Page 350 of 388 FirstFirst ... 250300340346347348349350351352353354360 ... LastLast
Results 5,236 to 5,250 of 5810
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I can't buy Clark being a total facade or farce. That dynamic doesn't make sense to me. He spent most of his life as Clark Kent, not as Kal-El or Superman. Even in the Silver Age/Superboy history I can't buy that Clark is a disguise since he spent most of his young life being raised by the Kent's.

Clark has to be a real person with a real personality. Otherwise why bother?
    This is the central point of the character to me. If Clark is not real, if Kal El has no psychological or emotional need that is fulfilled by being Clark, then there is no point to Clark existing in the first place. He has to be at the Planet because he wants to be there, because being a reporter and having the trappings of a normal life fulfills him in a way being part of the Justice League and saving the galaxy doesn't. The entire premise of Superman as a character falls apart the moment Clark Kent is dismissed as not being 'real.'

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

How about being an alien living in a society that doesn't treat being different lightly?Is that good enough reason for the glasses?
    "You have to hide your great strength or people will be afraid of you"

He needs a job as well..he writes decently.He isn't trying to save anything.He doesn't know what's normal life cause he never had one and he ain't normal.He just wants to be free like a bird in the sky or fish in the water.

"Yeah. I mean every time I get the football I can make a touchdown. Every time! I mean, is it showing off if somebody's doing the things he's capable of doing? Is a bird showing off when it flies?"

"No, no. Now, you listen to me. When you first came to us, we thought people would come and take you away because, when they found out, you know, the things you could do... and that worried us a lot. But then a man gets older, and he starts thinking differently and things get very clear. And one thing I do know, son, and that is you are here for a *reason*. I don't know whose reason, or whatever the reason is... Maybe it's because... uh... I don't know. But I do know one thing. It's *not* to score touchdowns. Huh?"
    Superman is taught to live in glasses..conditioned too..when he doesn't have too.He might be a superboy or superman but he ain't invincible.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-04-2022 at 03:07 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

Why does he need a job if he doesn't need to eat or drink, has a completely rent, tax, and mortgage free home with practically limitless space in his fortress, has all the friends he could ever need in the Justice League, and could date and marry Wonder Woman instead of a human he would always need to hold back around? Superman is beyond any material need that justifies getting a job, and he doesn't need a job to meet his social needs on a world where there is a justice league and even other Kryptonians like Kara.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    This is the central point of the character to me. If Clark is not real, if Kal El has no psychological or emotional need that is fulfilled by being Clark, then there is no point to Clark existing in the first place. He has to be at the Planet because he wants to be there, because being a reporter and having the trappings of a normal life fulfills him in a way being part of the Justice League and saving the galaxy doesn't. The entire premise of Superman as a character falls apart the moment Clark Kent is dismissed as not being 'real.'
    Being Clark gives him a real life. He doesn't want to be a public figure. Whether he needs to eat or not, he wants the option to go out for a burger without dealing with people wanting some Superman favor. He wants to have a social life outside of crime fighting. A night out with the guys that isn't comparing strategies for defeating Mongul or listening to Bruce recount that night in the alley for the 5000th time. To have a movie date rather than a date spent visiting ancient battlefields

Fantastic Member

Are people honestly suggesting that most of Superman's pre-Crisis adventures didn't mostly take place in Metropolis and involve his supporting cast? Despite his power level Superman has never really been a regular cosmic-level hero. Yeah, he did that from time to time. But I bet you if I choose say ten Action Comics and ten Superman comics at random from before Crisis the majority of them would see him dealing with problems in and around Metropolis and would have his supporting cast play a notable role.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I’m not suggesting that Metropolis wasn’t a constant setting, I’m suggesting that the best ideas and most influential concepts were more sci fi oriented rather than interpersonal. Classic Superman spends more time escaping Lois and sneaking out of the planet.

Fantastic Member

the Lois and Clark: "aviod her marrage traps" IS inerpersonal its just.... "1950's sexism, 10 year old audience gross girl cotties, we have a status quo that is working SO DON'T **** WITH IT." levels of interpersonal.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

And that’s probably why it wasn’t the most influential or interesting Superman comics. I don’t know any kids that bought Superman for the misogyny.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Why does he need a job if he doesn't need to eat or drink, has a completely rent, tax, and mortgage free home with practically limitless space in his fortress, has all the friends he could ever need in the Justice League, and could date and marry Wonder Woman instead of a human he would always need to hold back around? Superman is beyond any material need that justifies getting a job, and he doesn't need a job to meet his social needs on a world where there is a justice league and even other Kryptonians like Kara.
    Wonder Woman historically hasn't been interested. And vice versa.

That is until the ill-considered bad fan fictionesque Stu52

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Zack Snyder's DC films helped people overcome depressions and suicidal thoughts.

https://cinemacure.wordpress.com/201...-stories-here/

How Zack Snyder’s Superman Saved My Life.

https://***********/@AmandaKP/how-za...e-45ecfe806373
    Full disclosure: I am so sick of Zack Snyder or Henry Cavill dominating a conversation that should be about Superman. That you are posting about Zack's films (1st) with Superman being only the secondary part is exactly what is sad about the DCEU at the moment. The characters aren't driving the conversation; instead it is all about the talent. I do not like that. And Superman Returns should have provided everyone with ample evidence why that approach gives off a sulfur or methane stench.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Full disclosure: I am so sick of Zack Snyder or Henry Cavill dominating a conversation that should be about Superman. That you are posting about Zack's films (1st) with Superman being only the secondary part is exactly what is sad about the DCEU at the moment. The characters aren't driving the conversation; instead it is all about the talent. I do not like that. And Superman Returns should have provided everyone with ample evidence why that approach gives off a sulfur or methane stench.
    Again, I am not the one who brought up Snyder in the first place. As for him or Cavill "dominating the conversation", you can clearly see that is not the case here. I'm not even sure what the hell you mean about me making him secondary.

Frankly, the people who hate Snyder or Cavill are the ones who seem more obsessed with them. All I did was link to people who talked about how Superman movies helped with their depression, something I'd expect a Superman fan to be happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, I am not the one who brought up Snyder in the first place. As for him or Cavill "dominating the conversation", you can clearly see that is not the case here. I'm not even sure what the hell you mean about me making him secondary.

Frankly, the people who hate Snyder or Cavill are the ones who seem more obsessed with them. All I did was link to people who talked about how Superman movies helped with their depression, something I'd expect a Superman fan to be happy about.
    I think that is good. And I wish that was the core of the conversation. But with DC it doesn't seem to be. It is completely different from my experience with the Marvelous competition. The discussion of the movies and shows among fandom is driven by the characters and what's happened or going to happen. But here it is the Talent and that really worries me. I fear the iconic status of the characters has faded or is being eclipsed. I am vexed. It vexes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I think that is good. And I wish that was the core of the conversation. But with DC it doesn't seem to be. It is completely different from my experience with the Marvelous competition. The discussion of the movies and shows among fandom is driven by the characters and what's happened or going to happen. But here it is the Talent and that really worries me. I fear the iconic status of the characters has faded or is being eclipsed. I am vexed. It vexes me.
    I don't get that feeling. Just look at the conversations around the Dr. Strange, Black Panther or Thor sequels. A lot of that is about the directors. To say nothing of how much revolves around the actors playing these characters. Discussion about the talent behind these movies and shows goes hand in hand talk about the characters. That's been the case ever since I started participating in fandom.

People are always talking about how DC's characters are fading in popularity and their iconic status means nothing. It's been going on since the 90s at least. Personally, I think it's unjustified fear and there is little difference between discussions about the characters and the people writing or directing them. It's not like these characters write themselves.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-05-2022 at 04:43 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I can't buy Clark being a total facade or farce. That dynamic doesn't make sense to me. He spent most of his life as Clark Kent, not as Kal-El or Superman. Even in the Silver Age/Superboy history I can't buy that Clark is a disguise since he spent most of his young life being raised by the Kent's.

Clark has to be a real person with a real personality. Otherwise why bother?
    Which do you think leaves the greater impact? Steve Lombard talking down to Clark Kent or Batman talking down to Superman?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Being Clark gives him a real life. He doesn't want to be a public figure. Whether he needs to eat or not, he wants the option to go out for a burger without dealing with people wanting some Superman favor. He wants to have a social life outside of crime fighting. A night out with the guys that isn't comparing strategies for defeating Mongul or listening to Bruce recount that night in the alley for the 5000th time. To have a movie date rather than a date spent visiting ancient battlefields
    Exactly this. Kal's only interest in fame is how it can help people. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure if he could do what he does as Superman without it, he would.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.