Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Death threats are pathetic and unacceptable, and that goes without saying. And it's disappointing that the case against this variant cover is somewhat tainted by people who sunk to such lows.

But yeah, I still think that cover was a bad idea. I wasn't really calling for it to be removed or anything; I just held the observation that it's a tasteless cover. And I imagine Cameron doesn't want people being misled by the cover when the direction he and his team are doing is the exact opposite.

Personally, I hate the Killing Joke. Authors generally aren't the best judge of their own work, but Moore is basically right that TKJ is ****. It's almost like because it has Alan Moore's name on it, and it stars the Joker, it's become this "classic" that modern writers are constantly obsessed with, especially when it comes to the victimization of Barbara Gordon. It's why I hated Simone's run, and why I didn't like this cover.
    At the same time, no one is forcing you to buy it.

It seems like the discussion here should be between the current creative team and DC.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    And there are more to comics than bad things happening to male characters on covers. But again, no...one...says...a...word.
    You found those Bruce, Dick and Jason covers of them crying, terrorised psychologically and sexually yet?

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    Who said Batgirl was an all ages book?
    I don't think it is. The first issue of Cameron Stewart's run had Barbara throwing up because she was drunk. I don't consider that "family friendly" in the traditional sense. And there's a lot more examples beyond that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Especially these days where many times the covers (particularly with Marvel) don't even reflect what happens inside. Or, vaguely so.
    They're both important, the content probably more so. But, especially with how much of the industry moves through online solicits (which is why it doesn't matter if these are variant covers with lower print runs), the covers still say a lot about how the company wants to promote their characters. Even if only online, far more people will encounter these covers (and doubly so for big events) than ever encounter the pages they contain.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty
    It seems like the discussion here should be between the current creative team and DC.
    If we're removing death threats from the equation (and I really hope there weren't any or were very few from lone nutjubs), it seems like it was.
    Last edited by Cipher; 03-16-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Hence "I wasn't really calling for it to be removed or anything."

All-New Member

This is complete and utter horse$#!+. Evil, murderous, psychopathic super-villains are no longer allowed to appear menacing on the cover of a comic book? "Once you OPEN the comic, we'll show them being as depraved and awful as possible, but god forbid we accurately represent our characters." DC has absolutely no spine. The only thing they have actually "stood up for" against fan pressure is banning gay marriage from Batwoman. Otherwise, they fold faster than a world champion origami artist. "Oh, people want diversity? We'll give Cyborg a new, sleeker look and invent a new black Superman who shows up out of nowhere without any legitimate effort or storytelling. But no gay marriage."

Its funny and sad how Batgirl now has to be immune from all the terrible things that happen to male characters because its offensive to some people when it gets done to women.
    Dick Grayson has been raped
    Jason Todd has been beat to death by the Joker
    Tim got taken on a psychological joy ride by the Joker
    Damian has actually been paralyzed

But Batgirl gets shown in a homage to the Killing Joke on a variant cover that isn't happening in the comics but that's too much and offensive apparently

Batgirl might as well just quit the bat family if her fans can't handle something as minor as the Joker being an evil bastard

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Pretty sure Cameron Stewart is going to be keeping a much closer eye on the Batgirl variants from now on.

Incredible Member

So it wasn't Albuqueque who got the threats, it was people who complained about the cover.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    And I'm not sure why bad things happening to characters on covers is a negative? It's commonly used to make the image more striking, to draw people to the book. The complaint appears to largely be that this cover is too striking, when that's the entire point of comicbook covers.
    Nah, the complaint is largely that the Batgirl cover treats the lead character in a far less respectful way than any of the other variant covers.

If Superman, Batman and Green Lantern's covers also featured them powerless, terrified and crying then there wouldn't be this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Cage View Post
    How many times was Barbara beaten to death with a crowbar?
    Or Dick. How many times did the Joker strip Dick naked and take pictures?

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    You found those Bruce, Dick and Jason covers of them crying, terrorised psychologically and sexually yet?
    Still not seeing the slightest hint of anything sexual in the image.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Sh*t, was he? I'd never know, since it doesn't seem to be a defining cover element for him.
    Actually, that's one of the problems. People just forget about that.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyflute View Post
    What exactly is off limits in art? Are these people gonna flip their lids every time a female character is brutalized in a comic? DC is spineless for yielding to the pressure.
    Twitter/Tumblr have become The Joker in this situation, using death threats to pressure the artist to abandon their creation in order to please them. A lot of DC fans saw the reference for what it was, a homage to one of the greatest Joker stories of all time. However the whole situation was twisted with the usual "this is rape" card. Anyone who knows the book will tell you there was no rape, yes there was sexualized photos taken of Babs while she was on the ground in PAIN OF A GUNSHOT WOUND. Joker is not a sexual being (Take a look at his history with Harley Quinn, there's never been any sex scenes or implied sex scenes between them ever) so why would he change for one character?

I loved the cover. Not into the version of Batgirl that's in the book. She comes across as idiotic and not knowing what she's doing. Don't know why the writer was offended. It probabl would have helped sales on the book.

So I just heard about this:

Cameron Stewart said that the threats the DC statement was referring to were the ones made against people objecting to the cover.

Imagine that.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson