom King had the bare bones of what he wanted HIC to do, and then he was told to make it a murder mystery with Wally as the killer.
    The murderer in HIC being a hero was King's idea. Didio chose Wally for this, but King still had the idea of a hero becoming a murderer of other heroes.

Also, Wally "fits" the story King wants to tell, sice he is well known and popular enough. So, I don't think King has problems using Wally for HIC.

Mighty Member

Maybe this redemption miniseries is a result of the backlash that HIC received, and it was assigned to Lobdell to whip something together quickly.
    I don't think Flash Forward is an event of some note, so I think the degree to which we quibble (barely) might be more about that than anything. Because Lobdell is a quick writer and goes with the flow so well from editorial (not a criticism), it makes it much more likely* the point of this story is to take him on a journey to leading the Suicide Squad, which, whatever.

*Or to say another way, Johns, Morrison, Waid, or someone else w/a stronger creative voice would be much less likely to be brought on for the sole purpose of taking Wally from sad sack to penitent member of the SS
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Ill repeat this here too, i honestly think this is just Ric all over again. They want to get something with Wally out quick to follow up on him being a hot topic, and to bridge the gap between HiC and whatever. Lobdell and Booth are old school Marvel guys versed in that style. Plus Booth is a Wally fan. So Booth can knock out the art, and then Lobdell can come in and fill in words to it. Giving a DC a quick mini.

So ya, i honestly i think this is glorified filler. A gap filler between HiC and something else more significant. Which i get, but at the same time i think any eyes or buzz or heat or whatever Wally might have after HiC is going to be snuffed under Lobdell and Booth's Marvel style filler. Just like like with Ric. Boring old school filler crap, propped up by a recent character changing traumatic event.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.

This is the creative team that launched the Teen Titans during New 52.

No thanks. I won't even give it a chance.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 06-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.

I’m pretty sure Booth is why we get this book: He’s been asking for ages to get one for Wally: So Lets Thank Him for that at least
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    I’m pretty sure Booth is why we get this book: He’s been asking for ages to get one for Wally: So Lets Thank Him for that at least
    Why?

If Lobdell is writing it, it's gonna suck. What's the point in having a book for a beloved character if the creative team has a horrible track record and in all likelihood will mess it up?

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Why?

If Lobdell is writing it, it's gonna suck. What's the point in having a book for a beloved character if the creative team has a horrible track record and in all likelihood will mess it up?
    Booth’s been vocally displeased with How Wally’s been handled- Especially with Titans (which he was on) and when he chose a Flash for Flash/Speed Buggy he chose Wally and Lobdell did a Good Job
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Redemption stories aren't really Lobdell's specialty. I think Geoff Johns would have been a better choice for this, but DOOMSDAY CLOCK is taking up all of Johns' time.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    RHATO N52 was about redeeming Jason, hell the first trade even is called Redemption.

Again, I will be giving this a try because I love Wally. I’m excited he is getting a mini series. However, if it sucks after a few issues then I drop it. I don’t have faith in the current regime at DC but I will at least give this a try.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    RHATO N52 was about redeeming Jason, hell the first trade even is called Redemption.
    Ya, and New 52 RHatOs was poop...
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'm surprised at the negative reaction towards this announcement. Lodbell has shown himself post Rebirth to be a decent writer. He's solid.
    He sure can be.

But Lobdell is also the go-to to man for when a mandate is in place and is not to be questioned.

"Hey, we need all these Teen Titans to have no relationship with their mentors whatsoever". Enter Lobdell, and Bar-Tor.

"Hey, we need someone who is not embarrassed to write this Ric Grayson bullshit". Enter Lobdell again.

Unless this mini is actually a prize to him for a job well done pushing the company's crap, I expect this to be yet another bland, character-destroying mandated book.

Further, rumors were that this book was to be announced at SDCC,right? Yet it's announcement comes in an uneventful Wednesday. Written by a so-so, yes-man writer. I can only think that they had to rush the announcement out because of HiC's reception, and that they had to put Lobdell in it because he was the only one who'd say "yes" fast enough to both doing the book and writing whatever editorial wanted in it.

This is BS, and fixes nothing.

PS: As always, I'd be happy to eat crow. (Which has been happening less and less)

PPS: Bored, when you're back from vacation, do not try to make me see the positive side.(I hope your vacation was good. o/ )
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Brett Booth and Scott Lobdell?! DC couldn't find a worse creative team. Wally is my favourite superhero but I strongly dislike the work of both these creators. I just don't know if I want to read another godawful Wally West comic.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    He sure can be.

But Lobdell is also the go-to to man for when a mandate is in place and is not to be questioned.

"Hey, we need all these Teen Titans to have no relationship with their mentors whatsoever". Enter Lobdell, and Bar-Tor.

"Hey, we need someone who is not embarrassed to write this Ric Grayson bullshit". Enter Lobdell again.

Unless this mini is actually a prize to him for a job well done pushing the company's crap, I expect this to be yet another bland, character-destroying mandated book.

Further, rumors were that this book was to be announced at SDCC,right? Yet it's announcement comes in an uneventful Wednesday. Written by a so-so, yes-man writer. I can only think that they had to rush the announcement out because of HiC's reception, and that they had to put Lobdell in it because he was the only one who'd say "yes" fast enough to both doing the book and writing whatever editorial wanted in it.

This is BS, and fixes nothing.

PS: As always, I'd be happy to eat crow. (Which has been happening less and less)

PPS: Bored, when you're back from vacation, do not try to make me see the positive side.(I hope your vacation was good. o/ )
    All of this. There's a story I heard that said that Lobdell first became a comic book writer because he was the only guy who was willing to write a whole issue in two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Lobdell is not equipped for this. I don't understand how he keeps failing up.
    Being good friends with DC's editor in chief gets you places...