Incredible Member

Default What is Norman Osborn's recollection of the Clone Saga now?

I ask this because i was thinking of how the whole world being memory wiped affected this.

Does he remember masterminding the whole thing but not remember why he did it? We've already seen that Kaine, Ben and even Jackal remember the CS so it's kinda strange that the one who orchestrated the whole thing wouldn't remember it or the reasoning behind why he did it.

Thoughts??

They never went in detail about it, Norman didn't seem to be aware that he used to know Spider-Man secret. After Spider-Island logically he should know who Peter is, but he doesn't.

Also, with Harry's retcon, Norman plan in the CS pretty makes no sense after OMD, wheter he remembers Peter's secret or not.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    They never went in detail about it, Norman didn't seem to be aware that he used to know Spider-Man secret. After Spider-Island logically he should know who Peter is, but he doesn't.

Also, with Harry's retcon, Norman plan in the CS pretty makes no sense after OMD, wheter he remembers Peter's secret or not.
    It made no sense even before OMD, so I'm not surprised by this.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It made no sense even before OMD, so I'm not surprised by this.
    The way the Osborn Journal explain it made sense as far as i am concerned, but that just me.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Norman seems aware he's suffered from bits of amnesia in the past and the occasionally mental breakdown. Maybe he just assumes it was one of those things now and doesn't want to think too much about it.

"There was a massive convoluted plot against Spider-man. It involved clones and ... for some reason Spider-man's old photographer? I can't remember too much about that part but I'm sure it made sense at the time."

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Norman seems aware he's suffered from bits of amnesia in the past and the occasionally mental breakdown. Maybe he just assumes it was one of those things now and doesn't want to think too much about it.

"There was a massive convoluted plot against Spider-man. It involved clones and ... for some reason Spider-man's old photographer? I can't remember too much about that part but I'm sure it made sense at the time."
    "Jeez. Who the F is Judas Traveller, and why did I give him an expense account?"

Fantastic Member

This is actually a really good question! And it underscores how perilous it is to do these magical soft reboots. Similarly Aunt May should be asking why she was ever able to live in Avengers Tower for all those months, etc

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    This is actually a really good question! And it underscores how perilous it is to do these magical soft reboots. Similarly Aunt May should be asking why she was ever able to live in Avengers Tower for all those months, etc
    Didn't their old house not get destroyed?

Incredible Member

Think of it this way.

Take some random date from the past few years. Not a day when something major happened, just an average, banal day. Now, how much of what happened that day actually sticks in your head? Maybe with some prompting, you could recall quite a bit of it, but just sitting there?

That same sort of blanket gets put over their memories. If they sat down and thought hard about it, they might notice the inconsistencies or even remember what they've been made to forget, but part of the mindwipe is a prompt to Just Not Think About It. It's like the original Sentry miniseries - there were "missing" magazine issues because they had the Sentry on the cover, but people could quite happily go "...134, 135, 137, 138... yep, all there and accounted for, no missing issues."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Think of it this way.

Take some random date from the past few years. Not a day when something major happened, just an average, banal day. Now, how much of what happened that day actually sticks in your head? Maybe with some prompting, you could recall quite a bit of it, but just sitting there?

That same sort of blanket gets put over their memories. If they sat down and thought hard about it, they might notice the inconsistencies or even remember what they've been made to forget, but part of the mindwipe is a prompt to Just Not Think About It. It's like the original Sentry miniseries - there were "missing" magazine issues because they had the Sentry on the cover, but people could quite happily go "...134, 135, 137, 138... yep, all there and accounted for, no missing issues."

I'd have to go back and read some stuff but i'm pretty sure Norman kept journals and notes about his machinations with the CS so if that's the case do they just not exist anymore or does the blindspot/spell simply compel him to ignore their existance??

It probably also helps that outside of Peter himself Norman hasn't interacted with anyone else from the saga for it to really run across his mind....Maybe if a Scarlet Spider or two got in his face he might wonder why they're so intent on causing him significant bodily harm

Lastly it's been a while but can somebody explain how the blindspot works? Does Peter have to be unmasked for people who knew his ID for their memories to come back? I know Norman reconnected the dots while he was Red Goblin but then forgot by the end of that arc....Is that the blindspot still functioning or just really selective amnesia from the whole Carnage ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    I'd have to go back and read some stuff but i'm pretty sure Norman kept journals and notes about his machinations with the CS so if that's the case do they just not exist anymore or does the blindspot/spell simply compel him to ignore their existance??

It probably also helps that outside of Peter himself Norman hasn't interacted with anyone else from the saga for it to really run across his mind....Maybe if a Scarlet Spider or two got in his face he might wonder why they're so intent on causing him significant bodily harm

Lastly it's been a while but can somebody explain how the blindspot works? Does Peter have to be unmasked for people who knew his ID for their memories to come back? I know Norman reconnected the dots while he was Red Goblin but then forgot by the end of that arc....Is that the blindspot still functioning or just really selective amnesia from the whole Carnage ordeal.
    Originally, Peter has to unmask, but after Spider-Island the blindspot doesn't work anymore, so they can deduce who he is by himself. So whatever happened with him in Going Down Swinging has to do with the Carnage ordeal.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona