0 0%
  • Fabien Nicieza

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Who Is The Best Robin Writer?

From the first ongoing from 1993-2009

Chuck followed by Fabien for me

I voted Dixon because he's the most consistent and has the most number of issues under his belt. His run isn't perfect and his tendency to get bored of plotlines and just drop them is annoying - but he managed to keep me hooked for 100 issues, which is an achievement in of itself.

Jon Lewis was the second best. He had no interest in writing Tim's civilian life, but he compensated with good adventure writing and a better Stephanie than we got from Dixon, I feel. Wish he got more issues. Third place is Nicieza for me. He only had eight issues, but they were very promising. A promise that would later be fulfilled in the Red Robin series, which shows that Nicieza has a good handle on Tim's characterisation. Wish he had more issues too.

Beechen is somewhere in the middle. Of course the OYL Cassandra stuff is terribad, but overall I ended up not hating his run. Still not great by my standards, simply average in the end. Willingham is all over the place quality wise. I can't really place his run. He has some highs, but also some definite lows (the Darla Aquista stuff comes to mind). Hard to place him, but Dixon is the overall winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    I voted Dixon because he's the most consistent and has the most number of issues under his belt. His run isn't perfect and his tendency to get bored of plotlines and just drop them is annoying - but he managed to keep me hooked for 100 issues, which is an achievement in of itself.

Jon Lewis was the second best. He had no interest in writing Tim's civilian life, but he compensated with good adventure writing and a better Stephanie than we got from Dixon, I feel. Wish he got more issues. Third place is Nicieza for me. He only had eight issues, but they were very promising. A promise that would later be fulfilled in the Red Robin series, which shows that Nicieza has a good handle on Tim's characterisation. Wish he had more issues too.

Beechen is somewhere in the middle. Of course the OYL Cassandra stuff is terribad, but overall I ended up not hating his run. Still not great by my standards, simply average in the end. Willingham is all over the place quality wise. I can't really place his run. He has some highs, but also some definite lows (the Darla Aquista stuff comes to mind). Hard to place him, but Dixon is the overall winner for me.
    Yeah this post pretty much sums my thougths, i personally think that Dixon run took a dip in quality after No Man's Land but i liked it enought to keep reading.

Lewis was fun, but his plots were really a bid weird. Still decent enougth.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Definitely Chuck Dixon. Not just for how he wrote Tim, but Dick as Robin in Robin Year One and various flashbacks.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

1. Dixon

There is no legit #2. Nicieza’s run was pretty solid. Beechen’s would have been ok but for the annoying Cassandra Cain stuff. Willingham started off well but fundamentally did not “get” Tim IMO. Lewis’ stuff was a low point IMO.
    Cheers - CL

NOTE: This thread was started towards the end of December 2020.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    From the first ongoing from 1993-2009
    Twenty people have voted. All 20 voted for Chuck Dixon.

Of course is Chuck Dixon.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Who made Batman kidnap Jason and fired Dick in Nightwing Year One? Not that one
    Okay so Dixon's out... who's next...

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Clean sweep for Dixon.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    1. Dixon

There is no legit #2. Nicieza’s run was pretty solid. Beechen’s would have been ok but for the annoying Cassandra Cain stuff. Willingham started off well but fundamentally did not “get” Tim IMO. Lewis’ stuff was a low point IMO.
    How did Bill Willingham not "get" Tim? I think he was the best writer on the title next to Chuck Dixon. He had a good handle on humor, I really enjoyed his use of supernatural elements, and his issues of Stephanie Brown as Robin were one of the few good things to come out of War Games. Also the art by Damian Scot in my opinion was the best the book ever looked.

Jon Lewis's Robin on the other hand... might be the strangest modern Batman run ever made. A cult was cannibalizing a kid with a healing factor. Spoiler possibly got molested as a child. Tim's stepmon dressed like a valkyrie. Just... wtf.

But Chuck Dixon is disputedly the best Robin writer. He reinvented the book multiple times over the course of 100 issues and every single era I found compelling.

I voted for Bill Willingham, but my favourite Robin writer was Doug Moench writing the pre-Crisis Jason Todd in Batman and Detective Comics.

NOTE: This thread was started towards the end of December 2020.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

With 32 people having voted,
    * Chuck Dixon = 31 votes
    * Bill Willingham = 1 vote

By the way, I also liked the Robin (Dick) stories in Batman Family back in the 1970s, some of which were written by Bob Rozakis.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Voted for Dixon (of course)

But, how is Morrison not in contention for this?

Morrison pretty much continued what had ended from the Robin solo title

Voted Fabian Nicezia since I enjoyed his Red Robin run a few years back.

Almost voted for Dixon but I kind of knew he was going to take the lead on this.