Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What's a good end point for Wolfman's New Teen Titans?

I have a student that is super into Teen Titans in all their many, many varieties, so we're going to start Wolfman & Perez's New Teen Titans. However, I know this franchise did run out of steam and got pretty bad near the end, particularly after Perez left. I would like to avoid that and go out on a high note.

My memories of the Wolfman/Perez are hazy, so my first thought would be to stop at the end of the Judas Contract, but maybe that's too early. Anyone have any ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Hard to say but I would skip out before "Titans Hunt" (New Titans #70) and maybe read "New Teen Titans: Games" instead.

I agree with Aahz that it’s hard to say. For a high note, maybe #6 of the 1984 series when they’re treated as heroes after defeating Trigon. But they’re going to want to read on if they’re big into Raven.

If someone asked me for a recommended jumping off point, I would say The Darkening, which started with #97, or #115 (Arsenal’s team).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I agree with Aahz that it’s hard to say. For a high note, maybe #6 of the 1984 series when they’re treated as heroes after defeating Trigon.
    This would be my answer. Stop before Crisis On Infinite Earths begins. Plus, when George Perez left the book, Wolfman admitted he suffered from writer's block. The stories are pretty bland from this point forward.

New Teen Titans was definitely a team effort from Wolfman and Perez. Once Perez left, it was never the same again. Even when Perez came back shortly in #50 for the "Who Is Wonder Girl" storyline, it had lost it's magic IMO.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There is definitely a drop off in quality that is noticeable when Perez leaves after Trigon, though the book is still pretty good for a few arcs after that and wraps up some plot threads. Particularly pertaining to Raven and Starfire on Tamaran.

I think I would recommend stopping after the issues collected in this upcoming volume, it wraps up the Raven/Brother Blood stuff: https://www.amazon.com/New-Teen-Tita...s=books&sr=1-2

Basically jump ship before Donna's origin starts to get tweaked and Danny Chase shows up. Azrael unfortunately can't be avoided with this though lol

Thanks for the help. So, Perez left after the Brother Blood storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Thanks for the help. So, Perez left after the Brother Blood storyline?
    No, he actually left after the Trigon arc that started the Baxter series (New Teen Titans Vol. 2 #1-5). A couple other artists take over, briefly Jose Luis Garcia Lopez for one arc and then Edardo Barreto. Both of whom are very good (especially Lopez) but it's not quite the same. But the storylines wrap up pretty well with the Brother Blood arc that finishes with #31.

Extraordinary Member

When evil Raven interrupts Dick and Kory’s wedding to make out with Starfire.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No, he actually left after the Trigon arc that started the Baxter series (New Teen Titans Vol. 2 #1-5). A couple other artists take over, briefly Jose Luis Garcia Lopez for one arc and then Edardo Barreto. Both of whom are very good (especially Lopez) but it's not quite the same. But the storylines wrap up pretty well with the Brother Blood arc that finishes with #31.
    Yeah, I'd generally agree with SiegePerilous02, but would run it out a couple of more issues of the Baxter series. The run up to 31 also included a running story about Mento and his Hybrid that didn't conclude until issue 34. That makes for a pretty clean cut point IMO.

Astonishing Member

The final Perez story from his first run. I know he came back later to do another Donna Troy story, but by then -- the book had lost all steam.

Without George, I don't think New Teen Titans would ever have been a hit.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The final Perez story from his first run. I know he came back later to do another Donna Troy story, but by then -- the book had lost all steam.

Without George, I don't think New Teen Titans would ever have been a hit.
    Probably not, it it also probably wouldn't have been as good without Wolfman. I guess even collaborations have a lifespan to them, but the two of them were pretty much magic back in 1980.

Yeah, it was definitely lightning in a bottle. They were a match made in heaven and it wouldn't quite be the same without either one.

I'm more inclined to lean towards Perez as the more key player though. I think his own work on Wonder Woman was stronger than some of Wolfman's post-Perez NTT work. A lot of Wolfman's creations that weren't co-created by Perez (Kole, Azrael, Danny Chase) are noticeably weaker than the main NTT crew (plus Terra and Jericho).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think that Donna Troy origin is still ok considering they were the ones who were executing it. It is better than all of the other tweaks to her origin. But still inferior to the pre-COIE setup, and I think even they would agree. Wolfman has expressed dislike of all Donna's post-COIE tweaks.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I disagree with Wolfman's run going bad immediately after Perez left. It was still really good. Granted, I still never finished Perez's run but I think a perfect drop off point would be Volume 2 #39 if you 're worried about the quality. I do think the stories after #39 did drop off.

I think it also depended on who the artist was.

I remember it being a chore to read the book when Bill Jaaska drew it. But post-Perez, I did enjoy Tom Grummet's work and the stories that went with it, and it got better as it went along.

Of course, the Perez years were the best of the series, but still some good stuff to be had after.

Also, if your student is a fan of everything-Titans, have him check out the original Silver Age Teen Titans by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy. A lot of it is available in trade, and it's a very fun comic with great Cardy art.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Also, if your student is a fan of everything-Titans, have him check out the original Silver Age Teen Titans by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy. A lot of it is available in trade, and it's a very fun comic with great Cardy art.
    We just read Wolfman & Kane's "Wonder Girl finally gets an origin and a new costume" issue a few weeks ago.