Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post What happen if Jean Grey was potrayed by a black woman ?

How do you feel if MCU start to cast the actors for the role when the X-Men movie is greenlit ? What if Jean Grey is given the role to black woman ?

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    How do you feel if MCU start to cast the actors for the role when the X-Men movie is greenlit ? What if Jean Grey is given the role to black woman ?
    That would be so unnecessary. The X-Men already has the most prominent black woman in comics and i don’t need to hear the endless whining.

Also I feel like we might not even get Jean (at least at first) because they kinda gave her look and her powers to Wanda.

Some people would gripe. Other people would defend it. Everyone would get over it. But if we’re race-bending characters, especially the all-white O5, I think there are better choices. Cyclops and Iceman are the two I would look at for that.

Scott Summers could easily be Hispanic in my opinion. Corsair (or his mother) could be Hispanic. Or both. Makes sense. Lots of Hispanics in the U.S. Armed Forces, and Corsair was a Major in the Air Force. Wouldn’t change the core of the character in my view to make him Latino or half-Latino.

Iceman is another one. Would making him Black change anything about him really? Not sure we’ve had a gay, Black character in the X-men yet. Unless I missed it. Maybe Northstar’s husband, but he’s not a mutant or an X-man.

I could even make the case for Beast over Jean Grey (and over Warren, whose whiteness and privilege are kind of core to his character and also to his descent into darkness as the Angel of Death/Archangel, which is an important arc for him). But there are issues with making a character who is blue all the time a minority. I get that. However, I could see him as a big, strong Samoan American pretty easily.

Just my $.02.

Extraordinary Member

Personally, I don't really care at this point as the MCU is not my cup of tea anyway. It might be a bit of a disservice though to the actual black characters they could be using, portrayals that would then spotlight those characters and make them more popular, or even just creating a new character and letting any possible popularity drive the comics, like Valkyrie (but I guess that might be a bad pattern).

there are black people with red hair. Quite a few actually.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I think I’m tired of fictions being that formulaic. I know publishers should care about their readership…

But, for me ideally, authors should be free to tell whatever they have in their minds, they are not doing a sort of social service for some people to feel better. Market is enough a cruel judge.

Propose, author, and I will tell how I feel…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

It would probably easier accepted than if the would make Storm white, that is for sure. But I am a strong believer not to change some established character of the comics into something totally different in the movies, like they did with Nick Fury.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think I’m tired of fictions being that formulaic. I know publishers should care about their readership…

But, for me ideally, authors should be free to tell whatever they have in their minds, they are not doing a sort of social service for some people to feel better. Market is enough a cruel judge.

Propose, author, and I will tell how I feel…
    The problem comes in when the duality of thought equals everyone should look the same. There is no reason why so many works have characters of one color as though they can only fit the role. There is nothing about Jean Grey that says she had to be white when created or Iceman or Cyclops. So isn't it on the writer for not making that apart of them by showing us their culture. When it comes to black characters or other characters of color that culture is usually tied to them before they are created.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Is this what people mean when they say the Irish are "the blacks of Europe"?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The problem comes in when the duality of thought equals everyone should look the same. There is no reason why so many works have characters of one color as though they can only fit the role. There is nothing about Jean Grey that says she had to be white when created or Iceman or Cyclops. So isn't it on the writer for not making that apart of them by showing us their culture. When it comes to black characters or other characters of color that culture is usually tied to them before they are created.
    The subconscious is the author’s playground. When you tell a story, you play with yourself and you imagine the reactions of the public. You are your first public: it must please you. It’s about feelings, not logic… It’s biaised, subjective… unfair.
    The problem is on publishers, not authors, I believe.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

THE OG5 are tooo White to sell them this times.

But i dont mind if Jean is a Woman of any color. The plot, actress and story need to be wonderful. We have 20 years of more meh than good x men movies.

So please write them well.

Extraordinary Member

There is not really anything about Jean Grey or Iceman or Cyclops that requires them to be in the story to make anyone want to race swap them. There is no O5 story to be interpreted, even something like Dark Phoenix, Days of Future Past or take your pick can be done using just about whatever character the movie execs end up wanting to use.

This is not like modernizing Shakespeare or localizing something from another country. MCU movies do their own thing with barely any connection to the source material. There are marketing opportunities though, and plenty of characters to use to allow for a more varied cast.

There's nothing that says Jean grey had to be white when created, except for the fact that she was created that way.

There's nothing that says Jean grey has to be red haired either. or be an X-man. Or have telekinetic powers. Or be a telepath.
    How much do you want to change Jean grey before she's not Jean grey anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post

But i dont mind if Jean is a Woman of any color. The plot, actress and story need to be wonderful. We have 20 years of more meh than good x men movies.

So please write them well.
    I cannot imagine better X-Men movies than X2, Days of Future Past, and Logan.....

p.s.
    Why not. I don't mind seeing Jean Grey portrayed by a BIPoC actress.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

As long as you don't try to re-write history like F4ntastic cuz that was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Yet The Avengers are all their original races and nothing bad happened.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 01-20-2021 at 08:56 AM.
    "Cable was right!"