Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Spider-Man and Batman have a ton of great suit variants so while I acknowledge that the trunks will probably always show up now and again, I love artists adding more suit variants for Superman. I liked the Godfall suit and the Return to Krypton suits because of how they changed the color scheme even if I didn’t want them as permanent changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You liked the lines? Even more than the collar those things drove me crazy. What was the point of them?
    I actually did. Not the sheer amount there were in the beginning, but when they were reduced, I liked the ones that were left. To me they just looked like little designs on the fabric. Like the shield outlines on the shoulders. And while its not the only way or maybe not even the best way to do it, they did make the illusion of texture. If it were me, though, I would have replaced the entire design with the black Krypton outfit he briefly wore during his Return to Krypton story. It got rid of the garish collar, for one. Just replace it with the classic colors, and I think the lines there, with that reflection effect, as Rocafort drew them, looked like solar panels. And I would have said that's exactly what they were and what they were for: they absorbed solar power into the suit itself similiarly to how Superman's body absorbed the energy. Backup battery.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Just a reminder:

It still exists .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The top one is reborn suit. Bottom isn't. It is from young justice.

Retired

I vote for the Superman birthday suit.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The top one is reborn suit. Bottom isn't. It is from young justice.
    It's kind of inspired by the Rebirth suit though.

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Take into consideration his weakness to magic, for example, a well trained Shazam or Black Adam can mess him up pretty good with lightning. Shouldn't he have a Kryptonian suit to fight that? Instead he shows up with red undies and gets smoked lol.
    Going by that logic, though, Batman should constantly be in his TDK armor. Superman can get messed up by Kryptonite, too - should he constantly wear that anti-Kryptonite space suit he had in the DCAU? No. Because that's contrary to who Superman is and how he generally operates. A lack of red "undies" isn't going to fix the magix problem - and Superman doesn't get "smoked" by Black Adam, usually he either wins or puts up a good fight. Besides, Batman in the first two Arkham games had blue-black armor panties and I didn't see people b*+C#!ng about them then. So that's a faulty point on several fronts.

And besides, there are ways to protect against magic that have nothing to do with the clothes he has on.

While I've enjoyed the Rebirth and Reborn costumes, all this smacks of the whole "the character is the problem" that DC still hasn't totally shaken off their psychological makeup. After several decades of that, I must confess to not having a lot of patience for the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    This was really something along the lines of what I think about the return of the classic costume. After they switched back we saw Wolverine get the Byrne costume largely discarded in 1992, Cap America revert back to classic, and the Batman, king of superheroes, went pre 52 with his own trunks right next door. But Superman gets no credit.
    Ikr?

The classic costume has that juxtaposition you mention, but there's also a cool element of the artist perspective being lost to time. The design doesn't make sense to modern readers and that's pretty interesting.
    Agreed here, too. It's kinda like Jughead's hat still being in the "Riverdale" TV show in some form: it's existence is from a long since bygone era of fashion (https://onezero.medium.com/the-parad...t-db424bd66dc4), but now that the context is gone, it simply belongs to him. And on some level, we (and DC) should take the fact that it's Superman who bears the brunt and turn it on it's head: something like "They're his because they belong to him. Don't like it? It's you who doesn't get it." If I was running DC, that'd be the answer to every version of the "why the trunks?" question from morning to night.
    Last edited by JAK; 09-17-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the Reborn suit - I liked it (and the Rebirth suit) quite a bit... but nothing beats the original.

And Batman even got his little Bat-panties back (which I say only because this never seems to get thrown at Batman), so it seems to be back in fashion ("in universe," anyway).
    Disagree, this does get thrown Batman's way too. I know I hate the Bat-panties just as much as the Super-undies.

Yeah Batman's trunks returning got a bit of blowback. It doesn't get as much as Superman though because one, he had lost them before. 2011 was the first time ever that a mainstream Superman had a costume design without them. 2, Batman's color scheme makes the trunks less noticeable a lot of the time. They're only really noticeable when the pallette is the light blue and light gray. Then there's more of a contrast, but that scheme is rarely used anymore.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disagree, this does get thrown Batman's way too. I know I hate the Bat-panties just as much as the Super-undies.
    That's a fairly recent development. But even so, I've yet to see it at the "en masse" levels that Superman sees it, and has seen it for decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah Batman's trunks returning got a bit of blowback. It doesn't get as much as Superman though because one, he had lost them before. 2011 was the first time ever that a mainstream Superman had a costume design without them. 2, Batman's color scheme makes the trunks less noticeable a lot of the time. They're only really noticeable when the pallette is the light blue and light gray. Then there's more of a contrast, but that scheme is rarely used anymore.
    Here's the crazy part: I've seen the light blue and grey used in product placement along with the New52 Superman and Wonder Woman. How messed up is that?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Hey I'd be all for it personally, I love that classic look.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Hey I'd be all for it personally, I love that classic look.
    Oh, same - I just thought it was hilarious seeing a candy company use that Batman with such a different Superman and Wonder Woman in the same line of product (with different art styles, too - it was really weird/jarring looking).
    Last edited by JAK; 09-17-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You liked the lines? Even more than the collar those things drove me crazy. What was the point of them?
    It depends on who drew it.
    Mikel Janín drew it pretty well in Superman #51 and Superman #52

Like this,the lines can convey the texture without it looking busy.

I have made jokes about his trunks even when i was a kid. And i still liked them as a kid. Personally i am fine with or without trunks, even though i prefer the trunks.

I haven't read Smallville. So, before this i thought Reborn suit was the best change. Imo the better idea is to have multiple costumes. Take a leaf out of Batman's book. (Or at least when he used to be high most of the time).

Among modern writers why is it that only Morrison comes out with the best ideas? Even after he got the costume, he used to wear the T-shirt and jeans when tackling more street level stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I vote for the Superman birthday suit.
    That will suit the Black Label. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    That will suit the Black Label. Lol.
    After the blowback from Batpenis? I think not!