Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Oh, I didn’t mean that he immediately latched onto the nickname, but I assumed he had found out at some point and did a bit of introspective thinking on the matter and how Northstar treated him. Plus, I thought Northstar meant ‘otter’ in the gay slang sort of sense, like Hercules is a ‘bear’. But Bobby was definitely overcompensating during his closeted days but it worked somehow-
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    OK, got ya. I do agree that JP was testing the waters while he and Bobby were snarking at each other way back when, yeah.

I do wonder how unknowing Bobby was about gay slang/culture sometimes. He never went to a gay bar, never made a move with a guy, sure, but never surreptitiously visited a message board? A wiki page?
    Jean-Paul: Otter-pop, shut up. You’re annoying me.

Iceman: haha. oh, Northstar.
    Iceman: ........*rushes home to google “what does it mean when your gay friend calls you an otter pop”*
    See, I didn't think it was gay slang back then (as it's likely intended to be now). I thought he was calling Bobby an 'otter-pop' because he was literally a blue popsicle when iced up and Otter-Pops were a known brand of freeze-pops at the time in the US and Canada. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    See, I didn't think it was gay slang back then (as it's likely intended to be now). I thought he was calling Bobby an 'otter-pop' because he was literally a blue popsicle when iced up and Otter-Pops were a known brand of freeze-pops at the time in the US and Canada. Lol.
    Possibly, but either way it works. The Urban Dictionary has entries for "otter" as gay slang around the time Chuck Austen was on UXM (early 2000's), and with the weird way Marvel time works, even if we go with Williams' explanation being a retcon, it's still plausible.

what Otter-pop slang mean?

BANNED

I LOVED it....

The definitive best to worst list so far (Prisoner X will continue to make us all weep and cheer):
    • Prisoner X
    • X-Tremists
    • Amazing Nightcrawler
    • Nextgen
    • Marvelous X-Men
    • Apocalypse and the X-Tracts
    Last edited by Tycon; 06-26-2019 at 01:35 PM.

The definitive best to worst list so far (Prisoner X will continue to make us all weep and cheer):
    • Prisoner X
    • X-Tremists
    • Amazing Nightcrawler
    • Nextgen
    • Marvelous X-Men
    For me its:
    Prisoner X
    Next Gen
    Amazing Nightrawler
    X-tremists
    Marvelous X-men
    Apocalypse and the X-tracts

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    For me its:
    Prisoner X
    Next Gen
    Amazing Nightrawler
    X-tremists
    Marvelous X-men
    Apocalypse and the X-tracts
    I think my low placement has to do with my already high disdain at Glob being a central figure in this event and not a one-off villain who should’ve been depowered and forgotten about. And the downer ending wasn’t just a downer ending but it made the entire story moot. At least with Seanan’s book, the downer ending still affected those characters in interesting ways that could shape them after the event is over.

Astonishing Member

What do you mean ‘were’? Children all over the US still love those corn syrup filled popsicles.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    What do you mean ‘were’? Children all over the US still love those corn syrup filled popsicles.
    Speak for yourself. The sharp edges of the frozen plastic meant most kids always had a "grape with large hint of blood" flavor.

I liked this issue a lot. I agree with most that Prisoner X and Xtremists are the best of the Age of X-man books. I think Marvelous is the worst by far and I actually enjoyed what I've read of Apocalypse and the X-tracts.
    Leah did a good job with all of her characters. I felt for Blob, Psylocke, Jubilee, Iceman, and Northstar. I would love to see her write Jean Grey one day. I hope she gets to write more X-books (same goes for the writer of Prisoner X).

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She's Caucasian
    Thanks. she looked more like it in some panels in this issue.

I'm not going to lie, i teared up at this issue. most emotional comic i've read in awhile. So many MVPs in this issue. And there was just something so sweet yet real and hard about Jubliee's narrative. You could feel their pain in this issue.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

• Prisoner X
    • X-Tremists
    • Amazing Nightcrawler
    • Nextgen
    • Marvelous X-Men
    I'd switch Nightcrawler with Prisoner X, the rest is absolutely right.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Just finished reading this... I’m so impressed and completely loved the issue. It tied the series up perfectly! Jubilee’s narrative was so true to character... and it was awesome to see a writer accurately acknowledge her power potential, heart, and back story (like the Aunt Hope reference from the Kirkman Jubilee series.) Leah did a fantastic job.

You know it’s definitely worth noting that the ending of this book softens the blow of Nextgen since Betsy not only reveals that she never actually erased anyone’s memories but also returned them to everyone. So Armor, Anole and Rockslide should also have gotten their memories back from the mindwipe. Kurt however isn’t so lucky since Department X weren’t the ones mindwiping him.

This issue was actually good. Loved Jubilee in this! There are some nice moments for Psylocke and Blob too. So that’s two out of five issues that I liked. I’m not terribly pleased with this series, but it had it’s good parts.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 06-26-2019 at 11:32 PM.