Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Cool Gotham City Map?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place I could find this map in higher quality?

Many Thanks,

- wolverine

Have you contacted the website that image is from to see where they got it?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

It's not comics Gotham. Where's Robinson Park, Sprang bridge and Miller/Brubaker/ONeill Avenue?

Amazing Member

Yes, it is comics Gotham, but is an old(er) map, from the very late 90s... Obviously it's not complete, but that's not the point.

And no, I haven't contacted the website but will do so imminently.

- wolverine

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It's not comics Gotham. Where's Robinson Park, Sprang bridge and Miller/Brubaker/ONeill Avenue?
    I love how they do that in Batman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine7230 View Post
    Yes, it is comics Gotham, but is an old(er) map, from the very late 90s... Obviously it's not complete, but that's not the point.

And no, I haven't contacted the website but will do so imminently.
    It's not the Gotham map that was created for No Man's Land, and has been used with variations on and off ever since. That's this:

http://www.eliotrbrown.com/wp/gotham-city-map.html

It does, however, look very much like someone's adapted it for something else. Lots of buildings in the wrong places. Not only has Robinson Park been built on, but they seem to have built over Arkham Asylum as well.

EDIT: Looks like it's the movie version.
    Last edited by jules; 12-19-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Amazing Member

Ok, I'm going to change the question on this thread to? What is the most accurate map of Gotham City out there? I don't mind if there's multiple maps, with different bits on each, but I am trying to build up the most complete image of Gotham City that there is.

- wolverine

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Ok, I'm going to change the question on this thread to? What is the most accurate map of Gotham City out there? I don't mind if there's multiple maps, with different bits on each, but I am trying to build up the most complete image of Gotham City that there is.

- wolverine
    "How do you like the place? I own a piece of it."

"Which piece?"

"It changes every day."

That's Gotham. There are maps, some stories even use the maps pretty closely, but the maps contradict each other and even with the best intentions you get stories and events that contradict each other and the maps.

The post-No Man's Land map is probably the most adhered to, in comics, though. Though, even much of that was apparently arbitrarily decided and enforced, and its construction was not a pleasant creative experience for the ficto-cartographer.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Amazing Member

Yeah, I know that it changes every other day, but I'm just looking for a detailed and the most 'correct' map there is, if there is one...

Yeah, I know that it changes every other day, but I'm just looking for a detailed and the most 'correct' map there is, if there is one...
    This is starting to sound like an oxymoron (having "the most correct map" for a place that constantly changes based on current writers and artists).

Amazing Member

Ok then, I change my question again: What is the most 'official' map of Gotham out there?

Ok then, I change my question again: What is the most 'official' map of Gotham out there?
    I would say that there are two and a half answers to that question. Ranked in my own personal order of preference:

1) The Eliot R Brown map made for No Man's Land. Created in the late '90s, and used unchanged in the comics (as far as I can see) all the way up to the New 52 reboot. I'm not sure where you'd find a better quality copy of the "clean" inks-only version than on Brown's own retelling of how it was made (see the link I gave earlier, with the final version being on page 4) but there's a two page spread version of it in Batman: No Man's Land #1 which has been coloured to mark gang areas but is probably the largest version available.

2) The modified version of that map used in Zero Year (Batman #30 is probably the cleanest copy) and elsewhere in the Snyder/Capullo run, which is essentially the movieverse map you showed above, with all the invented-for-the-movie-only names removed.

3) The movieverse map, which is heavily based on (1) but switches a few things around, squashing Robinson Park so that it isn't so obviously a Central Park analogue, moving a couple of sports stadiums, building over the entirety of the island where Arkham Asylum should be, and shifting Archie Goodwin International Airport from left to right - and in the process plonking it down right on top of where Wayne Manor ought to be. Whoops! All the names are wrong, of course. The comics namecheck a lot of city areas, parks, docks, etc... none of which are there in the movie map. Robinson Park has become South City Park, Bristol has become Pettsburg, Burnley is now Uptown and there's no sign of the Hill, Crime Alley, Robbinsville or Cape Carmine, the Trigate Bridge is now a minor bridge which will make it much less significant every time someone gets the idea to blow it up, and Blackgate Isle has been removed entirely. Amazingly though, Tricorner appears to have survived.

And, of course, the movieverse has been rebooted since then and who knows what map cinematic Gotham will be using from now on...

Amazing Member

Ok, so I found the Elliot R Brown Map:

And after some careful analysis, it seems that this is the same map as that in Batman #30, with very minor changes as far as I can tell:

Which means that now I'm finished with these maps of Gotham, I'm onto getting famous landmarks in Gotham with pictures of them and looking at where they are on the map.

As I said, I'm just trying to get a good picture/overview of Gotham for a personal project of mine.

It may be easiest to start with rail systems, major roads and infrastructure.

Does anyone know if this Gotham Rail map is correct?

Thanks,

- wolverine

Extraordinary Member

There was a completely different map in the old DC Heros RPG books.

Amazing Member

Yes, I am aware of this, and my theory is that Gotham was originally like the map you show above. Note how the three sections on the left could easily equate to the Uptown/Midtown/Downtown in the other maps. Now, the other maps only starting appearing around No Man's Land (I believe). So you could assume that after the earthquake in Cataclysm, there was a huge shift, and the whole city became three islands.

But as was said before, Gotham changes with every new writer/artist.