Page 9 of 865 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Well, this thread and the ongoing 50% off sale at a nearby LCS has once again conspired to do damage to my credit card. This monstrosity is now mine...

$75 CDN. I just couldn't resist temptation as I doubt I'll ever find it for less.

...and OMG this book is outrageous! LOL. I get sorta giddy and light-headed just looking at it. Its a giant book, and none of that Marvel Omnibus thin wavy paper here - this is thick, heavy, lovely paper just like the Fear Agent books. Unbelievably nice!

A few more pics for those interested...

Fantastic Member

...last one...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Great collections James, Zevious Zoquis and NZ_Inferno... Someone should set up that #shelfies (shelfpron) thread.

Awesome to put all those links up Kalitarix. Let's keep them where they are and I'll put links up in the OP this weekend. I also want to put solicited OHC, omnibuses, coffee table books and regular hardcovers there. And then also put up links to pics and videos of books that were posted in the thread. A little similar to the DC/Vertigo thread. Nova made a great format there in part 2 which NZ followed in part 3 that would suit this thread too I guess...

Any other wishes of thing that should be at the top of the thread (space permitting)?
    Cheers, if you want I can copy out the formatting from the DC thread. I had to mostly guess as you can't copy the BB code from the old forums as I wasn't the OP. it took a bit longer to do than I expected, especially saving photos etc.

Would be great to see links to reviews from 9th blog if that's allowed, or reproduced here to read. OOP books perhaps, though that could be a big list considering all the publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    Some cool prints from the private eye folks > http://panelsyndicate.com/shop

Tnx Martin for the topic restart, you the man

This shift+delete of old board + accounts, man, i dunno what to say that won't come out harsh.
    I'm not certain how to archive some valuable topics cause the search function on oldboards seems to be broken, any suggestions are welcomed
    You can login on the old board with your original login/password. Then copy and paste, or edit posts and copy. Could always take screenshots and post as jpgs, if you want to save a lot of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    kalitarix, thanks again for those lists!
    Yeah those lists are fantastic, great work.

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    ...last one...

I really need to read this, it's been sitting on my shelf for too long!

Spectacular Member

I was just flicking through the Conan book myself an hour ago, to be honest I'd rather they used Marvels paper, I don't have room for many books like this lol. It really puts DC to shame though, seems every other publisher is fully capable of binding a book properly so that it stays open except DC.

Looking forward to Sin city now, bigger than Conan with 100 more pages!, I wonder why it's priced $50 less?, because it's in BW you think?.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I was just flicking through the Conan book myself an hour ago, to be honest I'd rather they used Marvels paper, I don't have room for many books like this lol. It really puts DC to shame though, seems every other publisher is fully capable of binding a book properly so that it stays open except DC.

Looking forward to Sin city now, bigger than Conan with 100 more pages!, I wonder why it's priced $50 less?, because it's in BW you think?.
    Big Damn Sin City isn't oversized, it's 7"x10" which is regular hc size. It will be fatter than the Conan book.

Edit: wait they changed it from the original solicit, it is oversized now. Dammit I've been avoiding buying it because it was regular sized in the original announcement,
    Last edited by NZ_InFerno; 05-02-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Fantastic Member

Well, I don't mind the Marvel paper as I haven't had any issues yet myself, but I still don't think I'd trade the quality of the Colossal Conan book for that. This book is absolutely luxurious!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Well, it's probably just a nuance, but I didn't actually say the Fantagraphics EC books were fragile, just that "they look more fragile than Dark Horse's Archives", and I stand by it. Maybe I should have said the latter looked sturdier.

At any rate, though, the covers on the Fanta books are much more prone to scuffing, and the binding on two of mine isn't all there, and I do take care of my books.

They are very nice books and at a very good price indeed, so there is really nothing to complain about —with the exception of Fanta's nasty habit of offering slipcases well after the fact—, otherwise I wouldn't have bought six of them. It's just that the DH archives are gorgeous, with better binding and paper. They just lack the essays to be the perfect package imo.

Edit: Oh, and thanks again for your hard work, Kalitarix.
    Ok well which of the horror and the sci-fi color reprint books do you suggest if I had to get just one of each genre to sample?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Big Damn Sin City isn't oversized, it's 7"x10" which is regular hc size. It will be fatter than the Conan book.
    That's how it was announced initially, but it will actually be as large as Colossal Conan.

From Dark Horse site: b&w/FC, 1,360 pages; HC, 8” x 12 3/16” http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/23-70...mn-Sin-City-HC

That's how it was announced initially, but it will actually be as large as Colossal Conan.

From Dark Horse site: b&w/FC, 1,360 pages; HC, 8” x 12 3/16” http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/23-70...mn-Sin-City-HC
    Yeah I went back and checked again, wish they had said so upfront as it was available on a cheap preorder for awhile. Amazon is still rocking the original size announced too which is why I never added it to my orders.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Ok well which of the horror and the sci-fi color reprint books do you suggest if I had to get just one of each genre to sample?
    If I were you, I think I'd grab Tales From The Crypt vol. 3 of the Gemstone archives. I've heard some criticisms of the re-coloring since DH took over. Weird Science vol 2 is good too...

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Yeah I went back and checked again, wish they had said so upfront as it was available on a cheap preorder for awhile. Amazon is still rocking the original size announced too which is why I never added it to my orders.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I pre-ordered on amazon.de for €52 And got the Complete Torpedo pre-ordered for €54. Going to be a heavy July.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    I've actually only bought one DH Archive so far (Tales from the Crypt Volume 4), so I can't really be of much help here, but then they (Dark Horse) have only published The Vault of Horror Volume 3 and Weird Fantasy Volume 1. I don't own any Gemstone Archive either.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    kalitarix, thanks again for those lists!
    Quote Originally Posted by ripclaw View Post
    Agreed. I am just in awe.
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by PrankT View Post
    Didn't realize there were oversized Avatar comics.
    That's exactly why I did them.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    If I were you, I think I'd grab Tales From The Crypt vol. 3 of the Gemstone archives. I've heard some criticisms of the re-coloring since DH took over. Weird Science vol 2 is good too...
    Ok ill look for these, thanks for the advice.

PSA for anyone interested in the Wally Wood Cannon hardcover from Fantagraphics: it seems to be selling out all over (already gone at amazon, IST, CGN). Best price now is $29 at Barnes and nobles website. Free shipping too.

And got the Complete Torpedo pre-ordered for €54.
    I wish they would publish a Complete Torpedo in its original Spanish. Not a fan of translations when I can avoid them, but such an edition is probably just a pipe dream. Bummer.