Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    My point is that so called 'traditional audiences' have clearly shown a willingness to be open minded when it comes to the protagonists of their movies, regardless of the hates/@$$holes out there. They enjoy new material and new forms of protagonists, since action movies usually have to pigeon hole their characters for the sake of internal logic

BoP brought nothing new or original to the game. I guess relying on the most popular character of a critically panned movie isn't a recipe for success. Who knew?
    Wonder Woman would have been far less commercially successful if it hadn't managed to reach women so well from its second week onwards. Black Panther likewise overperformed very strongly amongst African-Americans.

And BoP brought nothing new or original? It was far more original than any of the superhero movies that I've seen, between the (unreliable) narrative voiceover, the way the plot was condensed in time, the all-female cast, the way it was shown out-of-order, and the way it was ready to show its characters at their worst. Was it a perfect movie? No. But it was far more interesting to watch than nearly every other superhero movie I've seen to date.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Wonder Woman would have been far less commercially successful if it hadn't managed to reach women so well from its second week onwards. Black Panther likewise overperformed very strongly amongst African-Americans.

And BoP brought nothing new or original? It was far more original than any of the superhero movies that I've seen, between the (unreliable) narrative voiceover, the way the plot was condensed in time, the all-female cast, the way it was shown out-of-order, and the way it was ready to show its characters at their worst. Was it a perfect movie? No. But it was far more interesting to watch than nearly every other superhero movie I've seen to date.
    Yeah, that’s what places it as my favourite DCEU movie yet, though it was clearly not perfect. It’ll be interesting to see I how it does against Shazam!, WW and Aquaman for rewatch value, where for each I came out of the cinema thinking it was better than expected, but then lost interest in ever seeing them again the more time passed.

Also, pretty sure the unfortunate connection to the monumentally dreadful Suicide Squad killed any chance this film might have had at the box office. They needed to reassure audiences that they wouldn’t be hurt again, but the marketing material didn’t really do that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Yeah, that’s what places it as my favourite DCEU movie yet, though it was clearly not perfect. It’ll be interesting to see I how it does against Shazam!, WW and Aquaman for rewatch value, where for each I came out of the cinema thinking it was better than expected, but then lost interest in ever seeing them again the more time passed.

Also, pretty sure the unfortunate connection to the monumentally dreadful Suicide Squad killed any chance this film might have had at the box office. They needed to reassure audiences that they wouldn’t be hurt again, but the marketing material didn’t really do that.
    Once Gunn's Suicide Squad is released that should go away, DCEU's so close to severing all ties from the Snyder-verse.

Dismiss? I only noted that it (Wonder Woman) didn't face any organised smear campaigns (well, not much more than other superhero movies face).

You are correct in that Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel had commercial and critical success. But Birds of Prey also had critical success—among the people who have actually seen it, it's generally well-received. But I also think that Marvel's inherent good reputation, and a marketing campaign that leaned back against the altrighters and neofascists, helped Black Panther and Captain Marvel to bully through the smear campaigns to commercial success. Birds of Prey failed at that.

Frankly, I have trouble to understanding what your point in (granted, my own point was split over two different posts).
    Because Wonder Woman doesn't have any WOKE agenda. The theme was about both sides of humanity. Black Panther didn't go "white ppl are all bad" as well.

Ppl don't hate heroines or black superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Sure and the rest had Nothing to do with it. So by your "logic" they could have shown Halle Berry as Catwoman at the end of Infinity War and it would have made a Billion Dollars.

Nice try as you are fond to say
    It is the major factor, it's not a terrible movie like Catwoman but a bad one. I have explained the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The whole "woke" thing is pretty off base at this point. It's far more in use among the "new right" then those that originated it.

It's a word that was popularized in the black community about 5-6 years ago which they don't even use again. It's white guys constantly complaining on YouTube and Donald Trump's re-election campaign that still use it (bizarrely enough).

The way its being almost entirely out of its original context is a bit silly at this point.
    Not really, a lot of these ppl are black/female/Trump haters.

Just go look at what do they say and understand their point.

Wonder Woman is successful in the overall audience, Black Panther didn't push white viewers aside. Difference here.

Ppl don't hate to see female heroine, ppl don't hate to see black heroes.

Ppl hate to see movie that pushes too hard on political agenda to lecture ppl, especially when they try to demonize one group and make the other pure innocent/purely good. Or make unnecessary changes to existing character to fit the agenda. Along with bad character development.

As much as I don't like Captain Marvel, it's not really woke, just bland on characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Because Wonder Woman doesn't have any WOKE agenda. The theme was about both sides of humanity. Black Panther didn't go "white ppl are all bad" as well.

Wonder Woman didn't have a woke agenda?

I think it did. Its agenda was that females don't need men to be successful or badass. They don't have to depend on a man to do what they want. They are just as smart or more.

Personally, and as a woman, this movie (BoP) was fine, but it didn't wow me. I don't like Harley as a character much. She's funny, but she's also annoying. She confuses me a lot; DC wants me to root for a criminal, but I really can't, because she's not willing to really change and be a better person for good. She's very toxic. I guess some love that kind of character, but I don't.

Astonishing Member

Wonder Woman was waaaay more "WOKE" than BOP. There were several scenes with her ignoring male patriarchy and then doing their own thing.

Black Panther didn't go "White People was bad", but the theme of black people being oppressed by white people was a *major* theme of the movie. It was all about how you had this rich, powerful African nation who was doing nothing while it's people were being enslaved and discriminated against. It handled it very well though and I think it's themes was one reason why it got the Oscar Nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Wonder Woman didn't have a woke agenda?

I think it did. Its agenda was that females don't need men to be successful or badass. They don't have to depend on a man to do what they want. They are just as smart or more.

This is not a woke agenda. Besides, Diana needed Steve in every way imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Wait, this was actually kind of good. How come garbage like Aquaman can make a billion dollars (based on the good will of not being as bad as Justice Club), but no one will come out for a DC film with some decent action, sense of fun, and no stupid end battle against a rubbish CGI villain?
    Aquaman didn't have decent action, because it had amazing action. Aquaman was an EPIC action-fantasy movie. I liked BoP, but compared to Aquaman it feels so small.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    This is not a woke agenda. Besides, Diana needed Steve in every way imaginable.
    of course it's a woke and very feminist agenda.

Sure, Steve was very helpful. At least men were not all a-holes in this movie like in BoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    This is not a woke agenda.
    Define "woke."

Woke and SJW are to the right what screaming Nazi is to the left. It means nothing anymore except someone doesn't like anything they perceive as left or progressive no matter how big or little it is.