Page 385 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2853353753813823833843853863873883893954354858851385 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,775 of 75153
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It requires a constitutional amendment to change it.

There is a push to remove the power of the Senate, or anything that gives small states greater power relative to their population, but it's going to be really hard to change.

That seems to be whataboutism, with the difference that typical whataboutism covers contemporaneous events, as opposed to asking public intellectuals about the actions of the government more than 45 years ago.

The likeliest outcome is no criminal prosecution, but I suspect some kind of plea deal for cooperation has more of a chance of happening than the conviction some people here think is to be expected.
    Agreed, I think a lot of people are jumping the shark in this forum, as we will have to wait to see what the charges brought forth are first....at least I have to, before I can make a rational guess as to the outcome. I do feel that equality before the law in the United States doesn't appear to be equally applied across class or race, and in which this case, would favour Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    A president can't pardon himself, Nixon damn sure couldn't, he needed his successor, Gerald Ford to give him a get out of jail free card. But, if Trump were to lose, there would be lots worse things he could do as a lame duck between early November and mid-January, provided of course he actually does leave, and Trump, perhaps the ultimate sore loser would make a real hash of things in the interim.
    Serious question-if Trump loose and decides to go scorched-earth, would the Republicans in office (lame duck or not) actually go along with it, or will they try to save their own asses and finally move to reign him in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax_X View Post
    I don't know about jail,
    but with no extradition treaty with Russia, I'd say he's likely to spend more time in Moscow than Nixon did.
    If he looses, i fully expect him to catch a flight to Russia before the inauguration.

Are we truly helpless to stop Trump from stealing the election? The insanely blatant voter suppression and vote theft (purging Democratic votes) we've seen recently in Georgia and Wisconsin were surely just a test run for November. There were no consequences for those actions and things will only get worse.

We can all envision Trump challenging every electoral college loss and I'm sure his people are thinking about the 12th Amendment scenario. Things just seem really bleak right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    If Trump loses in a landslide, both popular and EC, I fully expect him to resign in December and Pence to pardon him.

IF it's contested at the EC level, I fully expect him to try to pull a lame coup attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Are we truly helpless to stop Trump from stealing the election? The insanely blatant voter suppression and vote theft (purging Democratic votes) we've seen recently in Georgia and Wisconsin were surely just a test run for November. There were no consequences for those actions and things will only get worse.

We can all envision Trump challenging every electoral college loss and I'm sure his people are thinking about the 12th Amendment scenario. Things just seem really bleak right now.
    I don't think the landslide that's coming can be stopped. Like, in 2012, I specifically remember video from GOP "pollwatchers" in Colorado as they were filmed saying out loud how they didn't see an end to the Latino voters that were coming out in droves to vote blue. Karl Rove was in denial until the last minute. Republicans thought Romney had made Obama a one-term president, but they were wrong, even with all the voter suppression tactics and Voter ID laws they had been pushing for the two previous years.

They might be able to do that to make sure that Georgia, Ohio, and Florida stay blue. MIGHT. But the electoral map right now... Biden is pulling out to double-digit leads in enough states that are Democratically controlled and that he needs to flip from the 2016 map that it looks like he's got it on lockdown. Suppression or not. And the country isn't trending back towards Trump right now. It's slipping from him.

The Trump 2020 campaign is no longer running like it wants to win... it's acting like it wants to just whip what base it has left up into a frenzy so they're down for a second civil war. They know they're going to lose, but they want to let their base lose their minds and attack the winners out of spite.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I don't think the landslide that's coming can be stopped. Like, in 2012, I specifically remember video from GOP "pollwatchers" in Colorado as they were filmed saying out loud how they didn't see an end to the Latino voters that were coming out in droves to vote blue. Karl Rove was in denial until the last minute. Republicans thought Romney had made Obama a one-term president, but they were wrong, even with all the voter suppression tactics and Voter ID laws they had been pushing for the two previous years.

They might be able to do that to make sure that Georgia, Ohio, and Florida stay blue. MIGHT. But the electoral map right now... Biden is pulling out to double-digit leads in enough states that are Democratically controlled and that he needs to flip from the 2016 map that it looks like he's got it on lockdown. Suppression or not. And the country isn't trending back towards Trump right now. It's slipping from him.

The Trump 2020 campaign is no longer running like it wants to win... it's acting like it wants to just whip what base it has left up into a frenzy so they're down for a second civil war. They know they're going to lose, but they want to let their base lose their minds and attack the winners out of spite.
    I hope you’re right. Well, not about the Civil War part. But everything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    We have what? 11 Trump family members or campaign officials (including a super PAC) and 19 cabinet members or family that got PPP loans? 6 GOP Super PACs?

36-1. I guess since them Dems weren't perfect, it's the worst thing ever.

Both sides are bad, right?
    Yeah, a little more than one, check out Pelosi's and Shaheen's husbands to start, but you're right, both sides....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    People have a right to patronage whatever establishment they choose. If going to a restaurant makes them uncomfortable, or for whatever reason, it's their choice. It doesn't matter if you are a conservative or a liberal, there is no law saying you have to go to a specific place.

This is a year where politics is very heated, more so than in past years. People are going to act emotionally.
    Completely agree they're within their rights, just seems a little petty based only on the guy's honest answer to a question, not like he had a Trump 2020 sign in his business, plus going on line to bash him bashed on his preference, that's just wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/25/polit...ges/index.html

Damn Republicans stealing votes....wait....oh, nevermind....

The beam in thine own eye.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The beam in thine own eye.
    It's actually "Plank...", no?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Yeah, a little more than one, check out Pelosi's and Shaheen's husbands to start, but you're right, both sides....
    While I can't even believe I am going to go to bat for Pelosi, that instance should be a non-issue Democrat/Republican/Independent/Green/Whatever. While I think government should make good and sure that said loan is repaid and not forgiven, it's pretty darn silly to try to say that is "Apple..."/"Apple..." with some of those other instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    What company that Pelosi owns got the PPP loan?

Oh, I found it, as an investor, with no operational involvement, a small business he has an 8% investment in got a loan. String her up!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It's actually "Plank...", no?
    Depends on the translation. KJV is beam.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Serious question-if Trump loose and decides to go scorched-earth, would the Republicans in office (lame duck or not) actually go along with it, or will they try to save their own asses and finally move to reign him in?

If he looses, i fully expect him to catch a flight to Russia before the inauguration.
    I do believe that if Trump loses and goes scorched-Earth, the Republicans in office will push back. The Senate will not support him, his cabinet would invoke the 25th Amendment, and the Supreme Court will rule against him (if Gorsuch & Roberts are willing to say the 1964 Civil Rights bill affords employment protections to transgender individuals, they're not going to help a President who obviously lost reelection keep his job.) No one involved wants to end their political careers supporting an ineffective dictator who lost an election.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 07-09-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What company that Pelosi owns got the PPP loan?

Oh, I found it, as an investor, with no operational involvement, a small business he has an 8% investment in got a loan. String her up!
    Still doesn't change that it is a part of the overall problem(folks directly related to government getting a hand while "Mom And Pops..." got shafted...)

That it is less of an issue than some of the more glaring instances doesn't change that it is an issue.