Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Funny thing is back in the 1970s, "Bruce" was used as a kind of homophobic slur and it just seemed embarrassing that Batman was Bruce Wayne. I thought that would stick to Batman like glue. Then Bruce Springsteen came along and the bad jokes about "Bruce" disappeared.

Names go in cycles. As for using names to refer to the male body part--there are so many given names and family names that have this association, eventually with enough time probably every male name and a few female names will end up being used in that way.
    I doubt names are going to go through cycles enough that Dick will ever stop meaning penis. And I can't think of that many names that refer to the male body part - Dick, names with Dick in it like Dickinson or Dickens, Johnson, and I just spent over a minute after typing Johnson trying to think of another and came up blank. Maybe there's one or two others. And I'd be surprised if names not associated with it ever become so.

Kind of curious about Bruce though. Why and how was that ever a homophobic slur? Was like there a gay character or famous person who had the name Bruce and that's how that association came about? Just seems like a weird name to have that kind of meaning.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I doubt names are going to go through cycles enough that Dick will ever stop meaning penis. And I can't think of that many names that refer to the male body part - Dick, names with Dick in it like Dickinson or Dickens, Johnson, and I just spent over a minute after typing Johnson trying to think of another and came up blank. Maybe there's one or two others. And I'd be surprised if names not associated with it ever become so.

Kind of curious about Bruce though. Why and how was that ever a homophobic slur? Was like there a gay character or famous person who had the name Bruce and that's how that association came about? Just seems like a weird name to have that kind of meaning.
    Yeah, I'm not going to go into anymore detail on either of these, as I think I've probably used up my NSFW license for the month.

Astonishing Member

Dick works as a nickname because Nightwing isn't a dick(most of the time). Its charmingly ironic if a bit old fashioned. Ric Grayson is probably the most dickish Dick has been in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No one under a certain age still uses it in the real world. I've never met anyone under 40/45 called Dick. Since we're supposed to believe the character is in his 20s it's definitely a bit odd. Basically the only reason he's called Dick is because he's always been called Dick. It's the same reason why the trunks keep coming back for Batman and Superman, because fans hate change even if that means leaving things stuck in the 30s despite making little to no in universe modern age sense.

Personally I think instead of a big, horridly received story they should have just slowly and quietly phased out the Dick name with no fanfare.
    Don't know where you live but I've known at least two Dicks, one of them in his 20's, the other in his 30's. Changing it would be like changing Peter Parker's name to Paul Parker because Peter is also a slang term for penis.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I really don't see the problem with Dick Grayson, like at all. Anyone who finds it "weird" must be young. Or live in a bubble.
    I think if you have a problem with the name Dick, you're the problem. Seriously it's his name, get over it.

Constantly bringing it up and acting like it's holding the character back or brand or whatever is ludicrous.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

i dont want to loose this content

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I would have preferred something more exotic, like Ricardo.
    That's how he was called when i met him, a part of me would always see him as Ricardo Tapia
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The name Ric is guilty by association with a corporate-mandated direction of unclear reasoning that nobody asked and produce nothing new nor interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The name Ric is guilty by association with a corporate-mandated direction of unclear reasoning that nobody asked and produce nothing new nor interesting
    Maybe the Ric Flair route?

No, not flashy enough. Besides, "Ric" Grayson isn't even a pro-wrestler.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Maybe the Ric Flair route?

No, not flashy enough. Besides, "Ric" Grayson isn't even a pro-wrestler.
    Please don't associate the awesomeness of Ric Flair with the abomination named Ric that has taken over the Nightwing series.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Censorship Sucks

People who have a problem with the name Dick are just a little to sensitive.

It is as simple as this for me: You do NOT update names of fictional characters created ages ago based on popularity/sensitivity of a."current" time because the fictional heroes are ageless and timeless. Perceptions of people may change in time, an unpopular name may become popular again at some point etc etc as people and times change but fictional heroes and their names are constants. They are the name character was created with and known as. The name carries their "history" which is not something to be ashamed off and ignore but rather proud of. Dick Grayson still being around after 80 years IS a big deal. So what if his name shows it. Who cares? It wont stop people from reading him (including younger generation). It wont prevent him from being popular or regarded as cool (assuming he is written properly). His name doesnt take anything from him...

And really the argument comes down to "no one in MY time and MY proximity is called Dick anymore so he shouldnt either". Again. He is timeless and ageless and in a fictional world and obviously in HIS world the name Dick is still used.

Besides it would look ridiculous for a character who wnet with Dick Grayson for 80 years to suddenly stsrt being called "Ric" or Rick" or "Rich". I mean what,, one day he woke up and decided the name he was given by his parents and what everyone has been calling him so far is "bad" and not hip enough so decides to change it and everyone just goes with it? Lol Even the stupid amnesia story wouldnt really work to justify it imho, even if it was written half-decent. Because in the end he would have to get his memories back and once they are back no reason for him to stick with same name he went by during a traumatic time over the name and family and friends have been using for all his life. And dont even get me started on the whole "all he remembers is his circus life so he changed the name his BIOLOGICAL PARENTS gave him -and one of the only things he knows and remembers about himself- and started going with something else to distance himself from all things Bruce" thing.. and Ric? Really Ric? I rather he went with John or completely made up a new name while at it.

Also, dont deny Dc their Dick" jokes...
    Last edited by Schumiac; 09-02-2019 at 02:14 AM.

Because if you want your character to survive, you need to make them accessible for the younger generation. Older fans won't live forever and no character can be "ageless" and "timeless" unless they get updated regularly every few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Please don't associate the awesomeness of Ric Flair with the abomination named Ric that has taken over the Nightwing series.
    I was just going to post, unless your last name is Flair, you shouldn't go by Ric.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Because if you want your character to survive, you need to make them accessible for the younger generation. Older fans won't live forever and no character can be "ageless" and "timeless" unless they get updated regularly every few decades.
    Funny I was dressing up as Dick Robin when I was 4 and loving him in BTAS in 2002 and he's been my favorite fictional character ever since. He's was pretty accessible for me at an extremely young age. The name Dick has never been an issue and never will be one because it's not.