Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Obi-Wan, my friend, you had ader at your mercy. He's a mass-murdering monster, KILL HIM AND PUT AN END TO THIS!

(I get this is a prequel and that couldn't happen, but still, it felt like, "dude, what are you doing"?)
    After a second watch, I'm okay with this. DV was down, and murder is not the Jedi way, whether smart or not.

I've often thought that what makes the Sith so dangerous to the Jedi is not their power, or treachery, or relentless violence, it's that a point comes where the Jedi has to back off if he is to retain his power. If fear, or anger takes hold, they either lose their grip on the force, or fall into the grip of the dark side. I see it as a metaphor for the adage that good has no guarantees against evil unless good is very, very smart.

I want to see Roken just randomly in the background of a Rebel Alliance scene. Maybe not in Andor, but at some point.

I like how Grand Inquisitor advises another course of action, Vader tells them to focus on Kenobi without needing to flex on GI, and then GI shuts up rather than pursue it further. Even if there probably were plenty of options for them to after both Obi-Wan and the Path without much issue.

Leia obviously inspired by Tala and using her holster although honestly she reminded me more of her mother in her work outfit. Also wearing white like her brother.

The Obi-Wan vs Vader rematch was what they'd been hyping since the series was announced and it lived up to the hype.

Now it's Vader who has the high ground.

They pulled a Rebels with Vader's mask and voice, only instead of Matt Lanter it's now Hayden. But it was still just as, if not more, effective and helped explain Obi-Wan's stance on Vader killing Anakin that he told Luke and why he called him "Darth." And setting up why it always had to be Luke to redeem him.

Owen and Beru for best aunt and uncle. We really get to see how much they cared for and were protective of Luke, and that they were pretty capable on their own terms. They definitely took some Stormtroopers with them.

I think they toed the line with going a little too far with Reva getting close to Luke, but at least he never saw her and they can write it off as the Tuskens.

Reva got the obvious redemption story. I mean, it makes sense that she would see herself becoming the very thing that almost killed her and friends and stop herself, although other than the Owen and Beru fight did we need Reva in this episode? I don't really have much interest in seeing her again after this series.

Obi-Wan still the only canon Jedi other than Luke to say they conclusively beat Vader...I think?

I feel like Obi-Wan showing up on Alderaan was a little much even if I get we needed some closure with Leia, and telling her how much she reminded him of her birth parents was a nice scene.

I wonder whatever happened to Lola. She grew out of it? Couldn't maintain it any more?

I love how Vader is prepared to scour the entire universe to hunt down Obi-Wan and Sidious is like "take a chill pill, Darth."

"Hello There!" - They just couldn't resist.

Qui-Gon! It's good to know Ben didn't go into seclusion with just himself but he had Force Ghost Qui-Gon to keep him company. And Owen is a little more okay with him (even though Obi-Wan kind of dropped the ball with Luke and would've been screwed if Reva hadn't regained her conscience).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Look, this series is what it is. It was always going to suffer from prequalitis even more than even the prequels. Which means it will be a bit pointless, a bit lacking in stakes, and a bit lacking in logic. Taken for what it is, though, I thought the show was largely solid all around with a pretty killer lead performance at its heart, though yes, could just as easily have been a movie. This final episode, though, really, really worked for me, on an emotional level, and that's about all you can reasonably hope for from something like this. Loved the Vader/ Kenobi showdown, loved the stuff with Obi Wan and Leia (the soul of the show), loved Obi Wan getting his mojo back and finding a way to move on, loved the manipulative score, and the even more manipulative cameos. You can probably nitpick it to death but, honestly, at this point, why even bother?
    Pretty much. Fun to watch, but none of the main characters were ever in real danger. And it takes some doing to reconcile it with ANH. But not thinking about it and just sitting back, it was enjoyable. The whole Reva storyline didn't do anything for me though.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Iatet View Post
    Why do so-called fans, think that because a character isn't in the original trilogy, they should be dead, or are killed off elsewhere? That seems kinda lizard brained.
    A good writer can write in and out characters without killing them to appease the fanbase.

Star Wars fans love to murder folks, lol.
    I think it is more about lining up with what we know about the original trilogy. Yoda tells Luke that after he is gone, "last of the Jedi will you be." It's OK if other Jedi survive, but Yoda and Obi-Wan should have no knowledge of them. "Well Reva is still around, she has trained in the Force and doesn't like Vader, maybe she can help."

So while Reva doesn't need to die, she should at least either renounce the Force or somehow end up cut off from the Force. (Plus, it IS a little weird Vader left her alive after her betrayal considering he has killed Imperial officers for far less.)

FYI, I really liked the series as a whole, the final two episodes were very good, imo. (I kinda wish they didn't do "Book of Boba Fett" and used the budget from that series to improve some of the fx in this one. Maybe they can release a "special edition" of Obi-Wan in the future, with newly enhanced special effects and additional footage or something. Maybe edit it together into an actual film.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    A few episodes earlier he tried to drag Kenobi through fire slowly to burn him alive in a slow, painful death. It makes perfect sense in the context of the show that he would leave someone that betrayed him there to essentially bleed out slowly and die.
    Well, it was personal with Obi-Wan. Also, Vader didn't just leave before Obi-Wan was dead. The only reason Obi-Wan wasn't killed was because someone intervened. There's no reason for him to wound somebody that knows who he is and can cause him trouble and then just walk off before they were dead.

My only complaint is that Reva should have stayed dead when Vade struck her down. Her story arc reached its logical conclusion making her survival feel forced. Other than that, it was a good show not great but good - 3.5 out of 5 stars above average but by no means a masterpiece, IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

An after thought. This makes ANH sadder. If I recall, Obi-Wan and Leah never see each other on the Death Star. In the scene when they are running into the Falcon as Obi-WQan gives himself up, you can't tell if they do. Luke stops to look, but not his sister. So it's a reunion that doesn't happen.
    Of course they didn't know each other when ANH was made and there was no reason for Leah to show grief. (of course she didn't so much grief over Alderon and he family either). But now they have reconned something new we can continually argue over.

On another note, if they do a season 2, I wonder if they will bring Reva back? The fan reaction to her has not been good. And I am not talking about the idiot bigots. Most fans just did not like the character. Maybe they can show her living a Forceless life in the first ep and move on.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-24-2022 at 06:03 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    ... But yeah Obi-wan had two chances to put Anakin down once and for all! goddamnit plot armor continuity!
    Well, let's not forget the third time in ANH when Obi-Wan lets Vader kill him. If it weren't for Han, Vader would have then gone on the kill Luke and save the Death Star. Obi-Wan not trying to kill Vader/Annakin is just a mistake he kept on making until his dying breath. As it is, he went on to do more harm and killed more people, but at least Obi-Wan showed mercy I guess.

It's kinda funny how people have been complaining about the logic of this show when almost all of it was done from the very beginning. A New Hope set the stage for it being a fast-paced sci-fi serial that defies logic. Remember how it all ended with one shot fired into a port that destroyed the entire base? They had to make a whole other movie to explain how that made sense. I saw one complaint about how it was stupid the imperial base didn't even have security cameras -- well, neither did the Death Star. Now fans are demanding this show bend over backwards to explain other little things just so it all aligns as though canon is the most important thing. This franchise had no idea Vader was Luke's father until they made the second movie and had no idea Leia was Luke's sister until they actually made the third movie, yet some fans are up in arms that stuff doesn't make sense in Star Wars.... I mean, have you seen the films?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-24-2022 at 11:54 AM.

I agree jack. These are all fun, but I find it funny when fans defend obvious inconsistencies between different shows, movies and cartoons as if they can't possibly exist. It is like arguing with a Bible literalist.

Show finished stronger than I could have expected. Pretty damn satisfied with the finale.

Reva's redemption was a let down. Sure, everyone saw it coming from the very first trailer but I had held out hope that we'd be wrong. Like okay, she didn't kill a child, which is right and correct; she became an Inquisitor just so she could get close to Vader and I never expected her to repeat the massacre that she went through. But still, she could have decided not to kill Luke and still remain an evil dark sider. I dislike the notion that a whole lifetime spent in the dark side of the Force could be wiped away simply because there's *one* horrible thing she couldn't bring herself to do.

Plus her plan to kill Luke never made much sense; she wants to hurt Vader by killing his kid, the way he killed Reva's friends? Well, it's not gonna cause Vader any pain if he doesn't know about the child in the first place, and Organa's message to Kenobi makes it pretty clear Vader isn't aware of Luke.

But other than that? Damn good finale. Never expected Owen and Beru to be such badasses, and I love the way Beru just takes charge like she's a veteran clone trooper just going about the day's work. Clearly these two knew exactly how bad things could get, raising the son of Vader, and prepared for that as best they could. Props to them!

I suppose it could be argued that Kenobi and Vader were Force flexing a little too much, there was a display of power here that we rarely, if ever, see from either of them. But it was cool as hell so I accept it happily, and we can always rationalize it as both of them going all out and not holding anything back, putting in that maximum effort.

Not bothered by Kenobi letting Vader live. Not the first time he's allowed an enemy combatant to survive even when that was a dumb choice. Kenobi kills when he has to, but has he ever murdered a foe who was defeated and unable to defend themselves? Even when he probably should?

Not bothered by Vader letting Reva live either. He proved quite solidly that she was not a threat to him. Letting her live in her failure rather than killing her seems a properly Sith kind of punishment. And while Vader will kill his officers and minions when they fail him, that's "moment of passion" murder. He let Reva stay close to him for who knows how long, knew she'd try to betray him, and had plenty of time to consider proper punishments. Letting her live was, in its own way, crueler than just killing her and putting her out of her misery.

Kenobi going to visit Leia was a nice moment, but pulled me out of the story a bit. That just seemed a huge risk to take. Maybe they feared the Empire would pick up a transmission if they just did it via hologram communique, but Kenobi going in person and talking to the Organas right there in the open where anyone could see them just felt stupidly reckless given everything they had just gone through, and the fact that for all they knew Vader was still hunting Kenobi. But it's a minor nitpick, and it was still a nice epilogue, so like many things in this show I'll give it a pass even if it was questionable.

All in all I think the show tied things up pretty well and ultimately stayed in-line with A New Hope. Or, at least it didn't ultimately diverge any further than any other Star Wars project.

The show still had a weird inconsistency to it's writing, but it ended strong, and I'm pretty happy all in all. It wasn't as good as Mando, but I'm starting to think that show is the exception, not the rule, and we shouldn't go into any of these things expecting that degree of quality. For now, I'm gonna use Kenobi as the baseline; if a show can reach Mando levels then great, but as long as it's as good as Kenobi was (better than Boba Fett), I'll call it a win.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-24-2022 at 09:00 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't need to see Reva again outside being in seclusion and at peace. I don't think there's anything more to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't need to see Reva again outside being in seclusion and at peace. I don't think there's anything more to do with her.
    The only thing I can think of would be for her to become a dark sider who hunts dark siders, like the Ronan from that Visions cartoon.

That could be cool and a rarely seen archetype in the franchise, and I think Reva makes sense for such a thing. Plus it would explain her exclusion in the Rebellion era, she's not a Jedi so Yoda or Kenobi wouldn't mention her to Luke, and the Rebellion isn't gonna trust a dark sider, especially when that dark sider once tried to kill one of the Rebellion's most important leaders.

But I'm in no rush to see that happen. I'd be perfectly fine if Reva never appeared again and I'm beyond tired of the "redeemed dark sider" troupe. But if they were to bring her back? I wouldn't be crazy upset if they took her down this path and I think the actress could do really well with it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The only thing I can think of would be for her to become a dark sider who hunts dark siders, like the Ronan from that Visions cartoon.

That could be cool and a rarely seen archetype in the franchise, and I think Reva makes sense for such a thing. Plus it would explain her exclusion in the Rebellion era, she's not a Jedi so Yoda or Kenobi wouldn't mention her to Luke, and the Rebellion isn't gonna trust a dark sider, especially when that dark sider once tried to kill one of the Rebellion's most important leaders.

But I'm in no rush to see that happen. I'd be perfectly fine if Reva never appeared again and I'm beyond tired of the "redeemed dark sider" troupe. But if they were to bring her back? I wouldn't be crazy upset if they took her down this path and I think the actress could do really well with it.
    I don't think there's really much of a role for her in that because it would be just her hunting Inquisitors, and honestly I think she'd want to get as far away from that as possible. I don't think she has it in her to keep fighting, she just wants peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Reva's redemption was a let down. Sure, everyone saw it coming from the very first trailer but I had held out hope that we'd be wrong. Like okay, she didn't kill a child, which is right and correct; she became an Inquisitor just so she could get close to Vader and I never expected her to repeat the massacre that she went through. But still, she could have decided not to kill Luke and still remain an evil dark sider. I dislike the notion that a whole lifetime spent in the dark side of the Force could be wiped away simply because there's *one* horrible thing she couldn't bring herself to do.
    I don't think she was meant to be redeemed in any way. She only just got to the point where she stopped herself from going further into the Dark Side. She can go in either direction, which was reflected in Ben's words to her - it's up to her where she goes, but in this show she was able to put on the breaks for the first time. I don't think it was more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To follow up my thought above, she can go anywhere - that's the point of where we leave her. And there's a lot going on in the galaxy at the moment, so she can end up finding a place in any of the world-building stories that we know are still out there to be told. (if they choose to use her) The most obvious is that she does try to redeem herself by joining the rebellion, maybe hooking up with other characters we already know and playing a part in their story.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-24-2022 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    To follow up my thought above, she can go anywhere - that's the point of where we leave her. And there's a lot going on in the galaxy at the moment, so she can end up finding a place in any of the world-building stories that we know are still out there to be told. (if they chose to use her) The most obvious is that she does try to redeem herself by joining the rebellion, maybe hooking up with other characters we already know and playing a part in their story.
    I feel like the Rebellion has had enough former Jedi, Faux-Jedi, or actual Jedi involved with them before Luke joined up, but I wonder if they feel like we need more POC Force-Users even if Reva wasn't entirely popular.

I don't think we even have that great a baseline for her abilities because she never got into that big a fight with a name character. Vader basically treated her like nothing.