Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Holy ****, this movie was awesome. I don't think anyone could've predicted the two post credit scenes in their wildest dreams.

Also, the action was absolutely brilliant, which in all honesty, Homecoming was just a little underwhelming at. Mysterio sequences might just be the most creative and trippy in MCU after Dr. Strange. And that Spider-Sense sequence at the end, oooohhh!!! Just fangasmed.

On the downside though, I didn't like that it was yet another villain that was created because of Tony. And Happy and Aunt May dating didn't really add anything.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I see a little bit of the original 1960s take on Mary Jane in Zendaya's portrayal. Maybe not so much her later versions though. Her attitude just seems a lot closer to "party girl" MJ than Dunst's. Both Dunst and the video game MJ seemed more like girl next door types kind of like Ultimate MJ. Heck, I think even both Gwens felt a bit more like MJ (I remember when Emma Stone was first announced, everybody thought she was PERFECT casting for Mary Jane, but then she ended up being Gwen instead!)
    Yeah, the whole MJ thing is really strange. Zendaya is fantastic but the whole MJ-but-not-Mary-Jane thing is weird as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Holy ****, this movie was awesome. I don't think anyone could've predicted the two post credit scenes in their wildest dreams.

Also, the action was absolutely brilliant, which in all honesty, Homecoming was just a little underwhelming at. Mysterio sequences might just be the most creative and trippy in MCU after Dr. Strange. And that Spider-Sense sequence at the end, oooohhh!!! Just fangasmed.

On the downside though, I didn't like that it was yet another villain that was created because of Tony. And Happy and Aunt May dating didn't really add anything.
    Well, it gave us a pretty great running gag so there is that.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Fantastic Member

FFA Had the best villain of the MCU.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Saw the movie and, I know I'll be in the low minority but it was a meh movie for me. There were somethings I liked about it but ultimately I don't think it will be all that memorable to me.

It was better than Homecoming which is not really saying much bc I was not that big of a fan of Homecoming. And much like Homecoming only the villain left a decent impression.

Jake Gyllenhaal is superb, but he's a world class actor tho so I did not except anything less. He was charismatic as Quenten Beck, when on screen he was always the center of attention and when he was supposed to be threatening it really felt like it was a threat. I'm glad they chose him to play mysterio and I'm glad that they finally brought Mysterio to the big screen. He was always thought to be one of those villains that can't be adapted but he can be and there were moments in this movie that had some potential to be even more awesome.

There were two big Mysterio moments that I just absolutely loved and it really reminded me, in a good way of Batman Arkham Asylum. When thinking of this movie in the future those two moments will be what I think of.

What I didn't like: Pretty much everything else but there are three Big and Key things that just annoy me so I'll focus on those.

1. Once again Disney Comedy falls flat. There were moments in here that were supposed to be funny but it fell completely flat for me. I mean I might have chuckled the first time I heard the 'Peter Tingle' bit but they kept repeating it and then I was like okay come on. At the climax was really hoping Peter would say something along the lines of okay Spider-Sense do your thing.....but again he went with Peter tingle....ugh.

2. Once again the Tony Stark worship. I just do not like the fact that the angle that they went for with Tom Holland's Peter Parker was that he worships the very ground Tony Stark walks on. There's a difference between being a mentor and then sheer unadulterated hero worship. This Peter Parker reminds of Increda-kid or Increda-boy from the Incredibles. Jesus. Instead of focusing on being the next Iron Man he should have focused more on being a better Spider-Man, listening to himself instead of other. That's one of the things I love about Spider-Man he wasn't the side kick or the guy that had the mentorship. He had to rely on himself, and his own sense of morals to guide him through stuff.

I think in the first fight scene with the 'Elementals' after Beck shows up he's like hey guy I've never seen before what can I do to help. Like what the heck, jump in there and do something don't ask someone else or wait for someone else to tell you to help. Now that Tony is dead he's looking for someone to tell him what to do....still. I was hoping after homecoming and Infinity and Endgame he would be getting more confident in himself but that's not the case here.

3. Lastly, the biggest crime is that this movie does not take place in New York City. Last I checked Spider-Man was a New York City hero, we're two movies into the Holland era and there is barely any New York City set pieces to work with. In Homecoming the biggest action scene takes place in Washington DC and now in Far From home it's in Europe. Like what the heck man. This movie could have been so much better in New York. Beck trying to be the next Iron Man and he's starting in Stark's Home Town and not only Stark's Home town but the Avengers former place. The very last 2 minutes of the movie took place in NYC but that's 2mins too little. Just ugh. So annoying. Spider-Man does occasionally get wrapped up in situation that take him out of NYC but we've seen that in Infinity War and Endgame. so this movie should have stuck closer to home.

Tom Holland is great actor but so far he is my least favorite Spider-Man and that's purely bc of how the MCU is portraying him currently. He's more ultimate Spider-Man and ultimate Spider-Man is trash, IMO. Also he's terrible at keeping his identity secret. As it stands for me Spider-Man Far from home is towards the bottom of the Spider-Man movie list.

Spider-Man 2 is still the reigning champion of Spider-Man movies.
    Saw it today and I largely agree.

I was giving it a B at best until the after credits scenes. These were some of the most substantial, relevant after credits scenes we have gotten in a MCU movie. Some decent size cliffhangers.

My main gripe with this version of Peter parker is the over reliance on Stark Tech. It minimizes Peter's own genius and ingenuity. Tony is dead but he still dominated this film in terms of all tech started with him and everything Peter got was a gift from Tony. Hell even in his failure and getting duped by Mysterio its damn I failed Tony. It is super annoying for him to continue to be sidelined in development with Tony this Tony that. I don't like it.

It was cool seeing a new big Spidey Villian get a big screen showcase. I thought he worked for the most part.

Fantastic Member

If the Tony stuff continues in the next Spiderman movie...I'd agree.

But this is a 16 year old kid who just lost his mentor. He's just stepping into the role of being a hero in his own right. I think the reliance on Tony is natural and good story telling for where peter is at. I enjoyed seeing Peter at Tony's successor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

I was giving it a B at best until the after credits scenes. These were some of the most substantial, relevant after credits scenes we have gotten in a MCU movie. Some decent size cliffhangers.

My main gripe with this version of Peter parker is the over reliance on Stark Tech. It minimizes Peter's own genius and ingenuity. Tony is dead but he still dominated this film in terms of all tech started with him and everything Peter got was a gift from Tony. Hell even in his failure and getting duped by Mysterio its damn I failed Tony. It is super annoying for him to continue to be sidelined in development with Tony this Tony that. I don't like it.

It was cool seeing a new big Spidey Villian get a big screen showcase. I thought he worked for the most part.
    I agree. To some extent.

The fear of stepping into Tony's shoes has been laid to rest in this film by the time it finishes. Peter lost his mentor and was coming to terms with Tony's death. He felt by being given control of Edith by Tony, he was expected to somehow fill his shoes and live up to this impossible legacy. But Happy points out that there was only one Tony Stark. He also points out Tony was far from perfect. Tony never wanted Peter to take over for him. Homecoming spelled that by having Tony say to Peter that he wanted him to be "better" than him.

Peter now understands that all anyone wants is for him to be the best hero he can be. So, hopefully, any third entry doesn't need to go over that ground again. Which is my hope, anyway.

Just saw it with my son. We both loved it. The action was beautiful and I loved when Mysterio was getting in Peter's Head. Looks like some **** Scarecrow would do to Batman in a Arkham game. There were some jokes that made me role my eyes but I found the movie as awhole to be great. I need to see it again before I say I like it better then Homecoming. The CGI and beautiful action is way better then Homecoming but story wise iono yet. Mysterio was amazing but so was Vulture and I feel like the story as awhole outside the main villian might have been stronger in Homecoming.

I feel like the whole Skrull post credit scene served two purposes. Nick Furys operation on that ship will probaly play a big part in Captain Marvel 2 and I'm now thinking the sequel wont take place in the past but the present after that stinger. Also if they ever decide to have some evil Skrulls come in and do Secret Invasion they shown us how easy It would be for the Skrulls to trick people.

Also 100% agree JJJ was giving me Alex Jones vibes. The way he was talking and all the interdemionsal stuff, all the way down to Daily Bulge seeming like Info wars. I like JJJ to be a little more likable in certain circumstances so hopefuly they dont go full Alex Jones.

All in all I really enjoyed it. The end with Peter swinging through New York made me wish we got more of him in New York. Also wish we got more of Becks head games but yea hope Beck isnt really dead cause him and Keatons Vultire leading a sinister 6 would be amazing.

I really dont get how Becks Tech worked the way it did. But it's a comicbook movie saying its Holograms and drones works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    If the Tony stuff continues in the next Spiderman movie...I'd agree.

But this is a 16 year old kid who just lost his mentor. He's just stepping into the role of being a hero in his own right. I think the reliance on Tony is natural and good story telling for where peter is at. I enjoyed seeing Peter at Tony's successor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I agree. To some extent.

The fear of stepping into Tony's shoes has been laid to rest in this film by the time it finishes. Peter lost his mentor and was coming to terms with Tony's death. He felt by being given control of Edith by Tony, he was expected to somehow fill his shoes and live up to this impossible legacy. But Happy points out that there was only one Tony Stark. He also points out Tony was far from perfect. Tony never wanted Peter to take over for him. Homecoming spelled that by having Tony say to Peter that he wanted him to be "better" than him.

Peter now understands that all anyone wants is for him to be the best hero he can be. So, hopefully, any third entry doesn't need to go over that ground again. Which is my hope, anyway.
    Agree with each of you. We knew there had to be some wrapping up of endgame, specifically with Tony & Peter. By the end of the movie though we really see Peter step up into his own hero.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Ultimate Member

Yeah this was REALLY good:

-Tom Holland continues to be great he's just so freaking likeable.

-Mysterio was great and Jake Gyllenhaal gave a great performance. MCU Spidey films are 2 for 2 when it comes to effective villains so far.

-The rest of the cast was solid. Especially Zendaya, I loved her and Tom's dynamic. If I didn't already know that these two were super-close IRL (be it romantic or not), I'd still believe it just by seeing them here because they play off of each other so well. Also Happy Hogan was fun here as well.

-The action and Mysterio scenes were great.

-Really great to see JK Simmons back, and that he seems to be playing a different kind of JJJ than he did in the Raimi films.

-The idea of Peter's secret ID being public, at least temporarily, is potentially interesting. And I assume the Nick Fury/Maria Hill thing is set up for Captain Marvel 2 probably.

-Etc.

Yeah this was awesome.

Loved it.

JK is back, baby!!!!!!!

They nailed it with Mysterio, his impact on Spidey's history and the illusions.

I appreciated the Nick Fury stuff, especially the end credits.

I didn't like MJ in Homecoming, but I liked her here.

Marisa Tomei continues to steal my heart.

So excited to see SWORD.

I expected Sinister 6 stuff, and other-dimension stuff. I was not disappointed neither happened.

Definitely one of the best Marvel movies.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Not only was this a great follow up to Homecoming, but we pretty much needed it after Endgame. It was a more personal story with a hero who doesn't have all the history and baggage of the characters who built the MCU, but one trying to fit in their footsteps and live his own life.

Having said that, I agree that there was too much Tony influence on Peter. Still no origin and no Uncle Ben. Plus I was disappointed we didn't see what May went through after the end of last movie. A big part of the last bits of the Ultimate Spider-Man comic (the Peter Parker bits) was May finding out and coming to terms with him being a hero and Fury insisting that SHIELD would own his ass when he turns 18.

I liked Peter's supporting characters more this time around. MJ was much more likeable, and I'm used to Betty being a kid (her and Ned's relationship was fun). I'm still not sold on Flash, but I did like the moment of honesty between Happy and all of them when they thought they were about to die.

And Mysterio! Holy crap! I've been saying this since Spider-Man 2, Mysterio is the Number One Spider-Man villain who could make a huge cinematic presence. It certainly didn't disappoint (except the bit about him having a grudge against Stark...not everything revolves around that dude).

Jameson!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I see a little bit of the original 1960s take on Mary Jane in Zendaya's portrayal. Maybe not so much her later versions though. Her attitude just seems a lot closer to "party girl" MJ than Dunst's. Both Dunst and the video game MJ seemed more like girl next door types kind of like Ultimate MJ. Heck, I think even both Gwens felt a bit more like MJ (I remember when Emma Stone was first announced, everybody thought she was PERFECT casting for Mary Jane, but then she ended up being Gwen instead!)
    I've never been a fan of the girl next door approach to Mary Jane Watson. The Raimi movies introduced her way too soon in Peter's life and the Amazing movies didn't have her at all (when she should've been a friend/Aunt May's friend's niece who has just having fun until Gwen's death had a huge impact on both her and Peter). Having said that, though, I do like the implication that this MJ had a rough family life and that's why she's so guarded and brutally honest and the fact that Peter was more interested in Liz in the first movie. It would be kind of neat if Peter and MJ are going strong and then in the next movie, we meet a redheaded Mary Jane Watson who has designs on Peter. That'd be a crazy love triangle. I'd like to see their take on Gwen as well, and of course, Felicia Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Also wish we got more of Becks head games but yea hope Beck isnt really dead cause him and Keatons Vultire leading a sinister 6 would be amazing.
    Me too. Mysterio Fake Out! Or maybe one of the people working with him was Daniel Burkhart, who still has access to all the tech. Or maybe that Dmitri guy was actually the Chameleon. We had Vulture, Shocker, and Scorpion all in the last movie. Morris Bench was name dropped in this one, so possibly we'll see Hydro-Man? The Sinister Six would be a great threat to Spider-Man, and it would be more personal to him without the Tony Stark connection.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'm going to agree with the minority here and say that I thought it was just okay. For me, the Raimi films (well, the first two anyway) reign supreme as the definitive film version of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. While they certainly weren't perfect adaptations, I thought they captured the true essence of what makes Spider-Man great - an epic story contained within Peter's own universe of characters and relevance.

The Webb films were just too inconsistent, the only saving grace being the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.

With the MCU version, it's not even the hero worship of Tony Stark that bothers me as much as the fact that the villains of the films - Vulture and Mysterio - are really seeking revenge on Tony Stark, with Spider-Man just getting in the way. It just doesn't feel right to me even in the context of the MCU. I also thought a large group of former Stark Industries employees going along with the deaths of several innocent people as well as the destruction of London was...morbid and not very well explained. As much as I hate being that guy, I'd rather Mysterio have been a disgraced former special effects guru seeking revenge on Spider-Man, and everything taking place in New York.

Having said that, the performances were top-notch and I loved the way Mysterio used the holograms to toy with Peter's sense of reality, as he does in the comics.

Overall, I'd give it a B-. Not the worst Spider-Man movie but I was expecting a lot more.

I thought it started slow (though I did love the guy on the street's view of the snap/blip), but once Mysterio pulled a mysterio it was great.

the action scenes were a decided step up from homecoming, and the fights with Mysterio were fully realized comic fights with the villain. Mind bending and fantastic.

I'm fully down with Mysterio's MCU origin. The fact that they directly tie him to a previously established scene to legitimize him and the tech worked wonderfully imo, bringing back the poor meme tech from the first MCU movie was a nice touch as well.

comedy was on point, though I'm disappointed we didn't get any spidey in NY before his trip like the trailers suggested.

I'd put the Movie at a B borderline B+ but then came the post credit scenes. This has about the best mid credit scene ever. Tripple whamy of the reintroduction of JJJ, framing Spidey and outing his identity. God Damn! Makes the next film he's in must see.

So B+ from me.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Just saw the movie, it was awesome, now this is what I was hoping for, there are still some problems like the constant mentions and need of Stark or his technology, and some characters like Flash and MJ, they are not bad per se, MJ was fine in this movie, just not as MJ and Flash even less, their characters are not bad, but as adaptions they are pretty bad, as characters on their own, they are cool, I was surprised by MJ.

Other than that, this movie was glorious from beginning to end, the action, dialogue, plot and especially Mysterio are all amazing, and finally it looks like Peter is doing the right things just because it is the right thing, not because he wants to prove something.

Now for spoilers:

The one thing that I would have changed to make Peter's motivations for doing good more evident, was that instead of Nick Fury (Talos haha) hijacking his vacations, that once he decided to walk away, he'd realize he needed to help and come back on his own, having Fury redirecting their vacation to Prague seemed more like forcing Peter to act rather than him doing it because it's right, but it all worked out in the end, because it was clear Peter was determined to sacrifice and lose things for doing the right thing, this movie had a lot of parallels to Spidey's early days with Ditko where we saw his constant struggle to balance both lifes, and how being Spider-Man always costed him something from his personal life.

Also, after both post credits scenes, especially the first one, where the hell are they going from here ? Man, now the whole world knows Peter is Spider-Man, I didn't expect we'd get that, considering not even the comics have touched that territory (and we all know what happened the one time they did), to be honest I'm not quite sure I liked that, I'd have preferred to get another movie of Spider-Man balancing his secret identity, but I'm very intrigued as to how he will deal with the world knowing his true identity, and on top of that, the whole world thinks Spidey is the villain, can't wait to see them touch upon that, and I hope the next Spider-Man movie doesn't take too long to get here, and if we're going to see some ramifications of that revelation on another movie before the next Spidey entry.

As for the last post credits scene, I guess we never really saw Fury in the movie lol, it was Talos all along, at first when I saw Hill and Fury turn into Skrulls, my immediate thought was "no way, they're going for Secret Invasion", but then we saw him contacting the real Fury, so we know everything is fine, now the doubt becomes what is Fury doing in space.

Overall, excellent movie, surpassed my expectations.

Only just walked out, absolutely loved this. Smiled throughout, laughed a lot, adored the chemistry. This is one of the most fun MCU movies I have seen. Holland is growing into the role and everyone is firing on all cylinders. The perfect fun antidote to the seriousness and scale of Endgame.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.