Page 299 of 357 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 5343
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    They have come very close, but no, not that I know of. T+ rating, it's kind of like PG13, right?
    Mostly, but they do have mature books, like NYX, in which Laura Kinney makes her first appearance. As a child prostitute. So it wouldn’t surprise me if at some point they’d done that.

They have come very close, but no, not that I know of. T+ rating, it's kind of like PG13, right?
    They have had topless women in the Marvel MAX line, which was intended as their adult line. I believe that is as explicit as they got.

e.g. VERY NSFW link to scans-daily: topless women in Supreme Power

DC, though, has had full nudity in their Vertigo line (e.g. Sandman) and Watchmen.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 07-03-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I don't agree. Comedy is as valid a mode of storytelling as tragedy, and it's the form that classically involves a wedding rather than a death. My sense is that Gambit and Rogue's story has been too much about tragedy for the past few years, and needs to focus more on comedy in order to restore its balance. When we're dealing with comics narratives, we're never dealing with a single arc. We're dealing with all the many, many arcs that came before it, which have been weighted heavily towards angst and drama and sadness. Before the R&G miniseries, what was the last genuinely, primarily happy Gambit and Rogue story? Valle Soleada? For me, having balance means having that fun and lightness, at least for a few years. Let them have their honeymoon.
    I agree some what with both your and donpricetag's points. I don't want an angst ridden romance, but there are challenges to married life that do cause some conflict. I recently started watching The Colony on netflix, one thing I like about it is the main characters are a married couple with kids. They have a solid relationship, but are keeping secrets from each other trying to protect each other and their kids in their own way. When their secrets come to light they cause some conflict but it doesn't drive the couple apart, they deal with the hurt, lack of trust and then solider on together to again protect each other and their kids. Their relationship is never in doubt, their feelings for each other are never in doubt. The driving force of conflict is outside forces, that cause some tension in their relationship without angst and off again on again romance that seems to be popular, or at least was, in romantic fiction....don't get me started on some fan fiction, and fan fiction turned novels/movies...
    Last edited by MikaelNovasun; 07-03-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I don't agree. Comedy is as valid a mode of storytelling as tragedy, and it's the form that classically involves a wedding rather than a death. My sense is that Gambit and Rogue's story has been too much about tragedy for the past few years, and needs to focus more on comedy in order to restore its balance. When we're dealing with comics narratives, we're never dealing with a single arc. We're dealing with all the many, many arcs that came before it, which have been weighted heavily towards angst and drama and sadness. Before the R&G miniseries, what was the last genuinely, primarily happy Gambit and Rogue story? Valle Soleada? For me, having balance means having that fun and lightness, at least for a few years. Let them have their honeymoon.
    Comedy? Oh... Uhm I think your going to extremes here. I'm not implying that this or anything should be some sort of souless, depressing drag through darkness. Again, KT has never written such a thing. It's like your saying it has to be Necropolis or a Christmas Special. I'm advocating a future subplot within a story. And it's funny you say "let them have their honeymoon", honeymoon's don't last forever. And if it did, this will be fanfiction... Have you read any of KTs other work or are you so enthusiastic about the reality of this book that you think it's just going to be them yucking it up and bouncing around quiping 24/7. She stays relativity on the lighter side but hardly afraid of getting real. I think wanting them to not have any trials and tribulations is unrealistic and naive. When two people choose to share their lives, they will eventually clash, and believe it or not, the world doesn't care about your wishes. Sometimes things don't always go according to plan. Did you read any of her Hawkeye? It had its fair share of comedy and quips but it doesn't just ignore how the world works.

Heck look at the small speech Rogue gave Gambit in R&G #3. Did you consider that a "happy" moment? In anything, outside of a pure slapstick comedy there these things called "beats". If your in any X-Men book and don't want to handle the hard parts, even within some as jovial as post nuptial bliss, from what I know of KTs style, you might disappointed. I'm not asking for doom and gloom, no, I'm expecting a story with beats; action, drama, comedy etc. Some of you seem to want only certain things, and I don't understand that. I'm not so dimentionally limited. I'm not even sure that's a word...
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

So, what do you figure are the odds that we'll see ANY Gambit or Rogue in Gold #30? I mean they are mentioning Honeymoon, but . . . I'm guessing 20% chance.

How to you think X-Men: Red will work with Mr.and Mrs. X? Will Red be a more discrete, 1 time event rather than an official ongoing team like AXM 1-12 was?

So, what do you figure are the odds that we'll see ANY Gambit or Rogue in Gold #30? I mean they are mentioning Honeymoon, but . . . I'm guessing 20% chance.

How to you think X-Men: Red will work with Mr.and Mrs. X? Will Red be a more discrete, 1 time event rather than an official ongoing team like AXM 1-12 was?
    We will probably get a passing mention in Gold 31 about the couple leaving for their honeymoon. As for Red, I believe it is currently behind Gold and the Rogue&Gambit mini-series in terms of the time line. I think Red will conclude its Cassandra Nova arc before "catching up" to the rest of the X-books.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelNovasun View Post
    We will probably get a passing mention in Gold 31 about the couple leaving for their honeymoon. As for Red, I believe it is currently behind Gold and the Rogue&Gambit mini-series in terms of the time line. I think Red will conclude its Cassandra Nova arc before "catching up" to the rest of the X-books.
    Yes. KT told that RED is in future.

The current arc of Red that Gambit is appearing in takes place "two months" in the past. That was revealed in the first issue and gave Taylor lee-way to do what he wants and not have to worry about the other books bc Jean's return was rushed

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The current arc of Red that Gambit is appearing in takes place "two months" in the past. That was revealed in the first issue and gave Taylor lee-way to do what he wants and not have to worry about the other books bc Jean's return was rushed
    Two months in the past from what? From second arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Two months in the past from what? From second arc?
    from where the series opened up. It was left to be ambigious in relation to the other books. Gambit wasnt in the opening scene that presumably takes place in present day. That gives an opening for him to be on his honeymoon

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Comedy? Oh... Uhm I think your going to extremes here. I'm not implying that this or anything should be some sort of souless, depressing drag through darkness. Again, KT has never written such a thing. It's like your saying it has to be Necropolis or a Christmas Special. I'm advocating a future subplot within a story. And it's funny you say "let them have their honeymoon", honeymoon's don't last forever. And if it did, this will be fanfiction... Have you read any of KTs other work or are you so enthusiastic about the reality of this book that you think it's just going to be them yucking it up and bouncing around quiping 24/7. She stays relativity on the lighter side but hardly afraid of getting real. I think wanting them to not have any trials and tribulations is unrealistic and naive. When two people choose to share their lives, they will eventually clash, and believe it or not, the world doesn't care about your wishes. Sometimes things don't always go according to plan. Did you read any of her Hawkeye? It had its fair share of comedy and quips but it doesn't just ignore how the world works.

Heck look at the small speech Rogue gave Gambit in R&G #3. Did you consider that a "happy" moment? In anything, outside of a pure slapstick comedy there these things called "beats". If your in any X-Men book and don't want to handle the hard parts, even within some as jovial as post nuptial bliss, from what I know of KTs style, you might disappointed. I'm not asking for doom and gloom, no, I'm expecting a story with beats; action, drama, comedy etc. Some of you seem to want only certain things, and I don't understand that. I'm not so dimentionally limited. I'm not even sure that's a word...
    I'm going to let this conversation drop, because I think we're talking at cross purposes. I suspect that we actually want a similar kind of book, but are articulating it in different ways. My initial point was simply that, for the love of God, I am sick to death about Gambit and Rogue angsting about their relationship, and I want Marvel to minimize that. I think it's killed them as a couple in the past, and would be antithetical to selling the book to a wider audience. If that means they err in the direction of it being too fluffy and cute for a while, I am okay with that!

I'm also getting a little irritated by your assumptions that (1) I somehow don't understand basic narrative structure or story beats just because I have a different conception of what would make the book successful, or that (2) I don't understand how marriage works when my own is almost always chill, drama-free and happy. This is a nice, happy thread at the moment, and, consistent with my philosophy, I kinda want to keep it that way.

And I've read a bunch of KT's work. I read her work before she started at Marvel. I've read her damn novel.

Cool

So many weird little things make sense now. Like bringing Rogue and Gambit back to the Gold team in the first place. If you didn't read the mini, this would probably be out of left field. Oh God, this is bananas and I'm loving it more every minute. And how the hell will this tie into Red?! And now I have more thoughts on those Extermination kiddos. Oh man, snowballing . . . I can't wait to see the shenanigans Kelly will have in store for them!
    First post (obviously) but I joined this forum after the excitement of the last week. I'm not really sure why I never did before.

I am an avid 90’s ROMY fan (yes I purposely selected this cheesy username) and after many years of not having bought any comic books due to growing bitter over the Gambit and Rogue storylines (or lack of) I could have never guessed we would be where we are today.

I wound up at a comic book store on Friday the 22nd (by sheer happenstance! I was at our friends tattoo shop with my husband next door to one). I only walked in because there was a cat inside of the comic book store and I figured why not take a look at X-Men titles and see if I could find any books with Gambit and Rogue in them… I found the Wedding special issue #1 and X-Men Gold issue #30. I flipped through the pages of #30 and could not believe my eyes when I got to the last pages. I went absolutely numb. I bought the two issues and read them that night. In the morning it still hadn’t hit me. I read them over. It took me a full day of “what just happened!?” to realize I missed th R&G Mini by Kelly Thompson. I picked up the series the very next day as well as the polybag Gold issue #30 with R&G on the cover. I have been in a strange euphoric stage since finding all of this out. I think KT and did an amazing job with their story and I cannot believe this has finally happened!

I wish I had kept up with X-Men this year as it would have been sweet to have read the Mini before Gold #30. However, it was pretty awesome I got to buy all 5 issues at once without having to wait each month. I get to do that with the highly anticipated M&MX series though. I love Kelly's work (who has become my hero over night) and her handling of these 2. I can't wait to see what is in store.

Somehow the R&G Mini has made up for the 25 years of heartbreak. I truly couldn't have predicted we would see this day.

I have been having a blast reading this thread from the start (I know there was a reset which is good otherwise I would have a hard time keeping up) and I have been loving reading the comments from 4 years ago. The marriage wishes! Oh man, this is all too good!

Anyway please forgive my lame username, the name is "B" (er, initial) and it's good to be here.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

There's like a 90% chance I'm going to go pick up a copy of 30.
    Should I get a variant cover, or stick with the original?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I’m particularly a fan of the Rogue And Gambit cover. Totally worth the extra $ IMO.
    I also like the original though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Why not both?! LOL God, that sneaky Noto cover now makes SO much more sense.