Page 17 of 151 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Ummmm.....yeah, so the two are super powered, and Miles ..can fly??...would it have been too much to just make Miles like Kid Hyperion? Not only inspired, but he could've been really lit!
    I thought the exact same thing, it could have even been a fun little play on King Hyperion, but I guess even in a parody Batman still gets priority. Plus now that I think about it, it's a bit of a strange decision to have him as a (as far as we know) non powered sidekick instead of a powered one.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 02-03-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I thought the exact same thing, it could have even been a fun little play on King Hyperion, but I guess even in a parody Batman still gets priority. Plus now that I think about it, it's a bit of a strange decision to have him as a (as far as we know) non powered sidekick instead of a powered one.
    Exactly, at times I feel there's a trend to minimize black male heroes. Not to say definitively that this was intended but I wonder the thought process. Who's going to get the bulk of the action? Who can go head first into a battle without worrying about the first super strong villain jobbing him completely. We'll see if he has some other element that gives him some kind of advantage as the story is revealed.

Exactly, at times I feel there's a trend to minimize black male heroes. Not to say definitively that this was intended but I wonder the thought process. Who's going to get the bulk of the action? Who can go head first into a battle without worrying about the first super strong villain jobbing him completely. We'll see if he has some other element that gives him some kind of advantage as the story is revealed.
    I feel that way from time to time as well, and now that I think about it the Nighthawk and Miles combination doesn't make nearly as much sense as the other two. Dr Spectrum is the Green Lantern of the team and a lot of people consider the Novas the GLs of Marvel; Power Princess is the Wonder Woman of the team aka the premier female character and that's what Marvel pushes Captain Marvel as; from a meta standpoint those are very strong connections. What connection is there for Miles and Nighthawk other than both of them being black? The best I can come up with is Batman and Spider-Man are both the most popular solo characters of their respective companies, but that's not nearly as fitting a connection as the other two. Not to mention while the costume isn't bad we could have gotten something like this amalgam costume design that's a callback to the original Amalgam comics.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Ummmm.....yeah, so the two are super powered, and Miles ..can fly??...would it have been too much to just make Miles like Kid Hyperion? Not only inspired, but he could've been really lit!
    If they're going with the DC theme, a Kid Hyperion would be clone of Hyperion or a blood relative. So the apprentice of Nighthawk probably fit better.
    "Cable was right!"

I feel that way from time to time as well, and now that I think about it the Nighthawk and Miles combination doesn't make nearly as much sense as the other two. Dr Spectrum is the Green Lantern of the team and a lot of people consider the Novas the GLs of Marvel; Power Princess is the Wonder Woman of the team aka the premier female character and that's what Marvel pushes Captain Marvel as; from a meta standpoint those are very strong connections. What connection is there for Miles and Nighthawk other than both of them being black? The best I can come up with is Batman and Spider-Man are both the most popular solo characters of their respective companies, but that's not nearly as fitting a connection as the other two. Not to mention while the costume isn't bad we could have gotten something like this amalgam costume design that's a callback to the original Amalgam comics.
    Spider-Man and Batman are both street-level heroes that fight crime, so that's probably true for Nighthawk too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spider-Man and Batman are both street-level heroes that fight crime, so that's probably true for Nighthawk too.
    Exactly. Nova is Kid Spectrum because of the similar between Nova and Gl Corps.

Kamala takes after Zarda because she’s the premiere heroine like Captain Marvel.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly I think when they looked at it, Miles is probably the closest of any of the teen characters at Marvel who fits the "Robin Archetype" so that's why he's getting positioned into that role in this one-shot.

And again this is Jim Zub writing the one shot. He gave the three equal billing during his time as the Champions writers. I don't think there's any need for fear that they're trying to intentionally diminish any of them.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Honestly I think when they looked at it, Miles is probably the closest of any of the teen characters at Marvel who fits the "Robin Archetype" so that's why he's getting positioned into that role in this one-shot.

And again this is Jim Zub writing the one shot. He gave the three equal billing during his time as the Champions writers. I don't think there's any need for fear that they're trying to intentionally diminish any of them.
    Truthfully all three are robin types, in the sense they're sidekicks, or maybe jr versions of older heroes. More than anything I'm speaking as a fan of Miles, and its slightly irritating to see him go from powered hero, to "possibly " de-powered kid in a wing suit. Some of this is carryover from not really liking Falcon as a hero surely. I anticipate reading this to see the story and if the writer can pull this off though.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If they're going with the DC theme, a Kid Hyperion would be clone of Hyperion or a blood relative. So the apprentice of Nighthawk probably fit better.
    Its fiction, any of these things could have been applied.

Logically, Riri would be Hyperion's teen counterpart. Remember John Henry Irons, Steel? He was inspired by Superman and first donned his Steel armor when Clark was killed by Doomsday. He has a niece, Natasha Irons, who also uses the Steel identity (she was on the second Rebirth Titans team) and has a lot in common with Riri.

Our three Champions seem to have taken inspiration from three specific DC teen heroes - Teen Lantern for Sam (there was never a kid Green Lantern before Bendis's Young Justice included Keli Quintela), Cassie Sandsmark Wonder Girl for Kamala (originally got powers from Amazonian artifacts), and Tim Drake Red Robin for Miles.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Not a bad look, like kinda fun really.
    Geez! I think I'm getting sick seeing how this "Heroes Reborn" is turning Marvel into a "wannabe DC". Miles is supposed to be Robin? I think that's insulting. I still believe Peter has his powers here, but if he never became Spider-Man either for fear of the Squadron Supreme and because he never had a reason ofr it (Uncle Ben must be alive), that means there are a lot of things that must have changed without the one true Spider-Man. Without Peter, I suppose Miles didn't get his own Spider-Powers. But becoming a "Falcon" version of Robin? That's so levels of wrong.

By the way, the description says "the role of Nighthawk's deceased partner". Something tells me Sam Wilson could become something similar to Red Hood in all this.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Geez! I think I'm getting sick seeing how this "Heroes Reborn" is turning Marvel into a "wannabe DC". Miles is supposed to be Robin? I think that's insulting. I still believe Peter has his powers here, but if he never became Spider-Man either for fear of the Squadron Supreme and because he never had a reason ofr it (Uncle Ben must be alive), that means there are a lot of things that must have changed without the one true Spider-Man. Without Peter, I suppose Miles didn't get his own Spider-Powers. But becoming a "Falcon" version of Robin? That's so levels of wrong.

By the way, the description says "the role of Nighthawk's deceased partner". Something tells me Sam Wilson could become something similar to Red Hood in all this.
    Its just a one shot for what is effectively a what if event. I don't think its as serious as all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaeus View Post
    Why would it be?

And for the record, my lost would be something like
    1. Aaron Davis
    2. Donald Roxxon
    3. The Assessor
    4. Ultimate!Venom II
    5. Ultimatum
    6. Ultimate!Scorpion
    7. Frost Pharaoh
    8. Snatcher
    9. Human Fly Twins
    10. Asset Quantum

With an honorable mention to the Tinkerer from the Insomniac game.
    the human fly twins exist in the comics now? Neat. When did they show up?

it sucks that DC co-owns the name "spider-boy"... oh well.. hindsight is 20-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    Its just a one shot for what is effectively a what if event. I don't think its as serious as all that.
    Especially since both Miles’ and Perter’s Spider-Man comics, and the Champions comic for that matter, are going to continue uninterrupted while this whole,Heroes Reborn mini event is going on.