Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Keith Pollard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I hope to meet both of them at the great lakes comic con in Detroit, February 23rd. http://greatlakescomicconvention.com

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

"The Burglar Saga" was great. Remember tracking some of the back issues down. Never had the complete story but I did get my hands on ASM 200.

As far as 'forgotten' creators, I'd say Paul Jenkins is one whose name doesn't come up a lot these days, but if you were reading the books at the time, you absolutely remember him as the guy who revitalized the books after the Post "Chapter One" relaunch fell a little flat.

He put the focus back on Peter Parker, and to this day, his one-off character-driven stories hold up as some of the best ever written.

Happy birthday Keith Pollard!

My favorite Keith Pollard cover:

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Happy birthday Keith Pollard!

My favorite Keith Pollard cover:

Oh, man, that is BRILLIANT. There's something about the way they capitalized on mood and tone in the late 70s/early 80s that's never quite been matched IMO. Or I guess it has, but there's a distinctive vibe in the way it was done that's never been replicated.

Keith Pollard is one of the greats!

Jim Mooney. It's faces as he drew them the way you see them in the art of John Romita jr outlined sketches in a lot of 80s comics, most notably is the Juggernaut two parters. His art also informed how Al Milgrom, Keith Pollard, and Greg LaRoque on how to draw faces.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

I had no idea Jim Mooney's art was so influential to Al Milgrom, Keith Pollard, and Greg LaRoque Thanks for making me aware of this.

Astonishing Member

It’s kinda funny to think that had not been for OMD, Slott’s run might not have been noteworthy at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It’s kinda funny to think that had not been for OMD, Slott’s run might not have been noteworthy at all.
    What do you mean by that? Slott getting a run happened because of OMD. Before he started on ASM, Slott was an obscure and cult writer with little success. Known for She-Hulk and the Spider-Man/Human Torch series, and for doing Arkham Asylum Living Hell for DC (and a lot of DCAU tie-in comics). He started a series called Avengers The Initiative to map out the Post-Civil War status-quo at the time (and he worked with Chris Gage on that too). BND was run by an entire team of writers, and Slott was one among them because of the tri-monthly schedule and leaving out and cancelling second series in its place. The idea at the time based on what was said elsewhere and what you can infer is that after OMD you have a transition group to build and do the new status quo and pack in a ton of issues in short order so that you close the gap in terms of the number of issues in the marriage era. From 2008-2011, if they had done 1 ish/month you would have 48 issues. By going tri-monthly and then bi-monthly you now had 100+ issues in that same timeframe. So whichever new writer came on would have to deal and sort out the current status quo rather than go back to the old one.

And Slott's run is noteworthy even if I don't like it much. He introduced new characters like Mr. Negative and Screwball and Overdrive. He also introduced the first openly gay character in Spider-Man's supporting cast -- Max Modell. That's noteworthy definitely, and commendable.

Ann Nocenti with Brian Postman writer & artist at the end of SpiderWoman vol. 1

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    What do you mean by that? Slott getting a run happened because of OMD. Before he started on ASM, Slott was an obscure and cult writer with little success. Known for She-Hulk and the Spider-Man/Human Torch series, and for doing Arkham Asylum Living Hell for DC (and a lot of DCAU tie-in comics). He started a series called Avengers The Initiative to map out the Post-Civil War status-quo at the time (and he worked with Chris Gage on that too). BND was run by an entire team of writers, and Slott was one among them because of the tri-monthly schedule and leaving out and cancelling second series in its place. The idea at the time based on what was said elsewhere and what you can infer is that after OMD you have a transition group to build and do the new status quo and pack in a ton of issues in short order so that you close the gap in terms of the number of issues in the marriage era. From 2008-2011, if they had done 1 ish/month you would have 48 issues. By going tri-monthly and then bi-monthly you now had 100+ issues in that same timeframe. So whichever new writer came on would have to deal and sort out the current status quo rather than go back to the old one.

And Slott's run is noteworthy even if I don't like it much. He introduced new characters like Mr. Negative and Screwball and Overdrive. He also introduced the first openly gay character in Spider-Man's supporting cast -- Max Modell. That's noteworthy definitely, and commendable.
    I actually saw a lot of parallels with Ralph Macchio’s 99 series. Slott’s run isn’t helped by how normal everything is by the start of Spencer’s run. It might as well not have happened.

Seriously, where are those groundbreaking characters that you’re talking about. They’ve been written out.

Astonishing Member

Back on topic, I think one of the most underrated (and forgotten) creative teams on Spider-Man was Todd Dezago and Mike Wieringo's 'Sensational Spider-Man.' Dan Jurgens (writer and artist) also had a good run on 'Sensational' beforehand. But Dezago and 'Ringo (RIP) had some cracking issues with Spider-Ben, like the Looter issue and the Swarm 2-parter. Their issues with Peter after Ben died weren't nearly as good. Dezago was the rare (only?) writer that seemed to prefer writing for Ben than Peter (in stark contrast to Jurgens, who hated writing Ben so much he left after 6 issues or so).

BANNED

I think Dan Jurgens was the one who finally convinced Bob Harras to reinstate the comicbook character Peter Parker as the one true Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Marvel forgot that they wanted me to do some Spidey writing.

-Pav, who is totally not making that up at all...
    For shame Marvel!

I'm not sure if it counts or not, so I'm gonna ask:

How well remembered is the Tom DeFalco run on Spider-Man?

I feel that while not the longest run, it got a lot done in that time: He expanded Mary Jane's backstory revealing her to have known Peter was Spider-Man, created the Silver Sable, as well as the more minor Rose and Black Fox, was one of the creators of the Klyntar/Symbiotes (as a contributor), expanded upon the story of Crusher Hogan (the wrestler Spidey fought before Ben died), wrote the partway iconic and partway infamous Spider-Man vs. Firelord fight, and he wrote a crossover with the X-Factor (then a reunion of the O5 X-Men) where Spider-Man was thought to be a mutant.

However, while well received, I felt like it was one of the more underappreciated runs. It doesn't get quite thought of as a classic. Wonder why that is?