Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Phoenix Resurrection #3: Spoilers ahead

We open with the preview pages. Jean is piloting the space shuttle and relieving the moment she crashed into Jamaica Bay, only to wake up passed out on a grocery store floor. The Gateway lookalike says they called her boyfriend and Dr. Reyes. But Jean rushes out in a panic, ignoring their pleas for her to wait.

In the real world, a father and son are fishing in Jamaica Bay when suddenly a bunch of dead fish float to the top of the water. The water churns violently and a pillar of flame erupts from deep below. The father and son dive into the water and swim to safety as the flame continues to rise.

Back in Jean’s world, she’s running from the grocery store (which has the name Hammer Bay) and tries to start her car, but it doesn’t work. She’s beside herself as someone who looks kinda like Darwin asks if she’s ok.

Kitty is leading a team to Cockrum Hill Cemetery in New York, consisting of teen Cyclops, Old Man Logan, Old Beast, and Dani Moonstar. Kitty laments that the strange disturbances are increasing in frequency but are still over too quickly for them to do anything about them. Cyclops asks if it’s really what they think it is then maybe they just need to sit and wait. Beast says they should not. Most of their encounters with “it” have been pretty benign, but he prefers to get ahead of the cosmic bird before it figures out what it’s doing.

Dani asks why he keeps referring to this thing as “it” instead of “her,” because they all know where this is going. Beast has doubts, saying they lack evidence to say for sure, even if this was one of his closest friends.

Kitty tells them to shush as they have reached where they were headed: the gravesite of Jean Grey-Summers. Her casket has been dug up, opened, and emptied. Kitty says if they’re going to find it…or her, they need Cerebro. Beast says he can fix it, but they’ll still need a psychic to run it. Kitty mutters that she’ll find someone.

Jean is in an auto-repair shop while someone looks at her car. The mechanic says it’s not too serious. Jean calls him Mr. Patch as he comes into view, Logan with his signature eyepatch. Mr. Patch says that it’s just an old car and everything starts to breakdown eventually.

Jean feels deflated, asking him if he’s ever felt like things are going wrong and they’re just going to keep getting worse. He says no and that she needs to relax as it’s just a car.

Patch: You want my advice?
    Jean: Not really.
    Patch: A stiff drink or a stiff man. That’ll cure your bad day. I can help—

Jean cries for him to stop and telekinetically throws him away, piercing him with a screwdriver in the process. Immediately she moves to help him, trying to figure out what she did. Patch says it was just an earthquake. Jean says he’s hurt, but as soon as Patch pulls the screwdriver out his wound disappears. He says everything is just fine as Jean recoils in shock.

Kitty has a new team behind her as she made her way to London. OML is still there, but now she’s recruited Laura, Colossus, and Proudstar. A figure comments that Kitty brings an interesting group to war. Kitty says this is who she brings when she doesn’t know what she’s walking into. The figure comments that Kitty used to be such a polite and delicate little girl, but has blossomed into a real [censored]. She approves of the change.

Kitty cuts to the chase: Jean Grey is back. The figure is revealed as Emma Frost, who asserts she knew that already as she’s already seen the Phoenix. She doesn’t know where it is now and makes NO comment on what happened in JG #10 or anybody who was involved. In fact, she asks Kitty if they need Phoenix help why not go to Hope or Quentin or Rachel. Kitty asks if Emma would be willing to use Cerebro. Emma says that won’t be necessary.

Jean is in New Mexico. OML ask how she knows. Emma says that sometimes when she was being…intimate…with Scott his mind would wander and he’d think about her. And he would think of the time the spent on the plateau. Kitty doesn’t know what that means, but Emma says if that place meant anything to Jean like it did to Scott, that’s where she’ll be.

Night has fallen in Jean land as she’s walking home, being tailed by a female figure. It calls her name, saying she can’t run anymore even though Jean is trying. The figure is gaining on her as she makes it to her house and locks herself inside. The figure starts pounding on her door as Jean cries for it to leave her alone. But then she turns and finds her house engulfed in flames.

A vision of Jean in the green Phoenix form says hello. It’s time they talked.

A series of X-Jets lands on the plateau in New Mexico. Practically every X-Man who’s appeared in the story so far is there, but they find nothing. Still, Old Man Logan doesn’t feel right. Laura says he might be scared. He says maybe he is.

Figuring Emma played them for fools, Kitty says it’s time to go. Magik says to hold on. She can feel something there that’s compelling them to go. She swings her Soul Sword, and it reveals I giant orange barrier just off the side of the mesa, complete with an opening Magik created.

Bobby asks what they do now. Beast says they go in.

BANNED

So now we know that Jean actually IS alive and in the real world, not just in the WHR. Which means probably her entire world and the people in it are psychic projections.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    So now we know that Jean actually IS alive and in the real world, not just in the WHR. Which means probably her entire world and the people in it are psychic projections.
    Or constructs of some kind. It looks like that's a GIGANTIC Phoenix egg of some kind, so maybe the Phoenix really is doing all this.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Copied from Emma’s thread

That cant have been Emma in PR bc she was one of the telepaths taken out by the PF in JG #10. That issue was directly referenced meaning we got an imposter in Resurrection #3 or Rosenberg made a big continuity goof

spoilers:
    Kitty finds Emma in London....how the hell did she accomplish that? An initial guess is that she used Cerebro but they make it a point again to mention that they had no telepaths to use it which is why she sought Emma out
    end of spoilers

I suspect this Emma was a Phoenix creation, leading the X-Men to finding Jean.

BANNED

I wonder why they didn't drag Emma along or is she also a construct and in reality she is also captured alongwith the others or her memory has been erased in the flare. wonder if jeen and co are going to meet them in the psionic realm or wtever. 'Patch' getting to show up was a nice moment. The missing psionics teaming up with jean and jeen are ultimately going to stop the Phoenix no doubt.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Ugh the pacing on this. I feel issues 2 and 3 could easily have been made into a single one. This will read much better in a trade but I have a feeling it's one of those minis where everything is setup and the only meaningful stuff happens in the last issue.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    I suspect this Emma was a Phoenix creation, leading the X-Men to finding Jean.
    There was a reason that she didn't want to use Cerebro, and there was no way that she would've guessed to masterfully about where Elsewhere is.

Also, Rachel, Hope, Quentin and the Cuckoos are referenced as being taken out here, so it's not a continuity gaffe. Rosenberg knows Emma was taken out too.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Ugh the pacing on this. I feel issues 2 and 3 could easily have been made into a single one. This will read much better in a trade but I have a feeling it's one of those minis where everything is setup and the only meaningful stuff happens in the last issue.
    Pacing aside I'd say that this issue had some pretty significant stuff in it. The references to JG 10, the X-Men knowing where Emma is, them finding Elsewhere...
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think Jean in Jean's world is actually Teen Jean and the Jean in Green in the adult one....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I think Jean in Jean's world is actually Teen Jean and the Jean in Green in the adult one....
    I trying to figure out how that would work.
    First X-Lady

BANNED

Way too decompressed. The ending scene should have happened last issue.

This mini insist on just being horrible slow and horribly inconsistent with continuity with other books. Though I guess the latter is to be expected nowadays. this was surprisingly worse than 2 for me. But I will soldier on sincd we are finally getting somewhere.

Liked this better than 2, at least the pacing seemed "faster", but yeah, it's still kind of slow, but at least we got that ending.

Also, yeah that's probably not Emma. Emma was out of commission with the Cuckoos, Quentin and Hope, why would she be in London so quickly after that, casually drinking wine without even mentioning something like Jeen being incinerated by the Phoenix just a while ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Liked this better than 2, at least the pacing seemed "faster", but yeah, it's still kind of slow, but at least we got that ending.

Also, yeah that's probably not Emma. Emma was out of commission with the Cuckoos, Quentin and Hope, why would she be in London so quickly after that, casually drinking wine without even mentioning something like Jeen being incinerated by the Phoenix just a while ago?
    Not only that, Emma knows the threat the PF poses and wouldnt not warn the X-Men or offer her aid, after it took out the psychics. That would just seem too inconsistent

Sigh. I guess Dust, Rockslide, Pixie, Hellion, and Armor were just there for the kwik bux. Still holding out for that electric!blue-haired cameo queen to make an appearance. Great issue tho!!!

I think the Jean-in-Green is just the Phoenix. I think Ghost Jean and Diner Jean will probably merge at some point either in this mini or JG #11. And the Emma appearance wasn't all that bad like I was expecting from the wording. Actually, Kitty being the nicest one to Emma was nice. Surprise casual!Dani is best Dani.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    This mini insist on just being horrible slow and horribly inconsistent with continuity with other books. Though I guess the latter is to be expected nowadays. this was surprisingly worse than 2 for me. But I will soldier on sincd we are finally getting somewhere.
    In other books? Seriously? It was one issue and Rosenberg & Hopeless said it will all make sense in the end.