Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Default One Shot Wonders....

Marvel does a really much better job at giving various characters an opportunity to headline a series. Sometimes it is 5 issues long and sometimes it 35, but one of the things that has always been curious to me is the characters that get multiple attempts over those who get just one or two. Now dont get me wrong, I love the fact that Jessica Drew Spider-Woman is getting another shot at a series (just wish they would leave her costume alone.) But what makes her more likely to get another over say Mockingbird? Patsy Walker/Hellcat has had 2 minis and a series lasting about 18 issues I think? How many has She-Hulk had?
    Obviously characters like Captain America, Thor, Ironman, Doctor Strange will always have something running...but why Hawkeye over Wonder Man? Now the obvious reasoning is the Hollywood factor, but surely there's some interest in other characters that Marvel could exploit.
    Who are some of your favorite characters who HAVE HAD a series in the past that you would like to see get anther shot or three?
    Wonder Man, Mockingbird and Hellcat are three characters that I would like to see get shots at another series. I'm always up for a Ka-Zar and Shanna series.

Falcon hasnt had good luck when it comes to his series titles. I loved the one they put out in 2017 but ot only lasted 8 issues. I know he has one with Winter Solider coming out but I would like to see him get a solo. Since he was featured pretty well in the movies I think he is due.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

I would have no interest in any of the characters you mention. None. They simply aren't interesting on their own (and some at all for any reason). As it is I'm terribly selective when it comes to solo runs, with the usual big names and occasionally Spider-Woman or whatever Carol is calling herself. Nova has been good too. Very few characters on their own are compelling reads because as heroes they usually don't want to be, or they aren't significant.

Under the right team, any character can have a good run (short or long) run.
    And I’m all for it!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Marvel does a really much better job at giving various characters an opportunity to headline a series. Sometimes it is 5 issues long and sometimes it 35, but one of the things that has always been curious to me is the characters that get multiple attempts over those who get just one or two. Now dont get me wrong, I love the fact that Jessica Drew Spider-Woman is getting another shot at a series (just wish they would leave her costume alone.) But what makes her more likely to get another over say Mockingbird? Patsy Walker/Hellcat has had 2 minis and a series lasting about 18 issues I think? How many has She-Hulk had?
    Obviously characters like Captain America, Thor, Ironman, Doctor Strange will always have something running...but why Hawkeye over Wonder Man? Now the obvious reasoning is the Hollywood factor, but surely there's some interest in other characters that Marvel could exploit.
    Who are some of your favorite characters who HAVE HAD a series in the past that you would like to see get anther shot or three?
    Wonder Man, Mockingbird and Hellcat are three characters that I would like to see get shots at another series. I'm always up for a Ka-Zar and Shanna series.
    THIS!

We were just talking about this in his thread. Namor hasn't had a solo title or mini-series in a freaking DECADE. Meanwhile, other characters get multiple chances with books in the past ten years. Editorial is clearing playing favorites. Yes, there's a Hollywood factor, but some of that, especially in the beginning, was Marvel pushing those favorites in the MCU / animation.

Marvel didn't even do anything to celebrate their oldest character for his 75th or 80th anniversary. At least for the 70th anniversary he got a one-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    And I’m all for it!
    I agree with this also. The problem is editorial has to be willing to do so.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    THIS!
    Marvel didn't even do anything to celebrate their oldest character for his 75th or 80th anniversary. At least for the 70th anniversary he got a one-shot.
    I think this is a huge missed opportunity and a slap in the face to his many fans. A one shot book would have sold like crazy. Even a mini would have done well.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I know sometimes it comes down to copywrite use, they need to do something with the character.

But I agree with the why is this guy getting another solo when this character over here is not used.
    There may be a few factors
    1) Writers may want to write certain characters. If A list writer wants to write a solo Hawkeye, then Marvel gives him a solo Hawkeye and is excited by that.
    2) I think Marvel marketing does a poor job of making the character integral to get a solo comic. Black Knight is a good example. I'm a big fan, I love the character. he got a new solo series a few years back and my initial thought, "Why?" He hadn't been used in anything for a few years. We should have started with a guest star role in Avengers for a few issues and then led into his solo.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Mighty Member

THIS!

We were just talking about this in his thread. Namor hasn't had a solo title or mini-series in a freaking DECADE. Meanwhile, other characters get multiple chances with books in the past ten years. Editorial is clearing playing favorites. Yes, there's a Hollywood factor, but some of that, especially in the beginning, was Marvel pushing those favorites in the MCU / animation.

Namor has been constantly appearing in Avengers, X-Men, Invaders, and now Atlantis Attacks, not to mention various Defenders related items. This is all in the last year. He's also overdue for a guest spot in FF. Heck he even had a guest appearance in Immortal Hulk a couple months ago. I don't think Namor is someone who needs a solo right now.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Namor has been constantly appearing in Avengers, X-Men, Invaders, and now Atlantis Attacks, not to mention various Defenders related items. This is all in the last year. He's also overdue for a guest spot in FF. Heck he even had a guest appearance in Immortal Hulk a couple months ago. I don't think Namor is someone who needs a solo right now.
    Showing up in other peoples books is ot the same as having a solo. In the team books there is not a lot of room for development as they are so many characters to fit on a limited number of pages. I would love to see him get a solo.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I didnt mean for this to turn into a critique of why one thought a character should not have a series but an opportunity for fans of characters who have had one before to Express why they would like to see that character get another.
    We all have character we dont care about...that's not what this us for please.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    And I’m all for it!
    I agree with this. Top talent will likely get the nod over anyone else, so that in part determines who gets a series. It's an easy sell to editors and higher ups. I suspect there is a small window for other solo books in the absence of fans storming Marvel HQ and demanding a title en masse. Marvel continues to takes chances on new material and new talent, but nothing drives their decisions like fan interest and A List talent.

Getting back to the point of this thread, Blue Marvel hasn't had a solo series since 2008 -- his introductory series. He deserves a second series, primarily because most of the writers that have used him recently have not done a very good job of nailing down his character. There have been everything from inconsistencies to outright character nullification. We've gone from a hero who was THE primary independent alpha hero of his era to one who can't seem to do anything without help. A character so powerful that an entire team of Avengers WITH Sentry struggled to take him down, but Silver Sable has no problems easily bodily slamming him. And despite his history of betrayals and razor keen intellect, he comes across as a happily unassuming, doddering Black man, instead of someone that is Bruce Wayne-esque in his distrust of others and preparation of adverse situations. He's been on this planet for almost a century, with technology to monitor and analyze every villain, hero and event, yet when he's depicted in comics he's written about as green as they come. A new solo series with the right creative team is needed to course correct this character before it's too late. Oh, and for any writers out there who happen to be reading this, it's this simple: take Martian Manhunter, add in Batman, throw in a dash of proactive moral courage and stoic conviction, wrap that in a smooth, uncompromising aura of "F--- with me at your own peril," and then launch. Blue Marvel is not a political creature, but what has been done to him is very political. He needs a new series.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Getting back to the point of this thread, Blue Marvel hasn't had a solo series since 2008 -- his introductory series. He deserves a second series, primarily because most of the writers that have used him recently have not done a very good job of nailing down his character. There have been everything from inconsistencies to outright character nullification. We've gone from a hero who was THE primary independent alpha hero of his era to one who can't seem to do anything without help. A character so powerful that an entire team of Avengers WITH Sentry struggled to take him down, but Silver Sable has no problems easily bodily slamming him. And despite his history of betrayals and razor keen intellect, he comes across as a happily unassuming, doddering Black man, instead of someone that is Bruce Wayne-esque in his distrust of others and preparation of adverse situations. He's been on this planet for almost a century, with technology to monitor and analyze every villain, hero and event, yet when he's depicted in comics he's written about as green as they come. A new solo series with the right creative team is needed to course correct this character before it's too late. Oh, and for any writers out there who happen to be reading this, it's this simple: take Martian Manhunter, add in Batman, throw in a dash of proactive moral courage and stoic conviction, wrap that in a smooth, uncompromising aura of "F--- with me at your own peril," and then launch. Blue Marvel is not a political creature, but what has been done to him is very political. He needs a new series.
    I have to disagree on partially with that. I mean, the whole premise of the character is political. Black Superman Batman amalgam who is 'depowered' by the racial politics of his era? How is that not political?

What's been done to him may be political, in part. But part of it is also that MU doesn't really deal well with Superman, or Batman, analogs. For myself, that's part of why I love Marvel and don't read much DC. I like flawed characters, not characters who can do everything. I don't care for Sentry or Hyperion either.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I have to disagree on partially with that. I mean, the whole premise of the character is political. Black Superman Batman amalgam who is 'depowered' by the racial politics of his era? How is that not political?

What's been done to him may be political, in part. But part of it is also that MU doesn't really deal well with Superman, or Batman, analogs. For myself, that's part of why I love Marvel and don't read much DC. I like flawed characters, not characters who can do everything. I don't care for Sentry or Hyperion either.
    My point is that Adam, the character, was not political. He wasn't a participant in the social protest movements of the '60s. On the contrary, his primary foe, Anti-Man, was the violent social protest agent. Adam was just a Black man who wanted to be a hero. Nevertheless, along comes the US government with its political agenda that crushes his dream.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My point is that Adam, the character, was not political. He wasn't a participant in the social protest movements of the '60s. On the contrary, his primary foe, Anti-Man, was the violent social protest agent. Adam was just a Black man who wanted to be a hero. Nevertheless, along comes the US government with its political agenda that crushes his dream.
    Well, I guess we have to disagree on what makes a political character.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think this is a huge missed opportunity and a slap in the face to his many fans. A one shot book would have sold like crazy. Even a mini would have done well.
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say the one-shot would have sold CRAZY. ;p

However, I just think Marvel looks ridiculous celebrating it's Timely anniversaries, while completely ignoring their longest running character who is even older than Marvel Comics #1. The reason Marvel gets to celebrate an 80th Anniversary is in part because of Namor. Yet, he doesn't get any line wide anniversary covers. He doesn't get a solo. He doesn't get a mini-series. He doesn't get a one-shot. He doesn't even get his own page in the freaking Marvel 1000 issue.