Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Harley Quinn is never a serious character, she became popular because of her dark comedic style plus some sexual attraction.

Even though her origin had some potential, it was not really developed other than a few independent comic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    20 years? Well being how I'm 43, I think I have you a bit beat there.

As for my definition, I'll let you see how Webster's defines it:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Lastly, yes we were happy to see ourselves onscreen. We were also very happy to see a film that spoke to racial/social issues of black people (specifically African-Americans," which perfectly fits the above definition of "woke.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, thanks.
    Please, look Clyde, that term is OLD, I'm 44 hence I've been cognizant of the term since the 90s. I know what it means too, withought following a goddamned link to Merriam-Webster. I knew what it was before they did. I know and realize it's not an all-encompassing term just because whatever you want to pin the **** on something speaking to black experience. Or that the mere instance of an issue or two in the larger context of a movie largely starring black folks. That's not how it works. You don't boil down something that big under an over simplistic label like that.

By that train of thought it's merely a 'Black' movie then. Only actual thing that movie spoke to was selling action figures and T-Shirts using Marvel IP. A subtext to a part of a films screenplay does not make the film deserving of some blanket label. By that goofy ass logic Coming to America was woke because it had overtones of the relationships and incongruence between African-American's and Africans right? Conbread and Earl was 'woke', right? Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was SUPERWOKE according you then right?

Being awake is a subset of thought, an awareness, just like 'a Plantation mentality' is a subset of thought. Being awake was a reaction to the decades worth of minimization over the history of black people in America. Martin Luther King wasn't the only Black historical figure contrary to most of what was taught in the history of our public schools. I know what I'm talking about, so no thanks.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Please, look Clyde, that term is OLD, I'm 44 hence I've been cognizant of the term since the 90s. I know what it means too, withought following a goddamned link to Merriam-Webster. I knew what it was before they did. I know and realize it's not an all-encompassing term just because whatever you want to pin the **** on something speaking to black experience. Or that the mere instance of an issue or two in the larger context of a movie largely starring black folks. That's not how it works. You don't boil down something that big under an over simplistic label like that.

By that train of thought it's merely a 'Black' movie then. Only actual thing that movie spoke to was selling action figures and T-Shirts using Marvel IP. A subtext to a part of a films screenplay does not make the film deserving of some blanket label. By that goofy ass logic Coming to America was woke because it had overtones of the relationships and incongruence between African-American's and Africans right? Conbread and Earl was 'woke', right? Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was SUPERWOKE according you then right?

Being awake is a subset of thought, an awareness, just like 'a Plantation mentality' is a subset of thought. Being awake was a reaction to the decades worth of minimization over the history of black people in America. Martin Luther King wasn't the only Black historical figure contrary to most of what was taught in the history of our public schools. I know what I'm talking about, so no thanks.
    Look, I personally think the term is stupid. Regardless of what I think of it, however, it would apply to Black Panther, period.

The rest of your rant is kind of meaningless in this context, though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Not really, a lot of these ppl are black/female/Trump haters.

Just go look at what do they say and understand their point.
    I’m a person of color. The word woke isn’t really in use as it was some years back.

It was used in a certain context a while back.

It’s more of the white guys on YouTube attacking agendas that use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I’m a person of color. The word woke isn’t really in use as it was some years back.

It was used in a certain context a while back.

It’s more of the white guys on YouTube attacking agendas that use it.
    Not really, many of them are not white. Ppl don't like movies with such agenda that demonized certain group and make the other all good, also make changes of the source material.

Ultimate Member

Not really, many of them are not white. Ppl don't like movies with such agenda that demonized certain group and make the other all good, also make changes of the source material.
    Changes to the source material is a valid complaint.

But I don’t understand the woke thing because it doesn’t apply here. Even if it was woke, being woke is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Look, I personally think the term is stupid. Regardless of what I think of it, however, it would apply to Black Panther, period.

The rest of your rant is kind of meaningless in this context, though.
    Fan of the commas are yuh, sweet. You personally thinking the term is stupid from what you said previous now appears to be different,,,,, though.

What other movies you keep in the tuck that are so stupidly 'woke' then, I just might need some context down the line.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Fan of the commas are yuh, sweet. You personally thinking the term is stupid from what you said previous now appears to be different,,,,, though.

What other movies you keep in the tuck that are so stupidly 'woke' then, I just might need some context down the line.
    You seem like you're just trying to pick an argument, for some reason? Anyways, I never claimed to like the term so not sure where you're getting that from?

Your second question/statement doesn't seem to make much sense though.

Changes to the source material is a valid complaint.

But I don’t understand the woke thing because it doesn’t apply here. Even if it was woke, being woke is never a bad thing.
    Of course it's bad.

Demonize a certain group is not objective, and offensive to the group of audience. It's also very likely to make the characters very bland/shallow because of such theme. The changes were also made for such purpose.

A person is good because he/she is good, not because his/her gender/sexuality/race.

An interesting discussion on the tactility of the movie, and especially its fight scenes, that I found over on Youtube (it's not all a festering hellhole over there):

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Of course it's bad.

Demonize a certain group is not objective, and offensive to the group of audience. It's also very likely to make the characters very bland/shallow because of such theme. The changes were also made for such purpose.

A person is good because he/she is good, not because his/her gender/sexuality/race.
    What did woke classic Birth Of A Nation change from the source material?

Ultimate Member

Of course it's bad.

Wokeness has nothing to do with demonizing anyone.

Who did this movie demonize? I hope this isn’t some men’s rights stuff....those guys sound fragile AF.

Who did this movie demonize? I hope this isn’t some men’s rights stuff....those guys sound fragile AF.
    I've seen complaints that all the men in the film were D-Bags. But these complaints also come from the type of people who complained because Harley the protagonist blew up Ace Chemicals hence probably poisoning hundreds if not thousands of Gothamites and thus she's really is an awful character. They conveniently ignore that in 1989 Batman blew up Axis Chemicals but that was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    What did woke classic Birth Of A Nation change from the source material?
    I didn't say every one of it has to change.

Birth of A Nation's source material is sick enough.

Nearly no male characters are good, all of them are shallow negative images and the cause of the female character's misfortune.

Of course it has, wokeness pretty much demonize the opposite group into either useless comic relief or bad guys.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 03-10-2020 at 03:44 PM.