Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I've actually always felt that Power Girl would work great as a TV show. Not a CW show...more like HBO Max.

I've long had this somewhat Elseworld-ish idea of how to do a Power Girl adaptation - one that stays somewhat true to her origins while also letting her exist in a world without Superman.

Basically, in my story, both Kal-L and Kara's rocketships are launched from Krypton in the mid-1910's. However, unlike what happened in the comics, in this version, Kara's ship lands on earth first, around 1933, at which point she's already grown into a young adult. She's discovered and taken in by a kindly family in Kansas. She has no memories other than knowing that her name is 'Kara', being able to speak somewhat broken English, and having weird dreams of an alien world, alien landscapes, and a strangely garbed couple.

The first season of the show is set in 1938. Kara now goes by 'Karen Starr'. Over the past five years, she's been a quick learner - becoming highly adept at multiple languages, and mastering a bunch of disciplines. She even goes to college. She's basically adapted fully to a normal human life - but she's very much aware that she's not a normal human and is possibly of extraterrestrial origin. Then there's the fact that she's "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap buildings in a single bound...". Anyway, Karen goes to Metropolis where she ends up using her powers to avert a disaster, and slowly becomes a costumed vigilante - one who starts out helping vulnerable women, and who gradually becomes a hero to everyone and comes to be known as 'Power Girl'. The season will be a kind of remix of the Siegal/Shuster Superman stories (imagine PG taking on that wife-beater!) as well as the story of Kara slowly trying to piece together her alien origins from fragmented memories. I think the 'Big Bad' of the season should be Ultra-Humanite.

The second season would skip ahead to the 1950's, and we're now in alternate history territory a bit. In flashbacks, we get the backstory of the past decade - Power Girl changed the course of history by getting involved in WW2, and helping end it early. We get to see the actual impact of someone like Power Girl on world history, and how it gives the feminist movement in particular a massive early boost. Scientific research and technological development also takes a huge leap forward in this reality, and Karen Starr sets herself up as a pioneer in computing. We also get to see the JSA in WW2 flashbacks and some of them in the present-day story as well - since the war ended early, many of them were able to retire from superheroics and contribute to this technological development. As for the Big Bad, I'd go with Brainiac, who'd help solve some of the lingering mysteries about Kara's true origins and reveal that she has a cousin who's theoretically on his way to earth.

The third season would be set in the early 1970's, in an almost retro-futuristic earth that almost seems like a blend between the 1939 World's Fair and the 21st century as we know it. A major subplot for the season will be Kara's friendship and partnership with Helena Wayne AKA Huntress (with a few flashbacks to the 50's and 60's featuring Power Girl teaming up with Batman and Robin...because I think by this point the fan service will be warranted!) Kara also meets the mysterious Alexander Luthor, who seems to be a tech genius at first but later reveals he's a traveler from other dimensions. Kara gets involved with Alex and learns about the Multiverse and the notion that on other worlds, her mysterious cousin was the most powerful and influential hero instead of her - 'Superman'. Alex ostensibly helps Kara prepare to defend her earth against the threat of the Anti-Monitor, who destroyed his world, though it turns out later that he's the real villain of this story, and is trying to rewrite reality at the expense of Kara's world to bring back his world. Kara of course manages to beat him in the end.

The last scene of the last season will have a coda showing Kal-L's rocketship finally crash-landing on earth, with Kara ready to receive him...
    Hmmm that's not a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    What if you just toss her into our world plus a bunch of villains from other comic book worlds to fight? In other words, she fights in New York City and no Metropolis, of course once you release all those comic book creations it is no longer our World. I think the creatures and beings should come from a bunch of different worlds rather than a single one. For example you could have Godzilla, a bunch of tripod aliens from Mars, the invisible man, Frankenstein's monster, Freddy Krueger, the Alien from the Alien movies, some Klingons in a Klingon Cruiser, a D&D dragon, some mutants from a post-apocalyptic world, giant robots duking it out with swords, Darth Vader and an Imperial Star Destroyer and so forth.
    I ask again, what exactly do you like about Power Girl? Why do you want a movie with her?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I ask again, what exactly do you like about Power Girl? Why do you want a movie with her?
    She is less well known, actually I think of her as an extra supergirl with larger breasts, other than that, not much else.

She is less well known, actually I think of her as an extra supergirl with larger breasts, other than that, not much else.
    Those are terrible reasons to want a Power Girl film. You know absolutely nothing about her and you want her to have a film because she isn't very popular and she has large breasts. Wow.

Sure as you could get people interested in her. I got interested in Teen Titans through the cartoons, John Constantine through the movie/tv show etc. Its not foolproof but it can happen.

Plus DC might get mileage out of their lesser known characters. They are less stuck in amber and you would get less pearl clutching etc.

I first read Power Girl in Birds of Prey. I think Gail Simone wrote it and it was exploring her distrust of Oracle. So I always just saw her as an older version of Supergirl and would pitch from that angle.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly the reasons why her fans like her have been gone over and over again in the prior versions of this thread, and other places as well. They amount to the fact that she is not in fact just a version of Supergirl, but in personality and circumstance a very different character. I won't bore myself by repeating the details, but perhaps someone else will.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Honestly the reasons why her fans like her have been gone over and over again in the prior versions of this thread, and other places as well. They amount to the fact that she is not in fact just a version of Supergirl, but in personality and circumstance a very different character. I won't bore myself by repeating the details, but perhaps someone else will.
    Of course, but the person who started this thread doesn't actually know anything about her and is proposing things that don't help her in any way.

Spectacular Member

Of course, but the person who started this thread doesn't actually know anything about her and is proposing things that don't help her in any way.
    not that you have been summarizing those things either.

Spectacular Member

Those are terrible reasons to want a Power Girl film. You know absolutely nothing about her and you want her to have a film because she isn't very popular and she has large breasts. Wow.
    why not? The comic book artists drew her that way for a reason, they could have given her small breasts. Those breasts would seem in consequential by her enemies who have other things to do than stare at her breasts. From what I understand, she can do the same things Supergirl can do, Supergirl looks fine with the breasts she has, I don't know what larger breasts do for Powergirl. Seems like her costume is arranged to use them as a distraction device for males, maybe she can get in one extra punch at her enemies if they are staring at her breasts, Ibdon't know, you tell me. I just think, whoever originally drew her liked women with large breasts.

why not? The comic book artists drew her that way for a reason, they could have given her small breasts. Those breasts would seem in consequential by her enemies who have other things to do than stare at her breasts. From what I understand, she can do the same things Supergirl can do, Supergirl looks fine with the breasts she has, I don't know what larger breasts do for Powergirl. Seems like her costume is arranged to use them as a distraction device for males, maybe she can get in one extra punch at her enemies if they are staring at her breasts, Ibdon't know, you tell me. I just think, whoever originally drew her liked women with large breasts.
    Liking a character's look (or in this case just the breasts) and powers is not a good reason for wanting a solo movie about them because it tells you nothing about the personality, or the stories they tell, or the themes the explore, or the threats she faces, or the characters that surround her.

What the hell are you guys talking about? What does that have to do with the movie??

Extraordinary Member

Well, there is the legend that seems to have been true that Wally Wood drew her each issue with bigger breasts...to see if the editors noticed or commented. They didn't, or so goes the story, and so it went. It's been a distraction ever since, and hasn't helped the character IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What the hell are you guys talking about? What does that have to do with the movie??
    The dude wants a movie about the character but the only things he knows and likes about her is that she has the same pwoers as Supergirl and has big breasts. It's kinda funny

The dude wants a movie about the character but the only things he knows and likes about her is that she has the same pwoers as Supergirl and has big breasts. It's kinda funny
    That's just really weird. My reasons for PG not getting a movies aren't as weird as that haha

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Most cartoon fans say that Supergirl in the DC Superhero Girls show is Power Girl is all but name. Since she’s acts like Karen not Kara.