Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Runaways Issue 1 Discussion. Spoilers no tags

First off I don't hate the art. I was a little iffy on the cover and had avoided looking at interiors so I wouldn't be upset.

Runaways art has always been a little iffy anyways.

Secondly we only get three of the 5 stars in this issue which was a bit of a bummer but I'm glad they jumped right to the good stuff which was them saving Gert

Nico is all mopey and then poof comes Chase with Gert in his arms just seconds away from death by stab wound.

The big problem is that Nico is running out of spells to use and while she pulls it off (like we knew she would) it's still stressful.

The artist seems to like side scrolling rather than keeping each page seperate.

The cliffhanger ending is someone watching Chase, Nico and Gert whilst stroking a kitty Blofeld style.

The issue was certainly better than any of the reboot/continuations of the series previously (Whedon and whoever brought it back after him) didn't read the third one that wasn't really the runaways.

Can't wait for October 11th

Also I really thought the doctor Nick summoned was gonna be Claire at first.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Oh. This was bad. I wasn't expecting it to be bad.

Where do I start...

This must be a 6-issue series indeed. Felt rushed. Messy. Dumb.

Nico should not be running out of spells like that, she'd been learning different languages. I could swear she used heal in Estonian in A-Force.

I don't know about you but to me it seems clear that the writer didn't read these characters appearing in other books but simply researched what happened to them after essentially. Seriously did Nico just call Alex by his last name? They were together again a minute ago.

Kris Anka must be so used to drawing extremely fit characters because Gert didn't look like a human being for multiple panels.

Whose idea was to have a whole first issue on bringing Gert back and not include Karolina and Moşly.

This was so bad. Hopeless handled Nico and Chase so much better.

She was talking about Alex's dad. That was who stabbed Gert not Alex.

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    She was talking about Alex's dad. That was who stabbed Gert not Alex.
    Right, that's slightly better. Still think what I said is true.

Incredible Member

I think I over hyped myself up for this issue, I left the issue feeling it was rushed and underwhelming and that not much really happened coming back. Yes they address briefly Nico's arm, but not the fact that she had been learning other languages for the fact that she would have access to multiple versions of spells. Gert is now the same age she was 2 years ago, I wonder how old the other characters are compared to her now?

hope next month is better, wish it was not a miniseries, if this series continues to let me down I'll wish the runways never go brought back instead of being brought back like this.

The author said it's not a mini series

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    The author said it's not a mini series
    Pretty sure it was confirmed to be mini thanks to the TPB scheduled.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Pretty sure it was confirmed to be mini thanks to the TPB scheduled.
    Just looked at the entry for the TPB on Amazon. It says it collects 6 issues, but doesn't say it's a mini. Six issues is a little hefty for a collection of a Marvel ongoing these days, but it could just mean the book's slated to get at least 12 issues based on pre-orders.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 09-13-2017 at 10:50 AM.

If the first story arc is six issues long (like most comic arcs are) how else would they put out a trade. No way are they bringing runaways back for a six issue mini

Matt "peace out suckas"

Incredible Member

Diamond didn't even send any issues to my store and it's a number one there is no way this is an ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Diamond didn't even send any issues to my store and it's a number one there is no way this is an ongoing.
    You have to pre order. Th ey don't just send books to a shop your shop has to order them

Matt "peace out suckas"

Twink from Young Avengers Assgardian's Avatar

I loved the art, and I appreciate that this is a slow burn in terms of the characters reuniting. That said, I also felt like this was rushed. I wish we'd seen Nico dealing more with her daily life instead of just being told about it. I wish we'd seen Chase deciding to go back to save Gert. By just having him suddenly pop up with her in his arms, it was great for shock value, but it didn't feel earned at all. It's also been two years, so why did he suddenly go back to save her all of a sudden? I needed to see his thought process and how he got to the point to be able to do it. I feel like issue one should have ended on Chase appearing to Nico for help, and issue two be them trying to save her. So yeah, this was definitely a little less satisfying than I was expecting, but I'd hyped it up so much in my head too. I love Runaways AND Rainbow Rowell, so I expected a lot. Like I said, I'm all for a slow burn arc of showing them all come together again. That seems like what they're going for, they just started at the wrong moment, IMO. Seemed a little fanfiction-y, but that's to be expected from any character resurrection, I guess. I'm still super eager to see where it goes, and I did enjoy this issue for what it was: complete fan service. And again, I love the art!

I haven't kept up with Nico in a while; what's up with her arm? I didn't even notice anything until Chase mentioned it...
    WICCANFROSTPRYDEWOLVERINEICEMANHELLIONGWENHAWKEYEMSMARVEL
    "Disappointed, Ms. Frost?" "Astonished, Ms. Pryde."
    #MutantAndProud #EmmaWasRight

Fantastic Member

I wonder where Victor and Klara are?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I wonder where Victor and Klara are?
    Victor was killed in that terrible Vision series.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I liked it well enough, but it didn't blow me away. Haven't really kept up with Nico, but the randomly tossing out spells thing felt like a step back in development. But I'm willing to write it off as her being overwhelmed by the circumstances, for now.