Page 378 of 386 FirstFirst ... 278328368374375376377378379380381382 ... LastLast
Results 5,656 to 5,670 of 5790

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Wolverine: Origins is by far the Crassiest and Crappiest X-Movie IMHO
    It wasn't an R-rated comedy, which is my point.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Shows like Legion, and American Gods Found NA 20-something actresses. And Im preeety sure their reach/budget was less than this Movie.
    I think McLeod would have approved Amber as Dani even less...

I mean considering it was just the minority characters who were explicitly miscast,its unfair people are defending the fumbling of chars against their creators critiques.
    They had Native American actress to play Dani (admittably, she was not a Cheyenne) and a Brazilian actor to play Sunspot. I give them the benefit of a doubt and believe they picked the ones whom they thought as best actual actors from those who read for the part instead of having some sinister agenda. I mean, 25 years ago they would have just picked some flavour of the month white actress and dressed her up as a Native American...

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think McLeod would have approved Amber as Dani even less...
    Why do you think that?

They had Native American actress to play Dani (admittably, she was not a Cheyenne) and a Brazilian actor to play Sunspot.
    Yes barely. You might be late to the game.While it's true Sunspot and the actor are both Brazilian &Cecilia Reyes (Puerto Rican) and the actress are both Latina.
    Sunspot and CeCe Reyes are both.....BLACK
    The actors were not.
    I give them the benefit of a doubt and believe they picked the ones whom they thought as best actual actors from those who read for the part instead of having some sinister agenda.
    Why? When we know from Boone's own mouth this wasn't the case.

I mean, 25 years ago they would have just picked some flavour of the month white actress and dressed her up as a Native American...
    I mean is that not what they did With Blu? She was on some CW tv Show, and is "4th" native. except now with Social media they really played up her Native ancestry
    GrindrStone(D)

Why do you think that?
    She is super pale and looks even less like Dani than Hunt.

Yes barely. You might be late to the game.While it's true Sunspot and the actor are both Brazilian &Cecilia Reyes (Puerto Rican) and the actress are both Latina.
    Sunspot and CeCe Reyes are both.....BLACK
    The actors were not.
    Honestly, arguing about ethnically matching actor being 'wrong' for the role because skin colour is not dark enough is like saying Daniel Craig makes bad James Bond because his hair is not dark enough.

Why? When we know from Boone's own mouth this wasn't the case.
    Where did he say that?

She is super pale and looks even less like Dani than Hunt.
    Don't see how putting her in braids and a tanning bed she'd look less like Dani than Hunt. She has a bigger 'presence' than Hunt.+Her Native status is there from the jump. Devery Jacobs woulda been perfect wonder why she wasn't picked.

Honestly, arguing about ethnically matching actor being 'wrong' for the role because skin colour is not dark enough is like saying Daniel Craig makes bad James Bond because his hair is not dark enough.
    Honestly it's a futile argument as most of the people 'unbothered' by this, have ZERO clue the difference between nationality and ethnicity. Hence.......

Where did he say that?”
    When pressed about the anti-Black racism that is prevelant in Brazil, Boone said, “I didn’t care so much about the racism I’ve heard about in Brazil, about light-skinned versus dark-skinned. To me, it was I wanted to represent Brazil in a positive way and I wanted to find somebody who seems like he could look like a guy who’s had the silver spoon in his mouth, who has like a really rich dad and [Henry] just exemplified all these things.”
    But apparently his tone deafness is matched by a large percentage of fans.
    GrindrStone(D)

Don't see how putting her in braids and a tanning bed she'd look less like Dani than Hunt. She has a bigger 'presence' than Hunt.+Her Native status is there from the jump. Devery Jacobs woulda been perfect wonder why she wasn't picked.
    Dunno, but McLeod probably would have dismissed her as too short for the role, as he complained about Charlie Heaton.
    As for why Dani in the movie didn't have braids - I presume they maybe tried it and decided it wasn't a good look. I don't think it's very common hairstyle for Native American girls these days except maybe when combined with traditional dress?

Honestly it's a futile argument as most of the people 'unbothered' by this, have ZERO clue the difference between nationality and ethnicity. Hence.......
    I think it's even more common that people confuse skin color with ethnicity or race.

But apparently his tone deafness is matched by a large percentage of fans.
    In other words he didn't say anything what you claimed he did. He said that finding an actor who can portray being privileged was more important than matching exact skin tone (in fact, finding a Brazilian actor who looks like comic Sunspot would have been very hard).
    Also, portraying Henry Zaga as a 'white actor who enjoys white privilege' as some idiot tumblr'sts have done is REALLY stupid. In my country guys who look like him experience daily racism.

Dunno, but McLeod probably would have dismissed her as too short for the role, as he complained about Charlie Heaton.
    As for why Dani in the movie didn't have braids - I presume they maybe tried it and decided it wasn't a good look. I don't think it's very common hairstyle for Native American girls these days except maybe when combined with traditional dress?
    oh well girls rock the braids if their hair is long enough all the time
    I think it's even more common that people confuse skin color with ethnicity or race..
    Yeah maybebut thats not the case here. As per your post you seem to think race is as inconsequential to a persons ethnicity as hair color.

In other words he didn't say anything what you claimed he did. He said that finding an actor who can portray being privileged was more important than matching exact skin tone.
    By skin tone You mean race right? I wonder why he even auditioned non black actors for Sunspots role?? I can bet it wasnt so colorful in the casting lines of the other characters. One could argue being wealthy is a more aspect to the character than his race...Okay Ill agree....But being Brazilian is prob the most integral part of Sunspot and he gets that from his Fathers side who is also Black. casting Zaga just perpetuates the already lopsided way latinos are depicted in the media...and for what? Zaga barely had any lines in the movie And I think When he was talking to Cannonball while washing clothes is his wealth even discussed. So for those 7 or 8 minutes It was worth it? lol

(in fact, finding a Brazilian actor who looks like comic Sunspot would have been very hard)..
    Based on what? Considering over half of Brazialians identify as Afro-Brazilian or Moreno
    Also, portraying Henry Zaga as a 'white actor who enjoys white privilege' as some idiot tumblr'sts have done is REALLY stupid. In my country guys who look like him experience daily racism.
    Ooooh kay. Does Zaga live in your country? You know white doesnt have any nationality boundaries. That theres many races of Latinos
    GrindrStone(D)

oh well girls rock the braids if their hair is long enough all the time
    Yeah maybebut thats not the case here. As per your post you seem to think race is as inconsequential to a persons ethnicity as hair color.
    No...I just don't think skin colour is necessarily indicative of 'race'. Many of the Arctic natives are pale as snow, yet their 'race' is Asiatic. Vin Diesel identifies himself as a 'person of colour'. I think my skin is darker than his (admittably, some ppl would probably not classify me as 'white' but I digress).

Based on what? Considering over half of Brazialians identify as Afro-Brazilian or Moreno
    Sunspot, as he was originally drawn, had very dark skin but distinctly Latino features. His father was revealed to be Afro-Brazilian but his mother was white (pale redhead actually). Realistically, Roberto likely would not be as dark-skinned as his father (though mutants often seem to have unusual skin, eye and hair colours anyway). In real world, he would probably look like say, Neymar. Indeed some artists, especially those with more 3D-style, have drawn Sunspot with only slightly darker skin than his white teammates.
    Before anyone cries 'well those artists were whitewashing' lets not forget that sometimes skin and hair colours are also exaggarated for effect. Notice very red skin tone Dani and Warpath had in the '80s comics!

Now personally, I would prefer if the actors were a good visual match for the fictional characters they are meant to portray. I did not really fancy Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, for example (as much as I love her otherwise). But realistically, one has to accept that in real world casting there are compromises. For example lead actors of Cloak & Dagger series don't at all look like their comics original, other than one of them is white and one is black.

Are we seriously arguing over the whitewashing/race change/whatever the frak it was again? Is there anything else to add to that worn out thing?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Are we seriously arguing over the whitewashing/race change/whatever the frak it was again? Is there anything else to add to that worn out thing?
    Is there anything else talked about in this thread?...

BANNED

Just a poignant question, before I would re-write my X-Men Timeline:

What is Illyana Rasputin/Magik's background? Her story?

As once anticipated, in my scenario, "The New Mutants" is set in 2008 (Beginnings Trilogy Timeline). Henry Zaga and Adan Canto are supposed to play the very same character, at different stages. Illyana is Piotr's younger sister, and Piotr was 20 in 1999 (X2).
    The "LOGAN" movie is a parallel Earth, a What If story, and the New Mutants movie is the further proof that mutants are NOT extinct in the Beginnings Trilogy Timeline.
    Also, the Transigen-Alkali company never existed in the mainstream film universe, where ESSEX CORP is the enemy (as depicted by APOCALYPSE and THE NEW MUTANTS).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Just a poignant question, before I would re-write my X-Men Timeline:

What is Illyana Rasputin/Magik's background? Her story?

As once anticipated, in my scenario, "The New Mutants" is set in 2008 (Beginnings Trilogy Timeline). Henry Zaga and Adan Canto are supposed to play the very same character, at different stages. Illyana is Piotr's younger sister, and Piotr was 20 in 1999 (X2).
    The "LOGAN" movie is a parallel Earth, a What If story, and the New Mutants movie is the further proof that mutants are NOT extinct in the Beginnings Trilogy Timeline.
    Also, the Transigen-Alkali company never existed in the mainstream film universe, where ESSEX CORP is the enemy (as depicted by APOCALYPSE and THE NEW MUTANTS).
    Her story is she was kidnapped at a very young age by child traffickers and abused physically and almost certainly sexually for years. During the abuse she would retreat into a fantasy world she created in her mind. When she became old enough for her mutant power to awaken she could turn that fantasy world into a real place and with her powers she was able to kill all of her captors and tormentors. Anything more than that is completely unknown. It's implied that she has some sort of connection to supernatural forces but no explanation whatsoever is given for that or for her sword or where or how she'd have picked up that kind of ability.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Her story is she was kidnapped at a very young age by child traffickers and abused physically and almost certainly sexually for years. During the abuse she would retreat into a fantasy world she created in her mind. When she became old enough for her mutant power to awaken she could turn that fantasy world into a real place and with her powers she was able to kill all of her captors and tormentors. Anything more than that is completely unknown. It's implied that she has some sort of connection to supernatural forces but no explanation whatsoever is given for that or for her sword or where or how she'd have picked up that kind of ability.
    This is very interesting. And fascinating.
    I GUESS her powers are supernatural, otherwise I must think that she can warp reality on a molecular level, and that would make her a Phoenix-level mutant. Am I right?

Mighty Member

Wow.....comparing hair color to a person's race.

Based on this guy's logic anyone can change their race the same way hair color can be changed on whim.

So Me Ikari....if you are gonna change your hair color tomorrow morning, would you be able to change your race too? After all it only takes a coat of dye, right....and whaabaam you are suddenly a native Chinese person, right?

Based on your logic, ...I mean.....what's all the hullabollu about civil rights and racial equality when race and ethnicity is as interchangable as hair color.

Do you even have the slightest inkling of what blacks go though and have been through in Brazil? And you are here applauding for the one afro-beazilian superhero to be whitewashed..

No...I just don't think skin colour is necessarily indicative of 'race'. Many of the Arctic natives are pale as snow, yet their 'race' is Asiatic. Vin Diesel identifies himself as a 'person of colour'. I think my skin is darker than his (admittably, some ppl would probably not classify me as 'white' but I digress)..
    In America where New Mutants is published and where most of its readers live, You'd be hard pressed to find a dark skinned person who wouldnt be considered black

Sunspot, as he was originally drawn, had very dark skin but distinctly Latino features. His father was revealed to be Afro-Brazilian but his mother was white (pale redhead actually). .
    Okay it seems you're just pulling these facts outta thin air.... Here is Bobby in the issue he debutedWhere are his distinct Latino features? considering his mom is American...where would these distinct Latino features come from? That's right his Black dad,What even are distinct Latino features? As Latino is more of a culturally description rather than racial one. But yeah you're right curly hair, full lips, wider nose...totally Latino features
    Realistically, Roberto likely would not be as dark-skinned as his father (though mutants often seem to have unusual skin, eye and hair colours anyway).
    In real world, he would probably look like say, Neymar. Indeed some artists, especially those with more 3D-style, have drawn Sunspot with only slightly darker skin than his white teammates..
    Why would he look like a person who is 1/4 black over one who's 1/2 black??? The way Sunspot when he debuted is not an unusual skin tone. Numerous biracial kids are born with darker skin than what is normally shown in the media as Biracial.
    Before anyone cries 'well those artists were whitewashing' lets not forget that sometimes skin and hair colours are also exaggarated for effect. Notice very red skin tone Dani and Warpath had in the '80s comics!
    I mean I dont see how you could call it anything else. Also I would hardly call Dani and Warpath's skin 'red' It was definitely a different hue than their white teammates. But I don't remember reading ANYWHERE stating Sunspot's color was 'exaggerated' But I have seen people ignore his debut, seen people try and argue with his CREATOR, about what skin color he should have. The defense of his whitewashing is astounding...and veeeery telling

But realistically, one has to accept that in real world casting there are compromises.
    LIke I mentioned earlier Its not really realistic that in a country that has the largest black population outside of the African continent There was no actor good enough to handle the maaaaaaaybe 40 minutes Sunspot had screen time.
    City of God had millions and millions and millions less for their budget than New Mutants, yet were able to find numerous black Brazilians to fill out the cast,

and ultimately leading the film to stellar performances while New Mutants limp Zaga leaves a lot to be desired

For example lead actors of Cloak & Dagger series don't at all look like their comics original, other than one of them is white and one is black.

Eh They look pretty recognizable to me.
    Which is more than I can say about the casting choices of Sunspot, when seeing group pics of the Cast many fans were confused/surprised that he had been chosen as Sunspot.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Apparently I'm calling it here first....
    Shenanigans!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    Is there anything else talked about in this thread?...
    Well Theres always joining in on the people who complain what's being talked about in a thread.
    GrindrStone(D)