Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've always known Clark to hail from Smallville, Kansas. I just recently found out that wasn't always the case. Living in the rural part of the mid west would give young Clark lots of open country to test out his powers.

In MoS they had Clark wearing a Kansas City Royals shirt. Do people in the state of Kansas actually root for the Royals? A team from Kansas City, Missouri. Or did the film makers just screw up?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I always thought of SMALLVILLE in Kansas, and METROPOLIS as a city on one of the Great Lakes.

They shouldn't be close at all. Though I'm fine with it being on the east coast.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I live in the UK, so a State-bias means nothing to me.

While Kansas is the official state name, to my mind it could be anywhere in middle America that has farming as I only have a vague knowledge of the area Kansas is in. They could have made up a state name and it'd be the same ot me.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Including Hawaii and Alaska?

Are Alaska and Hawaii 100% part and parcel of America? Do they have farming? The answer to both questions is Yes! As is the answer to yours.

Smallville is all about America. Wherever there is farming in America, there is Smallville.

That means all 50 states are home to Smallville.

That's right, ALL of them:

from Maine to Hawaii,
    from Alaska to Florida,
    from Maryland to California,
    from North Dakota to Texas,
    from Colorado to Massachusetts,
    from Utah to Mississippi,
    from Arizona to Michigan,
    from Nevada to Tennessee,
    from Ohio to Idaho,
    from New York state to Wyoming,
    from Montana to Virginia,
    from Missouri to Lousiana,
    from Washington state to Georgia,
    from Alabama to Wisconsin,
    from South Dakota to South Carolina,
    from West Virginia to Nevada,
    from Vermont to New Mexico,
    from Oregon to New Hampshire,
    from North Carolina to Iowa,
    from Minnesota to Oklahoma,
    from Nebraska to Connecticut,
    from Delaware to Arkansas,
    from Pennsylvania to Indiana,
    from Kentucky to New Jersey,
    from Rhode Island to Kansas

Let every state in the American Union* proudly declare: "We have Smallville!"

* - apologies for the Disqualifications of the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 07-09-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    In MoS they had Clark wearing a Kansas City Royals shirt. Do people in the state of Kansas actually root for the Royals? A team from Kansas City, Missouri. Or did the film makers just screw up?
    I find that baseball fans tend to ignore state borders, and within a certain range, just root for the baseball team that's geographically closest to them. In Central Illinois, where I went to high school, there's a large contingent of Cardinals fans, and I knew someone from Alaska who said the Mariners were popular up there.

A peek at the NYT map of baseball fans by zip code, most of Kansas is Royals country.

I've always known Clark to hail from Smallville, Kansas. I just recently found out that wasn't always the case. Living in the rural part of the mid west would give young Clark lots of open country to test out his powers.
    Well, if wide open spaces are the main requirement, just about any state in America will do. Every state has farming to some degree, not just Kansas.

Check out a map. The Kansas City metropolitan area actually straddles the state line between Kansas and Missouri, with many of the suburbs officially in Kansas. I guess for MAN OF STEEL, their Smallville is more in the eastern part of the state.

I would prefer that Smallville not be specified as being in Kansas. Wasn’t it originally on the east?

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...s-revealed-87/ Scroll down

The locations of Metropolis and Smallville should be wherever the reader imagines them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey Leopard View Post
    The locations of Metropolis and Smallville should be wherever the reader imagines them.
    THIS. Times 10.

Astonishing Member

I live on a farm five hours (200ish miles) from NYC. It sure as hell feels like Smallville. Town has less than 800 people. Graduated in a class of 60. More cows. More trees, though. Not endless corn. But we're close enough to urban decay boom towns that it feels more like the outskirts of Hub City.

I can dig the Kansas fine, I quite like it because it jives with UFOlogy and crop circle phenomenon, and the irony of an alien sun god messianic figure cropping up in the bible belt.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I prefer the idea that Smallville isn't tied to any particular state. It lends itself to the idea that Clark/Superman represents the everyman. Clark's a regular guy who could be from anywhere. So no need to specify a state for Smallville. It lends itself to the Superman mythos.

People in Kansas don't root for Kansas City teams? I mean what other teams can they root for?
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

According to the map I posted above, far west KS fans root for the Rockies, and Yankee fans are everywhere, but yeah, mostly Royals.

I'm all in favor of Smallville being firmly planted in the middle of Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I'm all in favor of Smallville being firmly planted in the middle of Kansas.
    Yes...where it is and has always been. And rants about most states having a smallville are irrelevant. The Smallville is in Kansas. In the comics. Even on the show Smallville.
    Why ignore 70 years of history.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Yes...where it is and has always been. And rants about most states having a smallville are irrelevant. The Smallville is in Kansas. In the comics. Even on the show Smallville.
    Why ignore 70 years of history.
    70 years of history? Smallville wasn't in Kansas until the movie.

Smallville makes sense as a town near Metropolis, and no way would Metropolis be in a place like Kansas.