Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The King's Speech: Black Bolt Appreciation

Quiet and reserved, the king of the Inhumans of Attilan may not look it, but he is among the most powerful beings on Earth.

Normally used as a right of adulthood for Inhuman teens, Blackagar Boltagon received the gift of Terrigenesis as an embryo, manifesting powers of energy manipulation far superior than any living Inhuman. For 19 years he was sealed in a soundproof chamber, learning to manipulate electrons through the tuning fork on his forehead, and to suppress his "quazi-sonic" voice that could tear matter to ribbons before him.

His first month out of the chamber saw him to battle with his brother Maximus and the Kree, using his powers to win, but inadvertently killing his parents and driving Maximus insane. Black Bolt took the throne of Attilan at age 20.
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 09-01-2015 at 09:58 AM.

BANNED

In the intervening years Black Bolt has had many dealings with the Fantastic Four and Avengers. He is a founding member of the Illuminati, one of the four who sent Hulk into space (fortunately he was replaced by a Skrull at the time and was spared the wrath of Hulk upon his return). Recently he fought Thanos in a knock-down, drag-out brawl in New York during Infinity, and is currently part of the New Avengers (with varying degrees of willingness) aiding the fight against the incursions.

black bolt vs thanos.jpg

During Infinity, Black Bolt detonated a Terrigen Bomb, sending a cloud of mist across the world transforming humans with latent Inhuman genes. He is preparing for a coming disaster, one that will require far more Inhumans than he initially had...

BANNED

And his wife is probably really pissed off at him right now.

Getting into Inhumans now, and Black Bolt is my favorite (followed by Gorgon).

What are considered the best Black Bolt stories?

BANNED

There aren't a lot of Inhuman stories that don't involve Black Bolt. The mini series is a good showcase for most of the Inhumans, and wherever they published his origin story is probably worth looking into. (I haven't found that yet).

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    There aren't a lot of Inhuman stories that don't involve Black Bolt. The mini series is a good showcase for most of the Inhumans, and wherever they published his origin story is probably worth looking into. (I haven't found that yet).
    True. Is the Jenkins/Lee (Marvel Knights) series good? I have heard good things about it. Thinking of just picking up the trade.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I always prefered Maximus the Mad.Super-genius all the way.Especially,if the mad genius is combined with extravagant outfits,Kirby Style.

" I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I always prefered Maximus the Mad.Super-genius all the way.Especially,if the mad genius is combined with extravagant outfits,Kirby Style.

I want to see him try to stand up in that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    True. Is the Jenkins/Lee (Marvel Knights) series good? I have heard good things about it. Thinking of just picking up the trade.
    That's the miniseries I was referring to, yes! It's noty favorite Medusa, but it really offers insight tonhow the Boltagon Bros tick, and it especially made me understand Black Bolt more.

Fair warning, it is quite a bit weirder than modern Inhuman stuff, and the narration can get a bit abstract at times. Not quite Grant Morrison levels though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    That's the miniseries I was referring to, yes! It's noty favorite Medusa, but it really offers insight tonhow the Boltagon Bros tick, and it especially made me understand Black Bolt more.

Fair warning, it is quite a bit weirder than modern Inhuman stuff, and the narration can get a bit abstract at times. Not quite Grant Morrison levels though.
    Not my favorite Medusa, either, but she looked so beautiful and had such a fashion show. I loved the insight into Bolt and Maximus.

How old is Black Bolt? Does he age slower than normal humans and thus he looks much younger than he really is? Or does he age the same as regular humans?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    Getting into Inhumans now, and Black Bolt is my favorite (followed by Gorgon).

What are considered the best Black Bolt stories?
    Well, there's the Lee/jenkins inhumans series, there's also war of kings, but you'd have to read annihilation and annihilation conquest to properly understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    How old is Black Bolt? Does he age slower than normal humans and thus he looks much younger than he really is? Or does he age the same as regular humans?
    Even without Terrigenesis, the average Inhuman can live for a good 150 years.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Even without Terrigenesis, the average Inhuman can live for a good 150 years.
    However, like Wonder Woman, it appears he's the same age as he appears, as his first encounter with the decidedly less immortal Fantastic Four was not long after the above fight with Maximus.

BANNED

What are the odds that movie Black Bolt could appear in his ultimate form?

While I find it a clever take, I much prefer the 616 version, and the way it dripswith classic Kirbyness.

But Marvel Studios has done great things in Guardians with practical effects, so this version isn't ruled out.

They need to stay far away from Ultimate Medusa though.