Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    It’s called ‘not trying’.

*Heavy southern voices overheard at a conference room within DC offices*
    “Gentleman, it’s come to my attention that we need to give that -uhh, negro fella we have, a proper emblem. I say...any ideas?”
    “Well...isn’t he mechanical? How about a gear, sir?”
    *Panel looks around shrugging at one another*
    “Brilliant!!! Art team, get on it. First submission wins!”

“Has anyone seen what this Mr Walker and Reis have done with our darker skin Leaguer? I don’t know. I’m just not sure I like that very much. This (whispered)diversity(whisper ends) thing has just gone too far! Now his arms are brown? Was 3/5ths of his face not enough? If it was good enough for our forefathers then it should be good enough for us. Someone fix that. I just don’t like it! I just don’t.”
    “On it, sir!”

“How long has it been since that colored robot fella has been dismembered?”
    “It’s been a good six months, sir.”
    “Has it been that long?!? My-my. Well let’s get on with anotha’ one of those. That one where his spine pulled out with his skull poled very well with our *clears throat* fan base.”
    “On it, sir! Any particular limb you like this time?”
    “The head will suffice, son. My daddy always told me “You don’t mess with a classic”. Be sure to show the dead in the eyes. Something about that always just tickles me!”
    “Right away, sir”
    Funny as this is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the conversation was verbatim look at the end results. Look at Oddessy, would never see Batman just switched to the back of the bus like Cyborg was. Our guy can be so much more than this disrespect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You're really missing the point of what people are saying. Nobody is saying to keep him as is. What they're saying is that the elements that have been successfully used in larger media (for years) need to be adapted into the comics. And we're also saying that the marketing and business realities mean the face plate can't be removed completely without some other marketable design they can use and capitalize on.
    Thats the way I see it, the face plate is his Superman shield.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Thats the way I see it, the face plate is his Superman shield.
    A big difference I see is that the Superman shield actually looks cool. I'm seeing people defending a design choice that even they admit is not that appealing looking. Also, the Superman shield is an emblem that can be put on t-shirts and whatnot. I think that half face would be considerably harder to market. Especially since...you know, it doesn't look that good.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-17-2020 at 04:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    A big difference I see is that the Superman shield actually looks cool. I'm seeing people defending a design choice that even they admit is not that appealing looking. Also, the Superman shield is an emblem that can be put on t-shirts and whatnot. I think that half face would be considerably harder to market. Especially since...you know, it doesn't look that good.
    The underwear over his leggings/pants whatever you want to call it is so not cool. But guess what we have back because it’s iconic lol

Pretty sure I’ve seen Cyborg shirts with the face outline

I’d definitely wear this though
    https://www.wickydeez.com/products/j...g-logo-t-shirt
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 01-17-2020 at 06:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    The underwear over his leggings/pants whatever you want to call it is so not cool. But guess what we have back because it’s iconic lol

Pretty sure I’ve seen Cyborg shirts with the face outline

I’d definitely wear this though
    https://www.wickydeez.com/products/j...g-logo-t-shirt
    To a good deal of people, the underwear is actually cool, otherwise we wouldn't have seen it repeated so often and to such great success, with characters as close as DC Comics' Batman to as far as the Japanese creation Mega Man. Some people don't like the underwear, true, but it's proven to work with enough people to be lucrative. Cyborg hasn't yet shown himself to be particularly lucrative, and people often complain about his design, and his face in particular.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-17-2020 at 06:32 PM.

People like rocking logos. It gives the vibe that you are the hero. Cyborg’s face isn’t being rocked like an S-logo, a bat symbol, a lightning bolt, a stacked W, a lantern, etc. In the Hall of Justice, what would we see on Cyborgs’s chair? His face?? Or his logo?

Cyborg’s logo should be his identifier and not his face. This needs to be rectified.

BANNED

To a good deal of people, the underwear is actually cool, otherwise we wouldn't have seen it repeated so often and to such great success, with characters as close as DC Comics' Batman to as far as the Japanese creation Mega Man. Some people don't like the underwear, true, but it's proven to work with enough people to be lucrative. Cyborg hasn't yet shown himself to be particularly lucrative, and people often complain about his design, and his face in particular.
    There’s people in this thread that have argued for an against the faceplate as something iconic. It’s what he debuted as a superhero with in the same regard to Superman. I think it’s dismissive to suggest its not a big part of the character or that everyone or the “majority” hates it. Especially given a lot of people I age who aren’t into comics probably use it to identify the character because of a cartoon

BANNED

People like rocking logos. It gives the vibe that you are the hero. Cyborg’s face isn’t being rocked like an S-logo, a bat symbol, a lightning bolt, a stacked W, a lantern, etc. In the Hall of Justice, what would we see on Cyborgs’s chair? His face?? Or his logo?

Cyborg’s logo should be his identifier and not his face. This needs to be rectified.
    There’s a bunch of shirts on sale for Cyborg with an actual logo on it. Usually being that red gear looking C with the arc reacted as an outercircle.

BANNED

There’s people in this thread that have argued for an against the faceplate as something iconic. It’s what he debuted as a superhero with in the same regard to Superman. I think it’s dismissive to suggest its not a big part of the character or that everyone or the “majority” hates it. Especially given a lot of people I age who aren’t into comics probably use it to identify the character because of a cartoon
    I point back to the Harley Quinn example. Her New 52 design carries over nothing from her original design, except for pale skin. Yet, people have no trouble identifying her, despite a cartoon that showed her with a different costume, and she's been extremely successful with her new look(s).

But *shrug* I'll just leave people to it. It really doesn't matter to me, because, being transparent here, I don't even like the character (because of things like the face plate and many other somewhat similar factors). I just thought my two cents could be somewhat beneficial somehow.

If the faceplate is really that essential to some people...well...knock yourselves out.

Hell yeah, so would I. And I don't even think that's a good logo, the only thing that makes it work is the coloring.

It should be, but first he's gotta get a consistent logo that's used across all his multiple appearances. Superman's "S" gets tweaked a little bit between movies and shows and games, etc., but it's always the same basic design and we recognize the "S" from the CW as easily as we do the one from MoS. No one questions who that is. Vic needs the same degree of consistency, so it won't do any good if he's got that JL logo here, and the C-gear there, and the "C-in-the-box" somewhere else. DC has to settle on one design, it has to look unique and dynamic, and then it's gotta be on TTGO!, the comics, YJ season 4, Doom Patrol, and anywhere else Vic shows up. Once that logo has traction you can start backing off from the face plate. But as it is? That's still his #1 most recognizable visual element, the one thing that has had the same kind of consistency as the "S" shield. Take that away too soon and you've just got a guy with no recognizable features at all. So get the logo in people's minds first, or Vic will sell less merchandise than he does now and that's not gonna help him become a bigger deal or get more effort from DC.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

It wouldn’t hurt me if they remove or keep it either. I just don’t think it’s the best message to send honestly. I get why it sounds regressive or like you’re keeping a character in a stasis of not growing. But I think it’s all part of the whole lore of “going through an accident and learning how to cope with it after the fact, accepting who and what you are now, and learning how to move on with it and love yourself again.

Changing that is the equivalent of Daredevil in the long running being able to see or Black Bolt being able to use his voice in the long running. Or Metamorpho/Ben Grimm who also have appearance issues. I’m a black man and I don’t see it as any of these conspiracy ideas of keeping a black man mutilated lol. I kinda of understood the criticism when he was in the JL and the only black character DC was pretty much pushing at the time. But I don’t get it now with John Stewart constantly being featured in the League as far as we know and being the “token black guy” (lord help me for agreeing with that tokenism term) of the league atm.

I think it’s insensitive to the people who relate to the character in that regard and followed him since conception because of that original theme that was brought up. It doesn’t hurt me one bit, I like Vic whether he’s man or machine.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 01-17-2020 at 07:25 PM.

I point back to the Harley Quinn example. Her New 52 design carries over nothing from her original design, except for pale skin. Yet, people have no trouble identifying her, despite a cartoon that showed her with a different costume, and she's been extremely successful with her new look(s).

But *shrug* I'll just leave people to it. It really doesn't matter to me, because, being transparent here, I don't even like the character (because of things like the face plate and many other somewhat similar factors). I just thought my two cents could be somewhat beneficial somehow.

If the faceplate is really that essential to some people...well...knock yourselves out.
    I don't often agree with you but I was just about to hit this same point. while I can concede that maybe the metal plate on his face is one of the few consistent identifiers Vic has maintained, but the assertion that removing it would make him unrecognizable or would effect his branding is insulting to audiences' intelligence. Harley Quinn looks nothing like how see did when she was first introduced and her character has only gotten more and more popular over time, people have had no issue recognizing who she is across all mediums. I'm not saying we HAVE to get rid of the metal faceplate but in a world where technology is becoming more streamlined and subtle, it's harder to justify such a low-tech conception of a cyborg when every other cyborg/bionic character in other mediums and other properties become more sleek. if they need an icon for Cyborg they have plenty of logos they've tried out, they should pick one and be consistent
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

It wouldn’t hurt me if they remove or keep it either. I just don’t think it’s the best message to send honestly. I get why it sounds regressive or like you’re keeping a character in a stasis of not growing. But I think it’s all part of the whole lore of “going through an accident and learning how to cope with it after the fact, accepting who and what you are now, and learning how to move on with it and love yourself again.

Changing that is the equivalent of Daredevil in the long running being able to see or Black Bolt being able to use his voice in the long running. Or Metamorpho/Ben Grimm who also have appearance issues. I’m a black man and I don’t see it as any of these conspiracy ideas of keeping a black man mutilated lol. I kinda of understood the criticism when he was in the JL and the only black character DC was pretty much pushing at the time. But I don’t get it now with John Stewart constantly being featured in the League as far as we know and being the “token black guy” (lord help me for agreeing with that tokenism term) of the league atm.

I think it’s insensitive to the people who relate to the character in that regard and followed him since conception because of that original theme that was brought up. It doesn’t hurt me one bit, I like Vic whether he’s man or machine.
    i don't think anyone is asking to make Vic completely human, no matter what he's always going to be half man half machine, but if his character is supposed to be as high tech as they keep trying to enforce then there is a way to portray that cybornetic aesthetic with him looking like a he's still just cobbled together from metal parts. the design is divorced from who they say the character is. people know who Vic is, he's had the stories where he learned to accept what happened to him and appreciate who is is now, his design should reflect that and people won't forget what he stands for if his design evolves. again, there are so many better, more modern, more well-balanced designs to reference in popular culture.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

I think the most important thing is keeping the cybernetics visible. Making the fact the accident happened apparent.

I agree it’s a bit regressive not showing him to ever “evolve” “update” whatever you want to call it. But I think it would be a stronger statement to have him choose to look the way he does as a way to suggest he “evolved” in mindset.

I’m game to wherever DC takes him though and if they lose the faceplate and decide the accident isn’t something that needs to be brought up, or a various of different thing. I’d be game for it. Im just happy as long as he keeps appearing somewhere regularly tbh

BANNED

Just no to stuff like turning him all gold and looking like a member of the metalmen