Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I am kind of over the rockstar/singer thing as well (and am all for there being a Black Canary legacy again).
    I mean I wouldn’t hate it if her mom was just reintroduced to the JSA as pre-flashpoint and she decided to become a rockstar at first, personally I really liked the rockstar solo series and would be fine if that aspect was kept.

I mean her mother wouldn’t let her be a superhero, maybe she rebelled as a rockstar first. It wouldn’t be that ridiculous.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-21-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, but the stage magician aesthetic is much more a part of Zatanna's character then singing is for Dinah (and I realize I am saying this about a character who's superpower is based around her voice).
    It fits with the biker aesthetic they're leaning into as well. It meshes pretty decently overall, though I think Dinah should always be more of a local/indie talent as opposed to a major touring musician. Her act should probably be big in the tri-state scene at most.

I'm down with them bringing her florist career back as something she and Ollie transition to later in life. That's fine.

Dinah's mother, however, needs to be restored.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean I wouldn’t hate it if her mom was just reintroduced to the JSA as pre-flashpoint and she decided to become a rockstar at first, personally I really liked the rockstar solo series and would be fine if that aspect was kept.

I mean her mother wouldn’t let her be a superhero, maybe she rebelled as a rockstar first. It wouldn’t be that ridiculous.
    I liked the series as well, but it didn't feel very definitive Black Canary to me. More like an indie or original take on Dinah. But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It fits with the biker aesthetic they're leaning into as well. It meshes pretty decently overall, though I think Dinah should always be more of a local/indie talent as opposed to a major touring musician. Her act should probably be big in the tri-state scene at most.

I'm down with them bringing her florist career back as something she and Ollie transition to later in life. That's fine.

Dinah's mother, however, needs to be restored.
    I mean, I don't look at her look and thing "punk rocker" but I guess they used it as an excuse to wear her costume (even though she only wore the normal look once or twice) so there must be something there.

I think she'd rather fight crime then go on tour...

I liked the series as well, but it didn't feel very definitive Black Canary to me. More like an indie or original take on Dinah. But that's just me.

I mean, I don't look at her look and thing "punk rocker" but I guess they used it as an excuse to wear her costume (even though she only wore the normal look once or twice) so there must be something there.

I think she'd rather fight crime then go on tour...
    I think "biker" more than punk rock, but it fits. And I agree, she would, but if other heroes have enough time to do both I don't see why Dinah can't. Hell, bring her mom back as a florist who eventually retires and Dinah takes over the family shop. Works fine.

Otto Schmidt is the best! Look at all the Dinahs!
    EcvL_HGXYAAlreJ.jpg
    Original here: https://twitter.com/OttoSchmidt72/st...867490816?s=20
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Get yourself an artist who loves you like Otto Schmidt loves Black Canary.

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Otto Schmidt is the best! Look at all the Dinahs!
    EcvL_HGXYAAlreJ.jpg
    Original here: https://twitter.com/OttoSchmidt72/st...867490816?s=20
    Honestly this may sound odd but my favorite costumes have always been the era of Chuck Dixon Birds of Prey and David Goyer/Early Geoff Johns JSA uniform.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The man really loves Dinah and loves drawing her. I can't complain .

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly this may sound odd but my favorite costumes have always been the era of Chuck Dixon Birds of Prey and David Goyer/Early Geoff Johns JSA uniform.
    Not odd at all!

That's also my favorite look, with Gary Frank's original pantsless version slightly edging out the later pantsed one.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If couples in America loved each other like Otto loves Dinah, we'd never know what divorce is!

Looking at Otto's big "every costume ever" piece here....second row, right in the middle, the one with the trench coat....I forgot all about that costume but damn I do like that one a lot. Really just the Simone BoP era costume with the leotard that zips up to the neck, I'm down with all the variations on that look we've seen.

I like the early JSA/Dixon Birds version too. That's the costume she wore when I really found out who she was, but it's too "super hero-y" for me.

I still like the DCYOU approach where Dinah doesn't have a costume, but wears a theme. Works for Harley, it'd work for Dinah, and it'd allow artists to pull out just about any costume she's ever had, or make new ones, without it having to be a big deal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I still like the DCYOU approach where Dinah doesn't have a costume, but wears a theme. Works for Harley, it'd work for Dinah, and it'd allow artists to pull out just about any costume she's ever had, or make new ones, without it having to be a big deal.
    Quinn has a relatively standard look though, so there's only so much a "theme" can carry you in terms of costuming in my opinion.

I liked the original BoP look but it just doesn't cut as dynamic or memorable a strut as the traditional Black Canary look.

Quinn has a relatively standard look though, so there's only so much a "theme" can carry you in terms of costuming in my opinion.
    True, but a theme doesn't have to carry you very far either. With Harls, it's the red-black color scheme and diamond motif. With Dinah, as we saw in her last solo, it was black, fishnets, and leather. That's enough to provide variety while still being recognizable. And I never looked at the page in her DCYOU book and said "Who is this person?"
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    True, but a theme doesn't have to carry you very far either. With Harls, it's the red-black color scheme and diamond motif. With Dinah, as we saw in her last solo, it was black, fishnets, and leather. That's enough to provide variety while still being recognizable. And I never looked at the page in her DCYOU book and said "Who is this person?"
    That's true for any hero, pretty much, even when they go through various looks. But they still keep one consistent costume for the most part.

There were some outfits where I felt like "okay, just get her back to basics." That's just me though.

There have definitely been costumes where I felt the same way. I don't want a huge departure from Dinah's classic look. I'm just saying it won't be the end of the world if she mixes it up and wears a different jacket, shirt, or boots now and then.

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

That's true for any hero, pretty much, even when they go through various looks. But they still keep one consistent costume for the most part.

There were some outfits where I felt like "okay, just get her back to basics." That's just me though.
    Not really true:

Conner Pre-Flashpoint: leather jacket, superman colors-to Jeans and black Shirt (you could say to someone that this is a new character and he would believe it)
    Raven (Pre-Flashpoint,NEW52 and Rebirth): Rebirth and Pre-Flashpoint ok, but NEW52 was much different if you look at the costume
    Tim Drake (RED ROBIN with COWL, Robin, Drake): ok the hairstyle says Tim Drake even if he wears the Drake Costume, but the Red Robin with Cowl costume made him look very different...
    Bart Allen: Bart looks very different as Impulse/Kid Flash/Flash..

If you lok at Impulse and Bart Allen as Kid Flash you would never think that they are the same person

Garth: Aqualad and Tempest are MUCH different (thank god!!!!)