Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I blame the skateboard. I barely even remember him using the goofy thing, but for some reason it's always the first thing people mention when they want to mock the character. It's just too... 90's for some people.

I mean.. it's not like he was Rocket Racer :P Who honestly I always liked... but the skateboard wasn't a huge part of NT's arsenal.

Ultimate Member

Heh, I picked up New Warriors because I had a Speedball, Nova and Firestar comic in my collection, and saw them on the cover. My first experience with Thrash was him disbanding the team!

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    It's less about it being interesting and more to do with given his apparent "death" and absence from the Marvel universe for so many years the likelihood of Dwayne still having a company, let alone the wealth and resources that come with it, would be virtually nonexistent. And that's not including the stigma he'd get for his role in the Stamford incident and being associated with the New Warriors, any money he might actually have left would probably go to paying off any number of outstanding lawsuits people would pursue against him.

Rationalizing aside I think it would be more interesting to see him have to work his way from the ground up because at the end of the day I REALLY LIKE THE CONCEPTS I PITCHED!
    Yeah, he'd be legally dead, and so unless his brother (who probably inherited everything) handed everything back (and he probably spent it all on his New Warriors), he's starting from scratch. This is exactly the problem the Fantastic Four has. Reed was declared dead, and Johnny inherited his money. He spent it on Avengers Mansion (he was an Uncanny Avenger at the time), the Baxter Building having been already sold (as we now know, to the Liberteens, who set up shop as the Fantastix). So when Reed returned, he had nowhere to return to. They ended up converting Ben Grimm's apartment building into a new HQ.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I blame the skateboard. I barely even remember him using the goofy thing, but for some reason it's always the first thing people mention when they want to mock the character. It's just too... 90's for some people.

I mean.. it's not like he was Rocket Racer :P Who honestly I always liked... but the skateboard wasn't a huge part of NT's arsenal.
    I wonder why no one mocks Silver Surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, he'd be legally dead, and so unless his brother (who probably inherited everything) handed everything back (and he probably spent it all on his New Warriors), he's starting from scratch. This is exactly the problem the Fantastic Four has. Reed was declared dead, and Johnny inherited his money. He spent it on Avengers Mansion (he was an Uncanny Avenger at the time), the Baxter Building having been already sold (as we now know, to the Liberteens, who set up shop as the Fantastix). So when Reed returned, he had nowhere to return to. They ended up converting Ben Grimm's apartment building into a new HQ.
    I would think that there'd be legal precedent for Dwayne reclaiming the business. he, technically, never died. this isn't the first time that something like this has happened in the Marvel Universe. all of the more popular Avengers have been dead at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    It's less about it being interesting and more to do with given his apparent "death" and absence from the Marvel universe for so many years the likelihood of Dwayne still having a company, let alone the wealth and resources that come with it, would be virtually nonexistent. And that's not including the stigma he'd get for his role in the Stamford incident and being associated with the New Warriors, any money he might actually have left would probably go to paying off any number of outstanding lawsuits people would pursue against him.
    wouldn't those lawsuits have already been made/dealt with by the Taylor Foundation? I might be misremembering. but didn't Donyell have to deal with that? seems like he should have. did anyone sue Speedball or Namorita?
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-08-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    "WORK for it Dwayne, Iron Crosses for 10 mins don't impress me anymore" - Andrew Chord

I immediately set out to do that move in real life it took me till jr. year of high school to do it for 10 seconds. Jeez.

Night Thrasher and really the new warriors in general was just a superlative character set. I miss them. I hated everything that happened with them after a certain point, but I realize it now it was when I picked up the book and dwayne wasn't there,
    then civil war... just... such disrespect.

I never understood what people saw in the Teen Titans. No really I know people loved it but to me when I was a kid I felt like ... why read about The legion of copycat sidekicks?

Seeing the New warriors miss that trope have their own thing separate from the avengers? I loved that.

Dwayne though was so special. I knew he was from the moment he told Richard Nova... "I didn't"
    Saying he didn't know dropping him off that building would turn his powers back on.
    that's something that I would have liked to see in live-action.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Because his board is a lot cooler, and he can beat up more people

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Because his board is a lot cooler, and he can beat up more people
    I can almost guarantee that Dwayne has "beat up" more people than Norrin. and even Iron Man admitted that his skateboard was cool.

Ultimate Member

I can almost guarantee that Dwayne has "beat up" more people than Norrin. and even Iron Man admitted that his skateboard was cool.
    I'll take that bet. SS has beaten up Hulk

In all seriousness, Dwayne's biggest problem is that they are now leaning into a random McDuffie complaint, the skateboard.

Just ditch that, take him back to basics and I think Dwayne would do fine.

For the record, I actually like the skate board. It's somewhat unique, and allows him to stand out from the pack visually and functionally. I don't think anyone honestly hates the character JUST for the skate board.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'll take that bet. SS has beaten up Hulk.
    that's one person. put it into perspective. Surfer punches in close to Hulk's weight class. if Night Thrasher had Surfer's strength, he could beat the green off of him.

From The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition #25 (December 1992):

Keep forgetting that he's 6'3". It's hard to tell when he stands next to Rage.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

that's something that I would have liked to see in live-action.
    Well... I'm 290 now not 171, I wish back in 97 everyone had phones like they do today, but its amazing what kids can do when they bout that life.
    So yeah I was seriously inspired as a kid by Night thrasher, I wish he was more prominent.
    Brutally honest here, since marvel said "Commitment to Diversity" I'd thought they'd bring him back to the forefront... instead Miles Morales. Smh ffs.

Huh... Alliteration?
    He's just grandfathered in and no one questions it.

The fact that he's a "COSMIC" entity is another reason you expect to see aliens doing all kinds of weird ****, and it isn't particularly narrative breaking.

Meanwhile...
    A guy skateboarding down the side of a building then performing martial arts wonders on you... definitely elicits the (>_>) w...t..h.. response.
    As a kid I was squinting at that situation pretty hard I guess.

Thats why I mentioned just replacing it with a Goblin Glider type apparatus, blacked out B2futures style hover board or a williams x-jet looking thing. I think the last person with one I saw was the executioner in thunderbolts... or moonknight?
    But... ultimately flying is more legit to the super hero aestetic that most other means of transformation (Batmobile being the notable exception that proves the rule".
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Nobody mocks Silver Surfer? Part of the reason that character can't transition into modern comics is that character is stuck with that gimmick.There is no reason to mock character who is never coming out of guest star limbo again.

Thankful for Night Thrasher that his name can been seen "Thrasher" as in beat the crap out of something and skateboarding does not have to play a part. Night thrasher costume has really cool elements