Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

So I guess in this reality, Pete & MJ named their daughter after MJ's Aunt Anna instead of Peter's Aunt May.

All-New Member

Not surprised at all that this issue decided to show us how much worse Peter would be if he stayed married.

Like for real, couldn't we just have him balancing everything instead of [spoiler]resorting to murder/quitting being a hero[/spoiler]

Quote Originally Posted by Idio View Post
    Not surprised at all that this issue decided to show us how much worse Peter would be if he stayed married.

Like for real, couldn't we just have him balancing everything instead of [spoiler]resorting to murder/quitting being a hero[/spoiler]
    I found that the issue actually provided a plausible scenario whereby Peter would act in a way that he never would as a non-parent. Additionally, the closing scene also showed him embracing a much larger responsibility than fighting crime; it is literally spelled out on the page in the narration boxes. Moreover, it's something that was touched on previously in the excellent 1990's mini-series which relocated Peter and a pregnant MJ out west while Ben Reilly took over as Spidey (I believe it was called "The Final Adventure" but not positive).

I said during Spider-Verse that I wasn't wild about the crossover, that I wanted a more character-driven story, and that I hoped RYV would be that. And I believe it is. It's not what I expected, but I didn't walk away disappointed.

Being parents changes people. Seeing the way Peter and MJ treated Venom because he threatened their daughter really brings that point home. I'm really interested to see where this is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I said during Spider-Verse that I wasn't wild about the crossover, that I wanted a more character-driven story, and that I hoped RYV would be that. And I believe it is. It's not what I expected, but I didn't walk away disappointed.

Being parents changes people. Seeing the way Peter and MJ treated Venom because he threatened their daughter really brings that point home. I'm really interested to see where this is going.
    I agree on all points! Also, I find it cool that I reconsidered what the "vows" were in the "Renew Your Vows" title after reading this.....well done by Slott and of course just brilliant art by Kubert as well.

just reread. venom sounded like bad fanfic "i'm gonna suck at your brains "lmao

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    Wasn't he like that back in the 90's ?

Man, I was so pumped for this issue and I definitely wasn't disappointed. It was really nice seeing Peter and MJ back together again. Really interested to see where this would actually be headed.

Kinda scared that MJ is going to die somehow though. And Annie blames Peter for it because he did not step up to his responsibility as Spider-Man. And she gets brought over to the 616 universe. And we kind of have a "Batman and Son" scenario where Annie would hate Peter and be a grouchy kind of anti-hero.

And I am rambling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorSuperboy View Post
    Man, I was so pumped for this issue and I definitely wasn't disappointed. It was really nice seeing Peter and MJ back together again. Really interested to see where this would actually be headed.

Kinda scared that MJ is going to die somehow though. And Annie blames Peter for it because he did not step up to his responsibility as Spider-Man. And she gets brought over to the 616 universe. And we kind of have a "Batman and Son" scenario where Annie would hate Peter and be a grouchy kind of anti-hero.

And I am rambling.
    I do hope that Annie is not brought over to 616 at all. Keep her with her parents. The only child that I felt should have crossed over to 616 was Mayday(Venom)Parker from Earth-X...

Honestly I wouldn't mind this Peter with his family replacing the 616 verison. But I don't think that will happen.

I'm very curious to see what elements are brought over into the books and HOW they are brought over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    He said that a lot back in the day.

There was even a toy where you press a button and that exact line comes out of him

When he finally DID eat a brain, it did'nt agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Threads View Post
    He said that a lot back in the day.

There was even a toy where you press a button and that exact line comes out of him

When he finally DID eat a brain, it did'nt agree with him.
    I'm actually not sure that Venom was known for saying "I want to eat your brains" back in the day. If anything, I think the toy started the trend because the phrase was so ridiculous.

The figure debuted in 1990. If my math is right, Venom first appeared around 1988, so he hadn't even had that many appearances yet, relatively speaking.

A very solid start to a mini. Shake up expectations and move towards a story about how responsibility can be used as an excuse to not do the right thing. I liked the way MJ essentially made the call. I don't see this as a commentary on what would have happened if MJ and PP had remained together. It's more of a study in how parenthood can skew your judgement. Peter is led down the path throughout the issue, step by step:

spoilers:
    First having MJ focus his priorities as she sees them.
    Then seeing his closest superhero figures getting killed.
    Then watching the Avengers get taken out by a big bad.
    Then a different big bad threatening his own family.
    Finished off with a further push from MJ towards the ultimate vigilante solution.
    end of spoilers

It all makes for a very well written set-up for an interesting idea. As this is not a Battleworld book it will probably remain self contained so I don't expect another Spider guy or gal to swing through anytime soon.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

That toy did exist, yep. And there was another one (that I liked better) that said "We are Venom. HSSSSSSSSSS!" Good times.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

yep. i get the feeling that some people just want a marriage and child as warm and fuzzy window dressing and for peter to remind more or less the same except…”more responsible”…in some vague way. a child and family should change you in all sorts of ways. it’s been pretty fascinating for me to see it with my friends; one in particular was a vegan pacifist artist made of skin and bones- quit smoking and began powerlifting and taking mma classes. he’s never said it was because of his daughter’s birth, but his sudden change of mindset was a funny coincidence.