View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1045 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 45545945995103510411042104310441045104610471048104910551095 ... LastLast
Results 15,661 to 15,675 of 16972
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Obsidian hasn't been retconned. He alongside his sister Jade and his father will appear in March, and from what it seems (the story they'll appear written by James Tynion), Alan will still be gay.
    When the gay version of Alan Scott premiered he didn't have kids, but it's nice to hear they're bringing Obsidian back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    When the gay version of Alan Scott premiered he didn't have kids, but it's nice to hear they're bringing Obsidian back.
    Both the original Alan Scott and Obsidian are back now and both are queer.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Of the men featured in that picture only Constantine has any sort of relevance within DC at large and frankly I'd imagine unless his bisexuality was confirmed over at Vertigo I doubt it would of ever happened within the mainline books which have notedly gone out of their way to ignore in the past
    DC main did better on that once they got Constantine away from Lemire. Constantine's bisexuality was established at Vertigo, but only ever nodded to under that label - I think the sum of it over the course of a couple hundred issues was literally a sentence and two panels. He got an actual boyfriend after he got folded into the DCU proper, in the Doyle-Tynion-Rossmo series. That it was going to end terribly was projected from about a million miles away, but that's par for the course for most who get close to ConJob.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’d argue that making Aqualad and original version Alan Scott Green Lantern queer is a big deal, as they are both big time queer males in their respective franchises. Even Alan is about to be cast in the HBO Max Green Lantern show. And Aqualad may appear in an Aquaman sequel or an upcoming Titans season.

The only thing is that Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman families don’t have queer male rep, and they’re DC’s biggest solo franchises.

Wonder Woman is forgiven because her family and supporting cast are 95% females anyway.orps and whatnot, now if they had revealed one of four major male Lanterns

So that leaves the Superman and Batman families as your real issue.
    What do mean by "your issue" were talking about representation here, this conversation goes far beyond me, you or anyone else on this board. But yes it is pretty egreious DC two biggest franchises Superman and Batman lack any notable queer male rep even in a supporting capacity considering both Maggie Sawyer and Renee Montoya have been around for almost 30 years now.

Ultimately any queer rep is something at the end of the day but let's be real here Alan Scott is not a major figure within modern Green Lantern and a very safe option as he's largerly retired, mainly involved with the JSA and has little to do with the Corps or any of the actual space stuff. Revealing one of the 4 major male Earth lanterns of Hal, John, Guy, Kyle or even Baz as queer, now that would've of been ballsy.

I do feel Jackson Hyde a genuine step forward though but calling him a big deal in Aquaman a bit of a strech, he only recently started to play an active role in books under Kelly Sue DeConnick (and I thank her dearly for it) and I guess we'll see if he actually does start to show up in live-action, though the last thing that Titan show needs is another character they wont know what to do with.
    Last edited by walk; 01-09-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    What do mean by "your issue" were talking about representation here, this conversation goes far beyond me, you or anyone else on this board. But yes it is pretty egreious DC two biggest franchises Superman and Batman lack any notable queer male rep even in a supporting capacity considering both Maggie Sawyer and Renee Montoya have been around for almost 30 years now.

Ultimately any queer rep is something at the end of the day but let's be real here Alan Scott is not a major figure within modern Green Lantern and a very safe option as he's largerly retired, mainly involved with the JSA and has little to do with the Corps or any of the actual space stuff. Revealing one of the 4 major male Earth lanterns of Hal, John, Guy, Kyle or even Baz as queer, now that would've of been ballsy.

I do feel Jackson Hyde a genuine step forward though but calling him a big deal in Aquaman a bit of a strech, he only recently started to play an active role in books under Kelly Sue DeConnick (and I thank her dearly for it) and I guess we'll see if he actually does start to show up in live-action, though the last thing that Titan show needs is another character they wont know what to do with.
    I was using “you’re” in the general sense, not specifically to you personally.

Edit: I keep forgetting this is the Marvel forum not DC.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 01-09-2021 at 01:57 PM.

That was because the first gay version of Alan was a young version of the character from an alternate earth, like the majority of the JSA during new52.

During a Green Lantern anniversary issue, James Tinyon wrote a story featuring main Earth Alan Scott in his early days as Green Lantern and confirming that he was gay. And as Will Evans have said, both Alan and Obsidian are back and are going to be gay.

Astonishing Member

- Are Midnighter and Apollo still around in the DC universe right now? Do either of them have a book?
    They don't have a book at the moment, but they have turned up a few times last year and Midnighter is appearing in currently.

Seriously how many of those characters are still present in DC comics right now? Bunker, Pied Piper, The Ray, Catman, White Knight? How many of these characters are actually being used?
    I can't speak for the others, but I saw Bunker on the cover of an upcoming issue in either the February or March solicits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

Courtesy of Luciano Vecchio -- the DC gays
    Sticks out to me how few of these characters appear regularly. Can’t remember the last time most of these characters had regular appearances outside of Batwoman (who I don’t think is in a book right now), Wonder Woman (who never seems to be depicted as LGBTQ anywhere but in alternate universe past stories that lightly reference relationships with other Amazon’s), Constantine (who we are lucky to see depicted as attracted to men, sometimes), and Harley (who DC seems determined to block her relationship with Ivy).

Ultimate Member

I feel so out of touch with DC after so many years of being a big Legion/Teen Titans/Young Justice fan. There's at least 20 people on that poster, most off in the back, that I have no idea who they are (and a few that I had no idea where LGBT, like Killer Frost, Shining Knight, Cheetah and Olympian).

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    They don't have a book at the moment, but they have turned up a few times last year and Midnighter is appearing in currently.
    I didn't know this. Where have they appeared/where is Midnighter appearing?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel so out of touch with DC after so many years of being a big Legion/Teen Titans/Young Justice fan. There's at least 20 people on that poster, most off in the back, that I have no idea who they are (and a few that I had no idea where LGBT, like Killer Frost, Shining Knight, Cheetah and Olympian).
    That’s not Killer Frost, that’s Icemaiden, a hero.

The Shining Knight shown is the second one, that’s transexual, that Grant Morrison introduced in the mid-2000s. Not Sir Justin.

Yes, Olympian, Cheetah and Etta Candy are queer now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magnito View Post
    I didn't know this. Where have they appeared/where is Midnighter appearing?
    Midnighter is appearing in the Future State SUPERMAN: WORLDS OF WAR book:

https://www.gamesradar.com/future-st...uperman-title/

Last summer Apollo and Midnighter appeared together in the DC CYBERNETIC SUMMER one-shot, in a story that also featured Brain and Monsieur Mallah.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Sticks out to me how few of these characters appear regularly. Can’t remember the last time most of these characters had regular appearances outside of Batwoman (who I don’t think is in a book right now), Wonder Woman (who never seems to be depicted as LGBTQ anywhere but in alternate universe past stories that lightly reference relationships with other Amazon’s), Constantine (who we are lucky to see depicted as attracted to men, sometimes), and Harley (who DC seems determined to block her relationship with Ivy).
    Hippolyta who is queer is going to be on Bendis’s Justice League team starting in March

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    That was because the first gay version of Alan was a young version of the character from an alternate earth, like the majority of the JSA during new52.

During a Green Lantern anniversary issue, James Tinyon wrote a story featuring main Earth Alan Scott in his early days as Green Lantern and confirming that he was gay. And as Will Evans have said, both Alan and Obsidian are back and are going to be gay.
    That's a shame.

Not that Obsidian is back, I always liked him, but that the 'main' universe Alan is now gay. If they wanted that, they should have kept the young one around, then brought back original old straight Alan and Obsidian as well.

Could have had some interesting stories with Alan and the old JSA meeting young gay Alan, while he would also be meeting the older versions of his now lost/gone friends.

There was no need to erase the old Alan to keep the new one, when it's an alt. reality situation. Could have had both, and not needed messy retcons, or to piss off a load of fans all over again when you could have kept both sides happy enough and had both characters.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    That's a shame.

Not that Obsidian is back, I always liked him, but that the 'main' universe Alan is now gay. If they wanted that, they should have kept the young one around, then brought back original old straight Alan and Obsidian as well.

Could have had some interesting stories with Alan and the old JSA meeting young gay Alan, while he would also be meeting the older versions of his now lost/gone friends.

There was no need to erase the old Alan to keep the new one, when it's an alt. reality situation. Could have had both, and not needed messy retcons, or to piss off a load of fans all over again when you could have kept both sides happy enough and had both characters.
    Who’s pissed off?

I mean, Hercules is a longtime Marvel character since the 1960s and he was recently fully outed to be queer. Even though we already had an alternate universe Hercules be gay in X-Treme X-Men.

Also, off topic. But Aquaman and Mera’s daughter was just revealed to be queer as well.