Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Yet, still a better mentor to Wallace than Barry. He shot straight it with him, gave him somewhere to belong when Damian put him out, and gave him the experience and cynicism needed to be a more competent individual, as opposed to Barry who (despite my love for the character) rarely ever could get it together mentoring Wallace. In the rankings of Wallace's mentors

1. Meena
    2. Slade
    3. Wally (very limited interactions and only gave him one real lesson)
    4. Himself
    5. Barry

But as I said earlier, this could very much just be indicative of the competence of the writers when handling the character. Priest tends to write a more compelling Wallace as opposed to Williamson who for whatever reason just doesn't seem to have the voice for Wallace that doesn't come off stereotypical and/or angsty.
    Although his first interaction with Wallace was lying and manipulating him .

I think, rather then ranking them, each mentor Wallace has had have taught him something in his road to becoming a hero.

Meena taught him how to control his powers when he first started out.

Slade taught him new ways to apply his powers and about the "real" world.

Wally taught him to believe in himself and what it means to be Kid Flash.

Barry taught him what it means to be a hero.

Astonishing Member

Yet, still a better mentor to Wallace than Barry. I mean, Slade definitely had his own motives and wasn't the most loving/supporting but, as an anti-villain, he was the perfect mentor for someone as lost as Wallace was at the time. He shot straight it with him, gave him somewhere to belong when Damian put him out, and gave him the experience and cynicism needed to be a more competent individual; as opposed to Barry who (despite my love for the character) rarely ever could get it together mentoring Wallace. I mean, it says a lot that Wallace still has yet to NEED Barry since leaving to do his own thing. Imo, in the rankings of Wallace's mentors it's:

1. Meena (far and away his best mentor)
    2. Slade
    3. Himself (particularly since joining with the Teen Titans)
    4. Barry

But as I said earlier, this could very much just be indicative of the competence of the writers when handling the character. Priest tends to write a more compelling Wallace as opposed to Williamson who for whatever reason just doesn't seem to have the voice for Wallace that doesn't come off stereotypical and/or angsty.
    Slade is not a better mentor than Barry, man. He's a fucking horrible monster who was using them to suffocate his own self loathing. At least when Barry teaches people it's in the end goal of helping them for helping them's sake. Slade's team was none of that.

And, again, he has absolutely no place in this conversation. I'm not even sure why it's been brought up when he clearly doesn't qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although his first interaction with Wallace was lying and manipulating him .

I think, rather then ranking them, each mentor Wallace has had have taught him something in his road to becoming a hero.

Meena taught him how to control his powers when he first started out.

Slade taught him new ways to apply his powers and about the "real" world.

Wally taught him to believe in himself and what it means to be Kid Flash.

Barry taught him what it means to be a hero.
    I never said he was the perfect mentor but still, technically, it's a great first lesson about the world he's in a hero

I agree, I do think each mentor taught him a valuable lesson but I think Barry taught Wallace the idea of a hero and what THAT means more than what it takes to be a hero. The way I see it, Barry taught him more about what it means to actually be a hero, for himself [Wallace], failing as a mentor more than he did when he was actively trying to mentor him. Meena was the tender hand he needed to guide him when he first acquired his powers and i would say she inspired him personally more than Barry (not as The Flash) in a way. However, I would say under Slade's wing he learned consequences, he learned practicality, to trust his instincts, to think things through. I think his time with Slade (just by virtue of his moral-ambiguity) is what informs him the most currently; epecially considering how the "upright" mentors let him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Slade is not a better mentor than Barry, man. He's a fucking horrible monster who was using them to suffocate his own self loathing. At least when Barry teaches people it's in the end goal of helping them for helping them's sake. Slade's team was none of that.

And, again, he has absolutely no place in this conversation. I'm not even sure why it's been brought up when he clearly doesn't qualify.
    Believe what you want dude, if Slade doesn't qualify for you then I can't say I believe Barry qualifies in regards to Wallace, Wally sure, but definitely not Wallace. Don't have a cow, man. Also, dude you wanna talk self-loathing, self-loathing is Barry Allen's middle name. C'mon son.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Retired

I can never forget that Deathstroke abused an underage girl. He will never be a hero to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I can never forget that Deathstroke abused an underage girl. He will never be a hero to me.
    I can never forget that Wolfman tried to justify all the crimes Deathstroke committed and pretend that he was a misunderstood antihero/anti-villain.

I agree, I do think each mentor taught him a valuable lesson but I think Barry taught Wallace the idea of a hero and what THAT means more than what it takes to be a hero. The way I see it, Barry taught him more about what it means to actually be a hero, for himself [Wallace], failing as a mentor more than he did when he was actively trying to mentor him. Meena was the tender hand he needed to guide him when he first acquired his powers and i would say she inspired him personally more than Barry (not as The Flash) in a way. However, I would say under Slade's wing he learned consequences, he learned practicality, to trust his instincts, to think things through. I think his time with Slade (just by virtue of his moral-ambiguity) is what informs him the most currently; epecially considering how the "upright" mentors let him down.
    Honestly, I'd say Barry taught Wallace those things as well, just in different ways. Like, trusting his instincts and thinking things through came up a few times during Williamson's run with Barry and Wallace.

I don't think Barry "failed" Wallace in so much as they just seem to constantly end up clashing no matter what Barry does. When they get along, they seem to get along well, but Wallace always seems to find something that makes him hate Barry again.
    Believe what you want dude, if Slade doesn't qualify for you then I can't say I believe Barry qualifies in regards to Wallace, Wally sure, but definitely not Wallace. Don't have a cow, man. Also, dude you wanna talk self-loathing, self-loathing is Barry Allen's middle name. C'mon son.
    That is a very depressing view of Barry Allen that I unfortunately think is supported by how Williamson writes him .

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I can never forget that Wolfman tried to justify all the crimes Deathstroke committed and pretend that he was a misunderstood antihero/anti-villain.
    Which is rather ironic, given that the story that put Deathstroke on the map and stands as one of the most important stories Marv ever did for DC is "The Judas Contract."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Which is rather ironic, given that the story that put Deathstroke on the map and stands as one of the most important stories Marv ever did for DC is "The Judas Contract."
    Yeah. At times I wondered if Deathstroke was Wolfman's second self insert since he went out of his way to make excuses for every bad thing he did.