Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Marc Guggenheim Takes Over X-Men in August

From IGN:

X-MEN #18

NEW CREATIVE TEAM! And a new mission for the first all-female team of X-MEN…

• S.W.O.R.D. is Earth’s premiere counterterrorism and intelligence agency when it comes to dealing with extraterrestrial threats.

• But when the ferocious Shi’Ar warrior Deathbird lands on their doorstep at the brink of death, S.W.O.R.D. calls in the X-MEN to investigate!

• But are the X-Men equipped to handle the horrific new threat that’s emerged from the edge of space?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Let's just remember that this is the guy who had Wolverine regenerate from his adamantium skeleton post CW.

Good news for Rachel fans though:

Guggenheim: Hmm... You know, I would say a lot of the story's emotional core comes from Rachel. One of the other things I wanted to do was something that I don't think they really had as much of an opportunity to deal with in X-Men: Kingbreaker was the idea that -- and I guess it was Chris Claremont's third run on Uncanny X-Men -- the Shi'ar Empire was basically responsible for the deaths of all of Rachel's family. I wanted to come up with a story -- all the stories that I pitched to Mike and Dan, I wanted them all to have an emotional through line, so that, in addition to cool set pieces and fun plot, there would be a real, emotional anchor to each of these stories.

For the space story, Rachel and her family history is a big part of her, a big part of the story that deals a lot with themes of vengeance and how one honors the memory of their fallen family. So Rachel's very much at the core.

I would say, as far as the character that's most fun to write, probably Jubilee. I always tend to gravitate and have the most fun with the characters that have a sense of humor to them.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 05-09-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Let's just remember that this is the guy who had Wolverine regenerate from his adamantium skeleton post CW.
    And the guy who wrote the waste of tree pulp that was "Young X-Men". No thank you, I won't be picking this book back up. I wonder where Wood's being shuffled off to.

Astonishing Member

I had forgotten about Young X-Men, but I guess Marvel is trying to capitalize on that Arrow popularity. Either that or Guggenheim may be the best comic pitchman this side of Bendis? Millar?

I was just getting into Wood's book and now he is leaving. Guggenheim is hit or miss.

Astonishing Member

Somehow I doubt Wood is getting a new book after this though.

Marvel has brought in quite a number of fresh writers. I don't think Wood would bring anything to the table that those new folks can't.

Hope Clay Mann isn't leaving as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Somehow I doubt Wood is getting a new book after this though.

Marvel has brought in quite a number of fresh writers. I don't think Wood would bring anything to the table that those new folks can't.
    Maybe they're transitioning him onto an X-Kid book. I hope not, but it seems most likely. It's not like sales on X-Men have sucked and he seems to have a following. Seems rather abrupt to ditch him.

I like the potential of seeing Brand again. Never got to read that SWORD series unfortunately, but I thought she was awesome during Whedons run.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Hope Clay Mann isn't leaving as well.
    He said on his tumblr yesterday that he is leaving the book and Marvel for a bit after issue 14.

http://clay-mann.tumblr.com/post/851...uties-on-x-men

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Maybe they're transitioning him onto an X-Kid book. I hope not, but it seems most likely. It's not like sales on X-Men have sucked and he seems to have a following. Seems rather abrupt to ditch him.
    This year is the 20th anniversary of Generation X which he wrote for a while....your theory is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    This year is the 20th anniversary of Generation X which he wrote for a while....your theory is pretty good.
    I think Marts said they're not doing anything with the GenX crew until 2015, though. So it'd have to be something a little more timely than that.

Astonishing Member

He said on his tumblr yesterday that he is leaving the book and Marvel for a bit after issue 14.

That's kind of a big deal.

I wonder where he's going to be at DC?

I only know Marc Guggenheim from Young X-Men, that was very bad but maybe he'll be better at writing adults.

Worst news.

Brian Wood responded https://twitter.com/brianwood/status/464809882479521793

According to Wood, he left the title on his own terms
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501